Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > > >
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 02:33 PM   #41
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2015
Posts: 1,894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking busdvr View Post
That may be true, but please donít ask me to give it up for a 1.5% raise DALPA....
I won't, I'm not a union negotiator.
Hank Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:25 PM   #42
Gets Weekends Off
 
Viking busdvr's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2015
Posts: 396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kingsley View Post
I won't, I'm not a union negotiator.
My statement was directed at DALPA- not you.
Viking busdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:13 AM   #43
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2011
Posts: 316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorn View Post
You find value and growth BUY it.
Easier said than done.
mispoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:13 AM   #44
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorn View Post
You find value and growth BUY it.
Hmmm...that should be a slogan for a small conglomerate in Berkyville....errrr....OMA.

Ohhhh....riggghhht. 😊
FL370esq is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:17 AM   #45
Gets Weekends Off
 
Dash8Pilot's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: CRJ Left
Posts: 276
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorn View Post
I agree with above comments but I would recommend not falling into the trap that the "set it and forget it" methedology is sound especially for those who are closer to needing their 401K funds. I think anyone who even occasionally pays attention to the market would have agreed this last few months pretty much everyone was saying this market has overreached. Pigs get slaughtered. don't get greedy. If you have made a nice return and see that your closer than farther to a pullback be smart,move your assets into cash or at least some of it. Drops like we just witnessed are buying opportunities see them as such. The number one rule is protect your assets. Im not suggesting to become a "trader" just that its important to participate in the management of your retirement.
Set it and forget it has historically been a better approach for most investors than trying to participate in the management of your retirement.

Several years ago Fidelity performed a survey to see which of their customers accounts performed best and what they had in common. The two best performing groups were dead people and those that forgot they owned an account at Fidelity.
Dash8Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:30 AM   #46
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2005
Posts: 559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kingsley View Post
This would have been a bad week to put it in the market.
Actually, if your saving for retirement way down the road, this was a great week to put money in the market. Depends on your time perspective.
marcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:33 AM   #47
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2005
Posts: 559
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorn View Post
I agree with above comments but I would recommend not falling into the trap that the "set it and forget it" methedology is sound especially for those who are closer to needing their 401K funds. I think anyone who even occasionally pays attention to the market would have agreed this last few months pretty much everyone was saying this market has overreached. Pigs get slaughtered. don't get greedy. If you have made a nice return and see that your closer than farther to a pullback be smart,move your assets into cash or at least some of it. Drops like we just witnessed are buying opportunities see them as such. The number one rule is protect your assets. Im not suggesting to become a "trader" just that its important to participate in the management of your retirement.
401K planning is like flying an approach. Way out it takes little to no inputs. As you approach the runway(retirement) you start making more corrections. As you cross the threshold hopefully you don't PIO yourself into a ditch!
marcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:55 AM   #48
BUTTON PUSH IGNORED
 
Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: I got into this business so I wouldn't have to work.
Posts: 646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcal View Post
401K planning is like flying an approach. Way out it takes little to no inputs. As you approach the runway(retirement) you start making more corrections. As you cross the threshold hopefully you don't PIO yourself into a ditch!
Call me weird, but I don't fly approaches like that. If I make the correct corrections early, I don't need to thrash as I get closer to the runway. Now if you're using this as an analogy, you must understand that it's pretty much impossible to make financial "corrections" early, given the moving of the financial "ILS" and "LOC" antennae as time goes on. I'm not a Saudi prince going through military pilot training...I'd rather not think of my investing like my approach work.
Vincent Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #49
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcal View Post
Actually, if your saving for retirement way down the road, this was a great week to put money in the market. Depends on your time perspective.
Are you sure this week will still be considered great compared to all the rest of the weeks in the year ahead? I once bought a house at the "bottom" of a dip in the spring of 2007. Any week since then would have been much greater.

I agree with you... it does depend on your time perspective.
TED74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #50
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: May 2015
Posts: 1,894
Default

The union just put out an email with the history of profit sharing. Very nice.
Hank Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Atlas Air Hiring 1st Supersonic Hiring News 17326 07-16-2018 05:23 AM
All things - Profit Sharing Rabid Seagull Delta 21 07-09-2015 10:26 AM
UAL Council 11 Chairman on Delta TA Pilotfo64 Delta 21 07-08-2015 02:46 PM
Profit Sharing Grievance jsled United 206 02-18-2015 12:26 AM
Good perspective from former APA President A321 American 89 01-28-2015 06:55 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:52 AM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.3, Copyright ©2000-2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000 - 2017 Internet Brands, Inc.