Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Tool of the day

Old 06-28-2019, 08:53 AM
  #12311  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2015
Posts: 443
Default

I nominate this guy as TOTD (if not TOTY).
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Q8FniOFs...ature=youtu.be
FlytheSky is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 09:29 AM
  #12312  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 39,443
Default

Originally Posted by FlytheSky View Post
I nominate this guy as TOTD (if not TOTY).
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Q8FniOFs...ature=youtu.be
I don't see the tool part?

He incurred a lot of potential liability, but he seemed to know what he was doing.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 09:31 AM
  #12313  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Retired NJA & AA
Posts: 1,936
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
I don't see the tool part?

He incurred a lot of potential liability, but he seemed to know what he was doing.
Same here, seemed like he was just trying to help.
AirBear is offline  
Old 06-28-2019, 08:41 PM
  #12314  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Feb 2015
Posts: 443
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
I don't see the tool part?

He incurred a lot of potential liability, but he seemed to know what he was doing.
He entered formation flight with another airplane without getting prior approval from the other PIC, (violating 91.111 B) and also overmanaged the whole situation. I've never had anyone I've flown with try to micromanage that much (unless I'm maybe on IOE). Then telling the Arrow pilot to retract the flaps in the flare? Definitely doesn't seem like something I'd ever do in a flare and definitely not on the rollout either in a GA retract plane.

When he posted this video he was expecting a positive response where people would thank him for what he did. Most people said it was a publicity stunt and reckless. So he then went to the local news and got it published there.

It's a big safety issue because there's quite a high potential for a midair (and if you don't think it's possible, check out this accident that killed a US Senator back in 1991). https://www.nytimes.com/1991/04/05/u...ladelphia.html
FlytheSky is offline  
Old 06-29-2019, 12:13 AM
  #12315  
All is fine at .79
 
TiredSoul's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot
Posts: 4,137
Default

Originally Posted by FlytheSky View Post
I nominate this guy as TOTD (if not TOTY).
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Q8FniOFs...ature=youtu.be
I’m thinking you’re the TOTD Sky...
TiredSoul is offline  
Old 06-29-2019, 07:46 AM
  #12316  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 39,443
Default

Originally Posted by FlytheSky View Post
He entered formation flight with another airplane without getting prior approval from the other PIC, (violating 91.111 B) and also overmanaged the whole situation. I've never had anyone I've flown with try to micromanage that much (unless I'm maybe on IOE). Then telling the Arrow pilot to retract the flaps in the flare? Definitely doesn't seem like something I'd ever do in a flare and definitely not on the rollout either in a GA retract plane.

When he posted this video he was expecting a positive response where people would thank him for what he did. Most people said it was a publicity stunt and reckless. So he then went to the local news and got it published there.

It's a big safety issue because there's quite a high potential for a midair (and if you don't think it's possible, check out this accident that killed a US Senator back in 1991). https://www.nytimes.com/1991/04/05/u...ladelphia.html

Meh. Emergency situation, reasonable to deviate and the regs allow for that.

Like I said, a lot of potential liability if things went south but his guidance seemed to be good. I assume of course he was experienced in the type.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 06-29-2019, 10:55 AM
  #12317  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jun 2016
Posts: 430
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Meh. Emergency situation, reasonable to deviate and the regs allow for that.

Like I said, a lot of potential liability if things went south but his guidance seemed to be good. I assume of course he was experienced in the type.
I found his guidance annoying. Was it solicited? The video doesn’t tell the whole story but it seems he had at least partial power. And flaps up in the flare? New one to me and why?

I’d like to hear the whole story. Based on the vid I’m in the TOTD camp.
CoefficientX is offline  
Old 06-29-2019, 11:06 AM
  #12318  
:-)
 
Joined APC: Feb 2007
Posts: 7,339
Default

Sounds like he was stuck at a certain power setting. I probably would have cut the engine, instead of change configuration in the flare to reduce the float, but I don't know what that guy's experience level is.
Mesabah is online now  
Old 06-29-2019, 12:40 PM
  #12319  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: B767
Posts: 1,901
Default

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Meh. Emergency situation, reasonable to deviate and the regs allow for that.

Like I said, a lot of potential liability if things went south but his guidance seemed to be good. I assume of course he was experienced in the type.
The last thing I would want is some social media idiot “forming up on me” while I’m dealing with an emergency. That guy is a complete jackass, and I would’ve been irate if I was that arrow pilot.
wrxpilot is offline  
Old 06-29-2019, 03:55 PM
  #12320  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 39,443
Default

Originally Posted by wrxpilot View Post
The last thing I would want is some social media idiot “forming up on me” while I’m dealing with an emergency.
I wouldn't either and I would have told him so but I'm a somewhat experienced pilot with all the FW ratings, many thousands of hours, and experience in numerous piston types. A PPL on the other hand might well have needed all the help he could get...

Yeah the guy came off as perhaps toolish in nature but in the context I'll give him a pass.

Retracting the flaps at T/D would help with too much energy... effective tire grip and braking action would stop you a lot faster than flap drag.
rickair7777 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Elvis90
Military
2
11-11-2010 09:25 AM
meloveboeing
Regional
5
10-02-2010 07:47 AM
kc135driver
United
119
08-24-2010 08:30 AM
exerauflyboy5
Flight Schools and Training
15
02-18-2009 08:29 PM
Busdriver
JetBlue
70
01-16-2006 10:32 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Your Privacy Choices