Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2006, 09:21 AM   #1  
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
pilotswife's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2005
Posts: 16
Default FedEx Junior FO Base

Can anyone please tell me what bases new hires are being placed into the right seat..

Also, if you live at your base, can you tell me what the QOL is...

Are there out and backs?

Thank you!
pilotswife is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 02:40 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
fedupbusdriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: A300/310 Capt
Posts: 1,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotswife
Can anyone please tell me what bases new hires are being placed into the right seat..

Also, if you live at your base, can you tell me what the QOL is...

Are there out and backs?

Thank you!
As far as getting hired into the right seat as a new hire, you would be based in Anchorage Alaska. The QOL would be reserve from 12am (midnight) to noon. I do not think that there are many (if any) out and backs in ANC, and if there is they would go to the guys who live in Anchorage with seniority. QOL would happen much quicker in Memphis in the back of the 727. Waht is you husbands name?
fedupbusdriver is offline  
Old 08-05-2006, 05:29 PM   #3  
...Whatever It Is!
 
MD11Fr8Dog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedupbusdriver
As far as getting hired into the right seat as a new hire, you would be based in Anchorage Alaska.
I think the next class will have B727 SOs!
MD11Fr8Dog is offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 01:44 PM   #4  
Line Holder
 
MD11driver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: MD-11 F/O
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedupbusdriver
As far as getting hired into the right seat as a new hire, you would be based in Anchorage Alaska. The QOL would be reserve from 12am (midnight) to noon. I do not think that there are many (if any) out and backs in ANC, and if there is they would go to the guys who live in Anchorage with seniority. QOL would happen much quicker in Memphis in the back of the 727. Waht is you husbands name?
No out and backs from Anchorage...unless you consider the ANC-EWR, 25 hours in EWR, then EWR-ANC an out and back.

Living in domicile anywhere, you will have a higher QOL than a commuter...hands down. More days off (or at least more hours off), flexibility in bidding your schedule, drive from your home to the airport (as opposed to driving from a hotel or crashpad), not having to jumpseat in then operate a trip, etc., etc.

Some from the next training class are also going straight into the right seat of the 727 in MEM. But who knows what the company has planned in the coming months?
MD11driver is offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 08:32 PM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
captain_drew's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: FredEx Captain-Retired
Posts: 408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD11driver
Some from the next training class are also going straight into the right seat of the 727 in MEM. But who knows what the company has planned in the coming months?
Someone should point out to the nice lady that going right to a window seat is NOT the pilot panacea it might appear to be.

Due to seniority, hubby goes RIGHT to the bottom of the list in that seat and is junior to lots of other people in more junior seats . .who will . . over time bid over to hubby's seat . .thereby holding him down for a LONG time. Can you spell s-t-a-g-n-a-t-i-o-n? Being junior on any list gives you QOL alright, and it is lousey. The only thing worse is being there forever

If you are interested in QOL. . this is not a good way to go. It would be better to see all the new guys pasted to the bottom of your 727 SO list . . thereby pushing you up so you can hold a decent schedule.
captain_drew is offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 09:05 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: DD->DH->RU/XE soon to be EV
Posts: 3,707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD11driver
No out and backs from Anchorage...unless you consider the ANC-EWR, 25 hours in EWR, then EWR-ANC an out and back.
25 hours on EWR!, that's reason enough not to bid it.

Out of curiousity, where do put you in EWR for that long of a stay. I hope it isn't that Double Tree.
dojetdriver is offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 09:30 PM   #7  
...Whatever It Is!
 
MD11Fr8Dog's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,677
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojetdriver
25 hours on EWR!, that's reason enough not to bid it.

Out of curiousity, where do put you in EWR for that long of a stay. I hope it isn't that Double Tree.
Sheraton Suites on Hudson in Weehawken, NJ, just north of Hoboken. Watertaxi stops here on way to piers at 38th St. Free bus from there (and back) to most places in Manhattan. Not a bad layover!
MD11Fr8Dog is offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 09:43 PM   #8  
Line Holder
 
MD11driver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: MD-11 F/O
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_drew
Someone should point out to the nice lady that going right to a window seat is NOT the pilot panacea it might appear to be.

Due to seniority, hubby goes RIGHT to the bottom of the list in that seat and is junior to lots of other people in more junior seats . .who will . . over time bid over to hubby's seat . .thereby holding him down for a LONG time. Can you spell s-t-a-g-n-a-t-i-o-n? Being junior on any list gives you QOL alright, and it is lousey. The only thing worse is being there forever

If you are interested in QOL. . this is not a good way to go. It would be better to see all the new guys pasted to the bottom of your 727 SO list . . thereby pushing you up so you can hold a decent schedule.
Very true. But if you choose to paste yourself to the bottom as payment for not sitting sideways, living in domicile would be the way to go. Then again, if FedEx continues to grow like we are now, he won't be sitting on the bottom for very long anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojetdriver
25 hours on EWR!, that's reason enough not to bid it.

Out of curiousity, where do put you in EWR for that long of a stay. I hope it isn't that Double Tree.

Haha, yep...

I've stayed at the Brunswick Hilton, Prime Suites Secaucus, Sheraton Woodbridge, and the Sheraton Suites on the Hudson. Some have stayed in Manhattan for the longer layovers (48 hours+), but I never have. Average to better-than-average hotels in not-so-horrible areas.
MD11driver is offline  
Old 08-07-2006, 10:50 PM   #9  
Line Holder
 
MD11driver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: MD-11 F/O
Posts: 72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedupbusdriver
As far as getting hired into the right seat as a new hire, you would be based in Anchorage Alaska. The QOL would be reserve from 12am (midnight) to noon. I do not think that there are many (if any) out and backs in ANC, and if there is they would go to the guys who live in Anchorage with seniority. QOL would happen much quicker in Memphis in the back of the 727. Waht is you husbands name?
I forgot to add that a lot of the Reserve A lines and junior VTO's in Anchorage are getting involuntarily converted to Reserve A+ (Reserve A period plus 6 hours).

With our 3-hour reporting status, this equates to a reserve notification between 0430L - 1630L, with trip showtimes between 0730L - 1930L. Kinda limits your daytime carousing options...
MD11driver is offline  
Old 08-08-2006, 03:36 AM   #10  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Huck's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,125
Default

Quote:
Sheraton Suites on Hudson in Weehawken, NJ, just north of Hoboken.
Not for Memphites. It's just a back-up for us. We get the Woodbridge....
Huck is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FedEx in trouble again Browntail Cargo 14 09-22-2006 02:56 AM
FedEx to Acquire Chinese Transportation Co. TonyC Major 0 01-24-2006 05:21 PM
Mutiny on the FedEx truck Sasquatch Cargo 3 11-30-2005 07:42 PM
European pilot base for FEDEX or UPS? tanker Hiring News 4 07-29-2005 09:45 PM
FedEx bets big in pilot offer? Freighter Captain Cargo 3 05-16-2005 06:00 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:03 AM.