Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Corporate Corporate operators
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jul 2016
Position: Lear 75 PIC
Posts: 19
Default How to ask to upgrade

I currently hold a PIC type but I am hired as an SIC in a Lear 45/75. I finally meet the requirements (insurance) for PIC. Should I try to convince my boss (owner) to make me a co-captain? The guy I fly with told me I should, I just don't know how to approach my boss with the idea. Also, the raise would be nice.
Lear333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:33 PM   #2
Gets Weekends Off
 
flightview's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2016
Posts: 139
Default

You ask for a meeting, go in and be prepared to state your case. Explain your qualifications:

-hours
-responsibility
-ability to work well with others
-demonstrating good leadership
-successes In teamwork, working well with others.
-work history (never late, takes additional flights willingly)

Good luck! You deserve it.


There's nothing wrong with asking.
flightview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:51 AM   #3
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: Left
Posts: 835
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear333 View Post
I currently hold a PIC type but I am hired as an SIC in a Lear 45/75. I finally meet the requirements (insurance) for PIC. Should I try to convince my boss (owner) to make me a co-captain? The guy I fly with told me I should, I just don't know how to approach my boss with the idea. Also, the raise would be nice.
Completely agree with the above post. Very well stated. Your "implied" leverage: there are plenty of airlines hiring....
David Puddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:22 AM   #4
All is fine at .79
 
TiredSoul's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot
Posts: 378
Default

I used to work for somebody who had a couple of degrees in Business.
So I go in asking for a raise.
He's like I was wondering when you'd come in.
I countered with 'well you could have offered'.
He's like 'why should I pay you more for doing the same job?'
Me: ' because I'm really good at what I do'
Him: ' so why should I pay you more for doing the job I hired you to do?'

Be prepared for a conversation like this.
Practice with a buddy as this sort of thing can really throw you off your game.
TiredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jul 2016
Position: Lear 75 PIC
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightview View Post
You ask for a meeting, go in and be prepared to state your case. Explain your qualifications:

-hours
-responsibility
-ability to work well with others
-demonstrating good leadership
-successes In teamwork, working well with others.
-work history (never late, takes additional flights willingly)

Good luck! You deserve it.


There's nothing wrong with asking.
Thanks for the awesome advice. I have a month before I can ask for my performance review and ill ask then.
Lear333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:47 PM   #6
On Reserve
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jul 2016
Position: Lear 75 PIC
Posts: 19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
I used to work for somebody who had a couple of degrees in Business.
So I go in asking for a raise.
He's like I was wondering when you'd come in.
I countered with 'well you could have offered'.
He's like 'why should I pay you more for doing the same job?'
Me: ' because I'm really good at what I do'
Him: ' so why should I pay you more for doing the job I hired you to do?'

Be prepared for a conversation like this.
Practice with a buddy as this sort of thing can really throw you off your game.
Good point! I never thought of that. I think that the question for a promotion will help. He has been considering hiring a third pilot and I would hope to become PIC instead of him hiring another one.
Lear333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:25 PM   #7
Gets Weekends Off
 
flightview's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2016
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear333 View Post
Good point! I never thought of that. I think that the question for a promotion will help. He has been considering hiring a third pilot and I would hope to become PIC instead of him hiring another one.


You can hit on some points here. If you can explain upgrading you to PIC will save their company money because you're already trained.
flightview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:21 PM   #8
Gets Weekends Off
 
pilot0987's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2012
Position: Left Seat
Posts: 447
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightview View Post
You can hit on some points here. If you can explain upgrading you to PIC will save their company money because you're already trained.
Not sure if saving them money would be valid since they would have to hire and train another pic typed pilot
pilot0987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:24 PM   #9
Gets Weekends Off
 
flightview's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2016
Posts: 139
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot0987 View Post
Not sure if saving them money would be valid since they would have to hire and train another pic typed pilot


I read it as the company could either hire another pilot or upgrade him to PIC. \_(ツ)_/
flightview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 05:48 PM   #10
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Oct 2010
Posts: 730
Default

Depending on the type of owner,it's a leverage game...

Like someone said, airlines are hiring.. I wouldn't say it as an altimatum though..

I'd go in and ask, state your case.. If they say no, get some airline interviews. When you get a hired letter from the airline, go back in and ask again, this time with an altimatum.

Having something to fall back on makes all the difference in the world when negotiating job terms.
kingairfun is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Upgrade time update at different Regionals FoxHeader Regional 111 04-09-2015 10:40 PM
2013 Double Upgrade car rental codes satpak77 Corporate 1 01-20-2013 06:09 AM
Emirates Training Dept EZBW Foreign 31 02-18-2012 03:29 AM
Do you have to upgrade when it is your time? Duksrule Regional 8 06-30-2011 04:40 PM
Captain Upgrade Minimums ryane946 Regional 33 04-06-2007 05:05 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:43 AM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.3, Copyright ©2000-2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000 - 2017 Internet Brands, Inc.