Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Flight Schools and Training
Driving record, please help, freaking out here. >

Driving record, please help, freaking out here.


Notices
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

Driving record, please help, freaking out here.

Old 11-12-2006, 01:21 PM
  #1  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Nov 2006
Posts: 6
Default Driving record, please help, freaking out here.

Hello all! My name is Travis, and I've been a AP mechanic for about 8 years and looking into becoming a pilot. I am currently 26 years old. I've been researching heavily for about 2 weeks (including this forum) and my main concern right now is my drivers license. My history is as follows-

Speeding ticket when I was 16-dismissed due to faulty speedo
Speeding ticket when I was ~20 (out of state)-took defensive driving
Wreckless driving when I was ~19 (out of state)-got lawyer, reduced
Speeding ticket when I was 22 (in state)-got lawyer, reduced
Speeding ticket when I was 25 (out of state)-just paid it
Accident when I was 25..police report says speeding was a factor, currently in court for this one due to injuries.
Speeding ticket when I was 26 (out of state)-sent in not guilty, awaiting response.
Got a ticket for running a red light (close call) the other day (in state), plan on sending in not guilty, hoping to get it reduced to non moving.

I got a ticket for public exposure (p'ed outside when I was drunk), but was given a ACOD (goes away in 6 months if you don't do it again).

If I said all of this stuff in a interview, would my job chances suffer? I'm not about to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on training if this is going to kill my chances. Honestly, if the things that got reduced are not 'on my record', I don't plan on disclosing them.

Travis
TurboTravis is offline  
Old 11-12-2006, 01:25 PM
  #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Laxrox43's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: A320/321 FO
Posts: 1,114
Default PSAChiefPilot need help on this one...

All I can say...is be honest...slow down...and don't do it again!

So long as you don't lie on your background check (some places make you get a 3 year background check), you should be ok. But then again, I'm not a Chief Pilot...

Hopefully people will chime in and their responses will be in your favor.

Good luck Chief!
Lax
Laxrox43 is offline  
Old 11-12-2006, 01:29 PM
  #3  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Nov 2006
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by Laxrox43
All I can say...is be honest...slow down...and don't do it again!

So long as you don't lie on your background check (some places make you get a 3 year background check), you should be ok. But then again, I'm not a Chief Pilot...

Hopefully people will chime in and their responses will be in your favor.

Good luck Chief!
Lax
Is there any way to check your record to the same standards as a airline would? A good friend of mine is a high-profile lawyer, I guess I need to ask him.

At this point, the reduced wreckless driving is the thing I am most worried about.
TurboTravis is offline  
Old 11-12-2006, 03:03 PM
  #4  
Che Guevara
 
ToiletDuck's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,408
Default

what's with getting a lawyer. Just do the deal where you pay an extra $25 and it doesn't go on your record. BTW you have quit the list.
ToiletDuck is offline  
Old 11-12-2006, 03:16 PM
  #5  
Gets Weekends Off
 
favila008's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2006
Posts: 297
Default

Originally Posted by TurboTravis
Hello all! My name is Travis, and I've been a AP mechanic for about 8 years and looking into becoming a pilot. I am currently 26 years old. I've been researching heavily for about 2 weeks (including this forum) and my main concern right now is my drivers license. My history is as follows-

Speeding ticket when I was 16-dismissed due to faulty speedo
Speeding ticket when I was ~20 (out of state)-took defensive driving
Wreckless driving when I was ~19 (out of state)-got lawyer, reduced
Speeding ticket when I was 22 (in state)-got lawyer, reduced
Speeding ticket when I was 25 (out of state)-just paid it
Accident when I was 25..police report says speeding was a factor, currently in court for this one due to injuries.
Speeding ticket when I was 26 (out of state)-sent in not guilty, awaiting response.
Got a ticket for running a red light (close call) the other day (in state), plan on sending in not guilty, hoping to get it reduced to non moving.

I got a ticket for public exposure (p'ed outside when I was drunk), but was given a ACOD (goes away in 6 months if you don't do it again).

If I said all of this stuff in a interview, would my job chances suffer? I'm not about to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on training if this is going to kill my chances. Honestly, if the things that got reduced are not 'on my record', I don't plan on disclosing them.

Travis
Just answer yourself this question:

Would you feel safe flying with someone who had your driving record?
favila008 is offline  
Old 11-12-2006, 03:41 PM
  #6  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Nov 2006
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by favila008
Just answer yourself this question:

Would you feel safe flying with someone who had your driving record?
Yes. But for right now, I want to find out what is on my record, and what is not. The reduced wreckless driving from 7 years ago has me concerned. I was young and stupid, learned since then.
TurboTravis is offline  
Old 11-12-2006, 04:07 PM
  #7  
Line Holder
 
learav8r's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: B737
Posts: 80
Default

you need to get a NDR report and then a state report. The more time you have before you interview the better...all is not lost. Don't get another ticket. Time without a ticket will help you. goodluck and don't get another ticket. If they ask during an interview be honest and the more time you have between your last ticket and the interview the better off you will be. We all mess up when we are young. But like I said the more time you have of being a model citizen the better your chances.
learav8r is offline  
Old 11-12-2006, 04:34 PM
  #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
STILL GROUNDED's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Left Seat
Posts: 1,105
Default

Originally Posted by favila008
Just answer yourself this question:

Would you feel safe flying with someone who had your driving record?
I am not sure I feel safe knowing I may be sharing the road with this guy none the less a cockpit.

Lets start with what you have not been cited for, go from there.

I know airlines just love guys that expose themselves. It just wreaks of professionalism.

Good Luck Dude.
STILL GROUNDED is offline  
Old 11-12-2006, 04:47 PM
  #9  
New Hire
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Nov 2006
Posts: 6
Default

Originally Posted by STILL GROUNDED
I am not sure I feel safe knowing I may be sharing the road with this guy none the less a cockpit.

Lets start with what you have not been cited for, go from there.

I know airlines just love guys that expose themselves. It just wreaks of professionalism.

Good Luck Dude.
I got drunk, and instead of DRIVING home (would never do that), I decided to WALK home. Had to pee, p'ed on the side of the road, cop drove by and nabbed me. Made a mistake. My town has 5000 people, it was 3am, roads were empty.
TurboTravis is offline  
Old 11-12-2006, 04:54 PM
  #10  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 39,754
Default

Originally Posted by TurboTravis
Hello all! My name is Travis, and I've been a AP mechanic for about 8 years and looking into becoming a pilot. I am currently 26 years old. I've been researching heavily for about 2 weeks (including this forum) and my main concern right now is my drivers license. My history is as follows-

Speeding ticket when I was 16-dismissed due to faulty speedo
Speeding ticket when I was ~20 (out of state)-took defensive driving
Wreckless driving when I was ~19 (out of state)-got lawyer, reduced
Speeding ticket when I was 22 (in state)-got lawyer, reduced
Speeding ticket when I was 25 (out of state)-just paid it
Accident when I was 25..police report says speeding was a factor, currently in court for this one due to injuries.
Speeding ticket when I was 26 (out of state)-sent in not guilty, awaiting response.
Got a ticket for running a red light (close call) the other day (in state), plan on sending in not guilty, hoping to get it reduced to non moving.

I got a ticket for public exposure (p'ed outside when I was drunk), but was given a ACOD (goes away in 6 months if you don't do it again).

If I said all of this stuff in a interview, would my job chances suffer? I'm not about to spend thousands and thousands of dollars on training if this is going to kill my chances. Honestly, if the things that got reduced are not 'on my record', I don't plan on disclosing them.

Travis

The good news:
-No DUI, assault, etc (keep it that way).
-You are still somewhat young.
-The pee-ing in public thing is not uncommon for pilots...I know two personally with that on their record (not me, I never got caught).
-It will take you probably about 2 years to go from zero to regional applicant...that gives you an opportunity to break your current trend and establish a new track record.
-The more time passes, the better off you are.


The bad news:
-The data that the federales and/or some private data bases have on your criminal/driving record may be unpredictable...even if it got purged locally, it may show up in another database somewhere. For this reason you need to be 100% honest about everything. Also be prepared to explain how you have grown up a bit since all that stuff happened.
-Your record does show some disregard for rules when operating vehicles...see how that could raise flags? When you interview be prepared to explain how you had a sudden realization that your behavior pattern has foolish and that you resolved to change. You will need to be pretty clear about this.


I would think in the long term you would be fine, but be aware that you might lose an opportunity or two in the beginning of your career (or maybe not). If that happens, don't let it get you down, someone else will hire you.
rickair7777 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Mitchell T
Regional
48
07-15-2007 06:19 AM
ElBow513
Flight Schools and Training
8
10-25-2006 08:12 PM
UNDGUY
Flight Schools and Training
12
06-17-2006 11:21 PM
AlohaFlyer
Hiring News
7
09-02-2005 06:18 PM
Gordon C
Major
0
06-18-2005 09:05 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices