Notices

MBCBP comparison tool

Old 01-26-2020, 01:02 PM
  #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
PilotWombat's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2019
Position: Currently freeloading
Posts: 528
Default MBCBP comparison tool

Obviously, there has been a lot of hullabaloo going on around here with regards to the MBCBP and just what exactly it means for your retirement. Specifically, which was better...saving on taxes now and getting a lower return, or taking the hit on taxes and getting a potentially better return over the long run. Well, I wanted to see what the actual numbers were, so I put together a spreadsheet to compare them.

I am making no guarantees on the accuracy of the calculations, and I am certainly not going to say this will apply to your own specific situation. However, I think I did the calculations right, and I think it provides a good primer on what the MBCBP offers versus just taking the money and investing it on your own.

I will make updates to the calculations and features as the days and weeks go on, so keep checking back for the most current version. If you find something glaringly wrong, please PM me and I'll look into it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/34pll180is...v1.0.xlsx?dl=0
Instructions:
- Click the link and click "No thanks, continue to view"
- This is a read only copy, so to make your own calculations, download the file on the top right via "Direct download". You may have to click "No thanks, continue to download" again.
- Once saved, open and click "Enable Editing".
- Change the yellow boxed items as desired to fit your own situation and assumptions.
PilotWombat is offline  
Old 01-26-2020, 02:52 PM
  #2  
Rollín Thunder
 
Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: Pilot
Posts: 3,603
Default

Originally Posted by PilotWombat View Post
Obviously, there has been a lot of hullabaloo going on around here with regards to the MBCBP and just what exactly it means for your retirement. Specifically, which was better...saving on taxes now and getting a lower return, or taking the hit on taxes and getting a potentially better return over the long run. Well, I wanted to see what the actual numbers were, so I put together a spreadsheet to compare them.

I am making no guarantees on the accuracy of the calculations, and I am certainly not going to say this will apply to your own specific situation. However, I think I did the calculations right, and I think it provides a good primer on what the MBCBP offers versus just taking the money and investing it on your own.

I will make updates to the calculations and features as the days and weeks go on, so keep checking back for the most current version. If you find something glaringly wrong, please PM me and I'll look into it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/34pll180is...v1.0.xlsx?dl=0
Instructions:
- Click the link and click "No thanks, continue to view"
- This is a read only copy, so to make your own calculations, download the file on the top right via "Direct download". You may have to click "No thanks, continue to download" again.
- Once saved, open and click "Enable Editing".
- Change the yellow boxed items as desired to fit your own situation and assumptions.
You sir are brilliant.
tennisguru is offline  
Old 01-26-2020, 04:27 PM
  #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jul 2018
Posts: 260
Default

I have a few questions cause I am trying to understand what this MBCBP is and just 401(k) at Delta.

1) I understand as of now there is a 16% DC. In addition to the DC, is there a company match on a % I put in as well? I thought I saw this on APC or something where they also match 100% of 6%.

2) I will have close to a 40 year career at Delta and when I do this tool it shows I would be getting about $40,000 more a year without the MBCBP. Is there some spark notes on this MBCBP or a good link/article that explains exactly what this is so I can get a better understanding.

Thanks!
EDVPLT is offline  
Old 01-26-2020, 04:31 PM
  #4  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,558
Default

Originally Posted by EDVPLT View Post
I have a few questions cause I am trying to understand what this MBCBP is and just 401(k) at Delta.

1) I understand as of now there is a 16% DC. In addition to the DC, is there a company match on a % I put in as well? I thought I saw this on APC or something where they also match 100% of 6%.

2) I will have close to a 40 year career at Delta and when I do this tool it shows I would be getting about $40,000 more a year without the MBCBP. Is there some spark notes on this MBCBP or a good link/article that explains exactly what this is so I can get a better understanding.

Thanks!
16% DC only, there is no match.

Youíre probably not wrong on your look at the MBCBP. Itís more of a short time insurance, long term hindrance type of program. <-My opinion only, of course.
Iceberg is offline  
Old 01-26-2020, 04:33 PM
  #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2017
Posts: 934
Default

The fact that the OP has the withdrawal rate of MMIC at 4% and the annuity from the ďother planĒ at 6% makes me think there is definitely a hidden agenda on the OPís part. At least it appears that way. Since the other plan is not inheritable then a fair comparison would be to give a reasonable return on the money say 8% for MMIC and draw it down to zero at some age say 85. I think that comparison would show the MMIC wildly better for almost everybody.
interceptorpilo is offline  
Old 01-26-2020, 05:09 PM
  #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Denny Crane's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: Kickin’ Back
Posts: 6,971
Default

Originally Posted by interceptorpilo View Post
The fact that the OP has the withdrawal rate of MMIC at 4% and the annuity from the ďother planĒ at 6% makes me think there is definitely a hidden agenda on the OPís part. At least it appears that way. Since the other plan is not inheritable then a fair comparison would be to give a reasonable return on the money say 8% for MMIC and draw it down to zero at some age say 85. I think that comparison would show the MMIC wildly better for almost everybody.
I assume you mean the MBCBP is the "other plan?" If so, you are wrong, it is inheritable. Now if an annuity is purchased with it all bets are off but the plan itself is inheritable.

Denny
Denny Crane is offline  
Old 01-26-2020, 05:33 PM
  #7  
seeing the large hubs...
 
iaflyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: 73N A
Posts: 3,711
Default

Originally Posted by interceptorpilo View Post
The fact that the OP has the withdrawal rate of MMIC at 4% and the annuity from the “other plan” at 6% makes me think there is definitely a hidden agenda on the OP’s part. At least it appears that way. Since the other plan is not inheritable then a fair comparison would be to give a reasonable return on the money say 8% for MMIC and draw it down to zero at some age say 85. I think that comparison would show the MMIC wildly better for almost everybody.
What's an "MMIC"?

Also, you know that everyone can change the numbers in seconds and it recalculates... It's not like we need to get a new piece of paper out and figure it all out again.
iaflyer is offline  
Old 01-26-2020, 05:43 PM
  #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Apr 2016
Position: Looking left
Posts: 3,278
Default

Originally Posted by iaflyer View Post
What's an "MMIC"?

Also, you know that everyone can change the numbers in seconds and it recalculates... It's not like we need to get a new piece of paper out and figure it all out again.
MMIC = My Money Iím in Charge
DWC CAP10 USAF is offline  
Old 01-26-2020, 05:43 PM
  #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2017
Posts: 934
Default

Originally Posted by Denny Crane View Post
I assume you mean the MBCBP is the "other plan?" If so, you are wrong, it is inheritable. Now if an annuity is purchased with it all bets are off but the plan itself is inheritable.

Denny
ok Denny

thank you for that information. Yes I mean the MBCBP. That is a lot of letters! Where is it written down it is inheritable? Is it to spouse only? Young children? Even so then the horizon of the MY MONEY should be until the actuarial age of your spouse. There are so many assumptions made for the my money comparison that are negative that it is clear where the OPís thought process is.
interceptorpilo is offline  
Old 01-26-2020, 06:06 PM
  #10  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
PilotWombat's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2019
Position: Currently freeloading
Posts: 528
Default

Originally Posted by interceptorpilo View Post
The fact that the OP has the withdrawal rate of MMIC at 4% and the annuity from the ďother planĒ at 6% makes me think there is definitely a hidden agenda on the OPís part. At least it appears that way. Since the other plan is not inheritable then a fair comparison would be to give a reasonable return on the money say 8% for MMIC and draw it down to zero at some age say 85. I think that comparison would show the MMIC wildly better for almost everybody.
No black helicopters here. I explained my defaults in another post, which I'll quote here:

Originally Posted by PilotWombat View Post
I did that because most people generally consider the default for retirement investments to be the 4% withdrawal rule. And the union has stated that the default (but not the only option) for the MBCBP upon retirement is to buy an annuity with it. As best I can find, immediate payment fixed lifetime annuities generally pay about 5-7% of the purchase price per year, hence 6%. If you have better knowledge, by all means, show me some data that allows us all to make a better estimate.
My main goal is give people accurate information. If I have any agenda, it's to counter the very vocal people on this forum that are saying "MMIC" is the only and best way, and the MBCBP is worthless. It is not worthless and provides a lot of value to a lot of people. Maybe taking that money cash will work better for you, though. As with most investments, it is mostly dependent on your time horizon.
PilotWombat is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
flyingpuma1
Spirit
29
02-14-2018 04:16 AM
Qotsaautopilot
Major
8
10-25-2017 06:36 AM
docf15
Major
4
08-08-2017 06:08 AM
TED74
Delta
37
05-12-2017 04:33 PM
18Wheeler
Cargo
3
07-03-2006 06:49 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices