Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Flight Schools and Training
737NG Type Course -Dec 2017 anyone? >

737NG Type Course -Dec 2017 anyone?


Notices
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

737NG Type Course -Dec 2017 anyone?

Old 11-13-2017, 07:59 PM
  #1  
Most Days Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Position: Gear Puller
Posts: 19
Default 737NG Type Course -Dec 2017 anyone?

I am looking for another person to complete a 737NG Type course next month in MIA. FTI is offering a special to complete before the end of the year. If interested, please pm me. thanks!

*** WINTER SPECIALS ***
737NG Initial Accelerated Type Rating
In MIAMI – $9,410/ per pilot
December 11th – 18th (2 pilots/paired)
Complete your Type Rating before the end of the year!
RVator6 is offline  
Old 11-13-2017, 10:29 PM
  #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
awax's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,808
Default

It’s not for me, but if you don’t mind me asking, what’s the benefit to buying your own rating?

Are there any airlines that require a type like SWA used to? I always assumed that once a guy gets hired they’d do the initial course and cap it off with a type ride if needed.
awax is offline  
Old 11-14-2017, 07:01 AM
  #3  
Permanent Reserve
 
navigatro's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,677
Default

Also that price seems high (not such a great deal)
navigatro is offline  
Old 11-14-2017, 09:19 AM
  #4  
Most Days Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Position: Gear Puller
Posts: 19
Default

Originally Posted by awax
It’s not for me, but if you don’t mind me asking, what’s the benefit to buying your own rating?

Are there any airlines that require a type like SWA used to? I always assumed that once a guy gets hired they’d do the initial course and cap it off with a type ride if needed.
Question #1: the benefit is a) you spend $ you may/may not have. b) possibly move up the line to get an earlier interview date with SWA.

Question #2: not that I’m aware of. Even though SWA doesn’t require it anymore. They ask the question if you have it. What that means to me is it would be beneficial to still get the type.
RVator6 is offline  
Old 11-14-2017, 09:22 AM
  #5  
Most Days Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Position: Gear Puller
Posts: 19
Default

Originally Posted by navigatro
Also that price seems high (not such a great deal)
If you have found cheaper, let me know. Their normal rate is $10.5k. The other school I have found (CPT) is over $1500 more than FTI’s discount price. I just wished I got my type from Alyson back when it was $5K, over 15 yrs ago.
RVator6 is offline  
Old 11-14-2017, 09:38 AM
  #6  
Permanent Reserve
 
navigatro's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,677
Default

Originally Posted by RVator6
If you have found cheaper, let me know. Their normal rate is $10.5k. The other school I have found (CPT) is over $1500 more than FTI’s discount price. I just wished I got my type from Alyson back when it was $5K, over 15 yrs ago.
I guess I'm old, because I remember them being $5-7K, but that was years ago.

If you are a fixed-wing MIL pilot, I would not waste my time or GI bill benefits on a 737 type.
navigatro is offline  
Old 11-14-2017, 09:43 AM
  #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
awax's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,808
Default

Originally Posted by RVator6
Question #1: the benefit is a) you spend $ you may/may not have.
Not to argue the point, but that doesn't sound like a benefit!

If it's not required, how do you measure the value of a type ride without IOE or any experience behind the type. Is that really attractive to a prospective employer, especially in this environment? Of course you be you, but it seems like there are more cost effective ways to move an application up the pile.

Good luck!
awax is offline  
Old 11-14-2017, 10:14 AM
  #8  
Most Days Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Nov 2017
Position: Gear Puller
Posts: 19
Default

Originally Posted by awax
Not to argue the point, but that doesn't sound like a benefit!


Yes, that was a joke. I’d rather save my $!!!
RVator6 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Da40Pilot
Regional
33
01-06-2015 03:07 PM
FLYFLYBOY
Foreign
10
08-20-2014 10:10 AM
fishbert
Flight Schools and Training
1
07-04-2010 07:37 AM
SkyHigh
GoJet
179
02-09-2009 07:14 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices