Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #1  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Mar 2015
Posts: 69
Default FedEx international deviation question

If you are deviating from an international trip that has a domestically scheduled layover and you have enough bank money after buying the tickets can you use the remainder of that money on a hotel for a night? Even if the hotel is in a different city than the scheduled layover? Ground transportation?? Thanks
MD11FLYER is offline  
Old 05-29-2015, 03:12 PM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Adlerdriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain
Posts: 3,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD11FLYER View Post
If you are deviating from an international trip that has a domestically scheduled layover and you have enough bank money after buying the tickets can you use the remainder of that money on a hotel for a night? Even if the hotel is in a different city than the scheduled layover? Ground transportation?? Thanks
Yes, yes and yes. Standard limits for the FedEx hotel contract rate apply. However, based on my experience with the Fox system, the rate will be based on the city of the scheduled layover, not the city you are deviating through.
Adlerdriver is offline  
Old 05-29-2015, 10:37 PM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: MD11 FO
Posts: 707
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
Yes, yes and yes. Standard limits for the FedEx hotel contract rate apply. However, based on my experience with the Fox system, the rate will be based on the city of the scheduled layover, not the city you are deviating through.
I think it's actually supposed to be based on the city of the operational leg. So for example you have a deadhead MEM-CDG layover then deadhead CDG-DXB layover then operate - you decide to deviate and get a nice downtown hotel in CDG, your rate will be based on the max contract rate for DXB. Not a big deal in this example but places like CAN that have really low rates can hurt you.
Tuck is offline  
Old 05-30-2015, 01:47 PM   #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Adlerdriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain
Posts: 3,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
I think it's actually supposed to be based on the city of the operational leg. So for example you have a deadhead MEM-CDG layover then deadhead CDG-DXB layover then operate - you decide to deviate and get a nice downtown hotel in CDG, your rate will be based on the max contract rate for DXB. Not a big deal in this example but places like CAN that have really low rates can hurt you.
I'm aware of the part of the contract that supports your opinion. However, I can only go on what has happened to me personally.

The fox system appears to populate the pull-down menu for "location" on lodging expenses with every layover city on one's pairing. So, in your scenario, since a CDG layover was scheduled in between the DHs, CDG would be selectable as the location of the "nice downtown" deviation hotel in CDG.

Last year I had a back-end DH trip. Scheduled was NRT-SEA, layover, SEA-ANC. I deviated and went NRT-LAX, layover, LAX-ANC. For location on the LAX deviation hotel I was able to select SEA from the pull-down menu, use the rate for SEA and my expense report was closed out that way.
Adlerdriver is offline  
Old 05-31-2015, 04:37 AM   #5  
Line Holder
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Mar 2015
Posts: 69
Default

Thank you guys !
MD11FLYER is offline  
Old 05-31-2015, 06:33 AM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2013
Position: FedEx A-300 Captain
Posts: 124
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
I think it's actually supposed to be based on the city of the operational leg. So for example you have a deadhead MEM-CDG layover then deadhead CDG-DXB layover then operate - you decide to deviate and get a nice downtown hotel in CDG, your rate will be based on the max contract rate for DXB. Not a big deal in this example but places like CAN that have really low rates can hurt you.
Tuck, the Fox system will allow you to choose which layover city to use. There's a dialog box with an arrow that you select and in your example you wil have a choice between CDG or DBX. Obviously, you want to select the city with the higher hotel accepted fare (this hotel fare info is found somewhere in Vips). As a side note, VIPS is an acronym that stands for Voice Integrated Phone System. Maybe it's time fedex issues a new acronym to reflect this present century we are living in.
CompetentFool is offline  
Old 05-31-2015, 07:34 AM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: MD11 FO
Posts: 707
Default

Great to know -thanks guys!
Tuck is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FedEx, USPS team up for new returns service ⌐ AV8OR WANNABE Cargo 2 09-10-2009 04:10 PM
FedEx Eroding Workers' Living Standards TipTip35 Cargo 21 04-01-2009 04:10 AM
Fedex SFS D/H and Deviation Question Reddog Cargo 1 10-23-2008 09:58 AM
FEDEX Downshifts DLax85 Cargo 4 08-04-2008 08:07 AM
Mutiny on the FedEx truck Sasquatch Cargo 3 11-30-2005 08:42 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:58 PM.