Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums - Find your next job as a Pilot > >
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics
 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 161
Default Intentional Payroll Misclassification CFI's

I think it's become painfully obvious as a part of the destruction of the middle-class in the USA that almost every flight school these days is in direct violation of IRS law when issuing 1099's to CFI employees that are supposed to be W-2.

Every CFI is living by the schedule put together by the school, using the schools equipment provided by the company and being told how to dress. That's an EMPLOYEE, not a contractor.

Well, the IRS is now cracking down on blood-sucking flight schools that make lives, already hard, even harder on CFI's.

If you're a flight school owner, it's time to play it by the book and stop screwing over your employees. You aught to be ashamed of yourselves! The pendilum is starting to swing back to the favor or labor!

IRS and DOL Worker Misclassification Enforcement Steps Up
SuperConductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #2  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 161
Default

To anonymously report intentional payroll misclassification at the flight school you work at, follow this link.

Government Contacts No Misclassification!
SuperConductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:57 AM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
 
USMCFLYR's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'
Posts: 11,565
Default

So when I worked for a company who put together a flight schedule, furnished the planes that I flew, provided travel and billeting and per diem while on the job, and expected me to wear certain clothes while on the job - I should have also been an EMPLOYEE and not a contractor?

USMCFLYR
USMCFLYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:03 PM   #4  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
So when I worked for a company who put together a flight schedule, furnished the planes that I flew, provided travel and billeting and per diem while on the job, and expected me to wear certain clothes while on the job - I should have also been an EMPLOYEE and not a contractor?

USMCFLYR
What's your question? Well, if you're referring to many of the Part 135, light charter ops, that are doing the same thing. Yes, you are an employee. I know light charter ops love to mis-classify their pilots as contractors as well. I should really make the same post in the Part 135 forums.

Here's more IRS info. More specifically, go to page 7.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15a.pdf

You are an employee when told:

When and where to do the work.
What tools or equipment to use.
What workers to hire or to assist with the work.
Where to purchase supplies and services.
What work must be performed by a specified individual.
What order or sequence to follow.

Last edited by SuperConductor; 07-21-2012 at 12:30 PM.
SuperConductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:32 AM   #5  
Flying Farmer
 
Ewfflyer's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's
Posts: 3,159
Default

Super, you got someone you want to burn that's fine, but anyone with a decent working relationship with who they work for might want to take the high road and bring this issue directly to their employer as a concern, not as a threat.
Ewfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
USMCFLYR's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'
Posts: 11,565
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperConductor View Post
What's your question? Well, if you're referring to many of the Part 135, light charter ops, that are doing the same thing. Yes, you are an employee. I know light charter ops love to mis-classify their pilots as contractors as well. I should really make the same post in the Part 135 forums.

Here's more IRS info. More specifically, go to page 7.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15a.pdf

You are an employee when told:

When and where to do the work.
What tools or equipment to use.
What workers to hire or to assist with the work.
Where to purchase supplies and services.
What work must be performed by a specified individual.
What order or sequence to follow.
My question was simply putting out there some of the details of one particular job I had as a contractor and was wondering if you were saying that I met the conditions for being an employee that you listed.

Even using your new list raises more question:
When and where to do the work.
- Of course. They write my schedule based on a mission required.
What tools or equipment to use.
- If by which plane(s) to fly they have chosen which tools - yes.
What workers to hire or to assist with the work.
- Do maintenance personnel "assist" with the work - yes.
Where to purchase supplies and services.
- Not sure if this one was pertinent to my particular job.
What work must be performed by a specified individual.
- I was assigned to fly a particular flight and had duties associated with such a position.
What order or sequence to follow.
- The client would ask for certain things in a certain order - so yes there was a sequence or order.

This particular job I had operated with a small contingent of core employees supplemented with a group of 7 or 14 day contracted employees.

It would seem that there would not be such a thing as a contracted pilot job using the definitions above. Is this your contention.

USMCFLYR
USMCFLYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #7  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post

It would seem that there would not be such a thing as a contracted pilot job using the definitions above. Is this your contention.

USMCFLYR
Yeah. Unless you own your own plane, dress however you like, work whenever your client(s) tell you they need you, use whomever you want to for maint. etc., you certainly were not a "contractor". You were a W-2 employee.

This is my contention.
SuperConductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:16 AM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2009
Posts: 379
Default

I believe they are try to avoid paying workmen's compensation premiums. Flying is one of the riskiest professions and perhaps carry a high premium.
BizPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:25 AM   #9  
Gets Weekends Off
 
JamesNoBrakes's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player
Posts: 3,312
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
Super, you got someone you want to burn that's fine, but anyone with a decent working relationship with who they work for might want to take the high road and bring this issue directly to their employer as a concern, not as a threat.
That's nice, but the whole reason we have the internetz is to spread the word, so other people will know. Too many businesses get away with this kind of thing, and the employees are kept in a vacuum.
JamesNoBrakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #10  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Jun 2012
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizPilot View Post
I believe they are try to avoid paying workmen's compensation premiums. Flying is one of the riskiest professions and perhaps carry a high premium.
Not only avoiding paying Worker's Comp, but Unemployment Taxes. What's more, they are essentially creating an employee/employer relationship where there is none, zero, negative ramification involved in firing you on the spot for the most ridiculous of whims. Normally their unemployment payments would go up drastically if most employers fired correctly classified employees as often as they do misclassified "contractors". It's a complete rape of the middle-class and they friggen know it. Thus, the government is finally doing something about it. Report away people. I think it's a part of your responsibility as an abused pilot. I've already been making phone calls to the offices in the links on the page provided.
SuperConductor is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Payroll Errors Coach67 United 4 03-23-2012 08:04 PM
Atlanta-area CFIs needed gtcfi Flight Schools and Training 0 07-25-2011 09:02 AM
Experienced Atlanta-area CFIs needed gtcfi Part 91 and Low Time 0 05-16-2011 07:04 AM
Question to the fast track pilot school CFIs. AirWillie Flight Schools and Training 10 02-05-2006 08:37 AM
CFI's Help Needed! HSLD Flight Schools and Training 3 01-26-2006 09:47 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:29 PM.


vBulletin® v3.9.3.5, Copyright ©2000-2019, MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright 2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1