Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-27-2020, 06:36 AM   #11  
Line Holder
 
flybub's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2014
Position: CFI/CFII
Posts: 52
Default

I'm far from the majors, but our flight school closed yesterday. We were told is directly related to the virus. We got notice to clean out our mailbox and leave key at the front desk, the company is ceasing operations effective immediately. 150 instructors on the street today looking for a job. We primarily trained Chinese students and with China air ops slowing to a crawl they are unable to pay the flight schools for the training. So, we essentially went bankrupt training all these kids and not being paid by their parent airline.

Bad management by my company? Probably has something to do with it. We just bought 20 airplanes a month ago and planned on ramping up operations to accommodate more students, so something tells me my company did not see this coming.

China and Chinese airlines not being transparent about the severity of the situation? Probably has more to do with it.

How many other flight schools are going to feel this pinch? How many instructors will not be getting to ATP minimums in a timely manner to fill seats at the regionals? Is this the next wave of the industry slow down?
flybub is offline  
Old 02-27-2020, 07:15 AM   #12  
Gets Weekends Off
 
feltf4's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2011
Position: spinning pedals on the weekend
Posts: 804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboy View Post
What about secondary barriers? Thats the REAL threat.
No it starts at 1 out of 3 getting extra
Screening from TSA. THEN it starts at secondary barrier. And finally OXY mask.

Donít forget to get extra screening.
feltf4 is offline  
Old 02-27-2020, 07:19 AM   #13  
Gets Weekends Off
 
feltf4's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2011
Position: spinning pedals on the weekend
Posts: 804
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybub View Post
I'm far from the majors, but our flight school closed yesterday. We were told is directly related to the virus. We got notice to clean out our mailbox and leave key at the front desk, the company is ceasing operations effective immediately. 150 instructors on the street today looking for a job. We primarily trained Chinese students and with China air ops slowing to a crawl they are unable to pay the flight schools for the training. So, we essentially went bankrupt training all these kids and not being paid by their parent airline.

Bad management by my company? Probably has something to do with it. We just bought 20 airplanes a month ago and planned on ramping up operations to accommodate more students, so something tells me my company did not see this coming.

China and Chinese airlines not being transparent about the severity of the situation? Probably has more to do with it.

How many other flight schools are going to feel this pinch? How many instructors will not be getting to ATP minimums in a timely manner to fill seats at the regionals? Is this the next wave of the industry slow down?

I know nothing about where you work. But, Iím guessing whoever runs the show was shutting doors regardless. Iím a believer this just needs to get to the second page of the news paper, and also people need to read more than just a headline. There are plenty of stats saying itís slowing, the flu is worse, and that those basically with compromised immune systems are at risk (shocker!!)

Wash your hands. Cover your mouth. Ride it out, hopefully investors stop selling purely on emotion. And if they donít. Hopefully you have some cash to ride the market on its way up.
feltf4 is offline  
Old 02-27-2020, 07:27 AM   #14  
Layover Master
 
PotatoChip's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2013
Posts: 3,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybub View Post
I'm far from the majors, but our flight school closed yesterday. We were told is directly related to the virus. We got notice to clean out our mailbox and leave key at the front desk, the company is ceasing operations effective immediately. 150 instructors on the street today looking for a job. We primarily trained Chinese students and with China air ops slowing to a crawl they are unable to pay the flight schools for the training. So, we essentially went bankrupt training all these kids and not being paid by their parent airline.

Bad management by my company? Probably has something to do with it. We just bought 20 airplanes a month ago and planned on ramping up operations to accommodate more students, so something tells me my company did not see this coming.

China and Chinese airlines not being transparent about the severity of the situation? Probably has more to do with it.

How many other flight schools are going to feel this pinch? How many instructors will not be getting to ATP minimums in a timely manner to fill seats at the regionals? Is this the next wave of the industry slow down?
That sucks, hate to hear that.
But this relates to JetBlue how??
PotatoChip is offline  
Old 02-27-2020, 11:01 AM   #15  
On Reserve
 
Glenn Would's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2015
Posts: 22
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoChip View Post
That sucks, hate to hear that.
But this relates to JetBlue how??
Canít speak exactly for him/her, but I can guess that itís the concern of this potentially being the start of another Lost Decade for us. I know thatís definitely a fear of mine right now: being on the wrong side of the timing (still at a regional/time-building gig, or worse, close to retirement) with another 8-10 years of stagnation (at best), or shrinking/furloughs/bankruptcies/airline closures on the horizon. Now, whether it actually happens like it did from 9/11-2012 or not remains to be seen.

With that said, I do know that there are plenty of things we can do to prevent such a disaster from completely derailing us financially. Try to get rid of as much of your debt as quickly as you can, have a diverse portfolio and stay on top of it, have at least one other source of income (preferably something that has absolutely nothing to do with airlines/aviation), and continue to learn new marketable skills and apply them to the marketplace. My opinion, of course.
Glenn Would is offline  
Old 02-27-2020, 12:42 PM   #16  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Bluedriver's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2011
Position: EMB190 FO
Posts: 4,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Would View Post
Canít speak exactly for him/her, but I can guess that itís the concern of this potentially being the start of another Lost Decade for us. I know thatís definitely a fear of mine right now: being on the wrong side of the timing (still at a regional/time-building gig, or worse, close to retirement) with another 8-10 years of stagnation (at best), or shrinking/furloughs/bankruptcies/airline closures on the horizon. Now, whether it actually happens like it did from 9/11-2012 or not remains to be seen.

With that said, I do know that there are plenty of things we can do to prevent such a disaster from completely derailing us financially. Try to get rid of as much of your debt as quickly as you can, have a diverse portfolio and stay on top of it, have at least one other source of income (preferably something that has absolutely nothing to do with airlines/aviation), and continue to learn new marketable skills and apply them to the marketplace. My opinion, of course.
Might I suggest going 100% into Orange Juice futures?
Bluedriver is offline  
Old 02-27-2020, 06:41 PM   #17  
Gets Weekends Off
 
ThreeStripe's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2015
Posts: 503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver View Post
Might I suggest going 100% into Orange Juice futures?
oh, I see what you did there. It was the Dukes, it was the Dukes.
ThreeStripe is offline  
Old 02-27-2020, 08:29 PM   #18  
Gets Weekends Off
 
likeitis's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Posts: 453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by feltf4 View Post
No it starts at 1 out of 3 getting extra
Screening from TSA. THEN it starts at secondary barrier. And finally OXY mask.

Donít forget to get extra screening.
If you talked to an ENT with knowledge of cockpit O2 systems your priorities may change.
likeitis is offline  
Old 02-27-2020, 08:40 PM   #19  
Line Holder
 
Desdi's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2018
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeitis View Post
If you talked to an ENT with knowledge of cockpit O2 systems your priorities may change.
He was being facetious, canít you tell?

He was referencing the Alpa Govt Affairs email with no reference to pushing for change to the O2 requirement, but concentrating on secondary barriers.
Desdi is online now  
Old 03-01-2020, 06:53 PM   #20  
Gets Weekends Off
 
ridinhigh's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jun 2009
Posts: 150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybub View Post
I'm far from the majors, but our flight school closed yesterday. We were told is directly related to the virus. We got notice to clean out our mailbox and leave key at the front desk, the company is ceasing operations effective immediately. 150 instructors on the street today looking for a job. We primarily trained Chinese students and with China air ops slowing to a crawl they are unable to pay the flight schools for the training. So, we essentially went bankrupt training all these kids and not being paid by their parent airline.

Bad management by my company? Probably has something to do with it. We just bought 20 airplanes a month ago and planned on ramping up operations to accommodate more students, so something tells me my company did not see this coming.

China and Chinese airlines not being transparent about the severity of the situation? Probably has more to do with it.

How many other flight schools are going to feel this pinch? How many instructors will not be getting to ATP minimums in a timely manner to fill seats at the regionals? Is this the next wave of the industry slow down?

I donít want to sound rude but Iím a bit pleased the system is slowing them down for the worlds sake. There is only so much ďgrowthĒ the earth will support. Seeing new plane after plane ferrying over there worries me on humanities future.
May you do as recommended above and pursue other avenues as a backup in the mean time to flying. 9-11 saw me doing construction for quite awhile and making more money than flying at the time. Iíve since used the education in that to line of work to take care of my own homes/rentals. As we are about to see flying is a luxury, not required for life. And 20 years later Iíd probably be making more in construction still.
living the dream
ridinhigh is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:45 AM.