Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Roll Inverted and Pull's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: Retired 767 Captain
Posts: 514
Default Ba 777

I checked this on Snopes, but found nothing.

A friend sent this concerning the Boeing 777 that crashed short of the
runway in London a few weeks ago.


Well, the British aircraft accident investigation board has finally
come around to the conclusion that I made several weeks ago: the event was
RF-induced.

Prime Minister Dr. Gordon Brown's motorcade was passing under the
approach path of BA038. His security system utilised a RF transmitter to block out
any cell-phone triggered devices. Apparently this system has a two mile
range, and it caused the Boeing 777 EEC's (electronic engine controls) to sense a
"overboost" situation, thereby commanding a reduced-thrust situation for
the engines, simultaneously. Most interesting.

We'll see how Boeing and the BAA handle this one. This could be
potentially bad, in view of the simplicity of technology that the bad guys
could use to bring down an airliner.
Roll Inverted and Pull is offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #2  
Working Class Dog
 
11Fan's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: Spares Pusher
Posts: 1,625
Default

You're gettin lots of nibbles there Capt'n, but nobody's biting.
11Fan is offline  
Old 03-04-2008, 08:37 AM   #3  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Roll Inverted and Pull's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: Retired 767 Captain
Posts: 514
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Fan View Post
You're gettin lots of nibbles there Capt'n, but nobody's biting.
Yeah...it does sound like B.S. doesn`t it?
Roll Inverted and Pull is offline  
Old 03-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #4  
Prime Minister/Moderator
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim
Posts: 29,176
Default

Sounds like Enquirer material, but it's not totally far-fetched. The DoD spends a lot of money hardening critical systems against electromagnetic spectrum attacks.

There's little doubt that at close range the SPY-1 phased-array radar on Ticonderoga class cruisers or Arleigh Burke class destroyers could interfere with various systems on a fly-by-wire civilian aircraft.
rickair7777 is offline  
Old 03-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #5  
On Reserve
 
FADECmonkey's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Posts: 13
Default

I'll bite.

Here is a link to the latest on this from the AAIB (British version of the NTSB):

http://www.aaib.dft.gov.uk/latest_ne...in_s1_2008.cfm

In the report they said the left engine thrust reduction happened ~ 7 seconds after the right engine. They also said the data shows the EECs slewed the fuel metering valves further open to attempt to increase thrust. So I would say the EEC was not the issue.
They also apparently found evidence of fuel pump cavitation on both engines (even though the plane had enough fuel on board).

What does it all mean? I think you're right. RF-induced failure, but not from a car below. It was an airliners.net pax who had video camera, iPod, and cell phone on.
FADECmonkey is offline  
Old 03-04-2008, 03:59 PM   #6  
Gets Weekends Off
 
bravo24's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2006
Posts: 167
Default

I'm a little skeptical, but hey anything is possible.

One of the certification requirements for the airplane is the ability to operate normally in the presence of external EMI - especially critical systems such as flight controls and propulsion.

The EECs and all of the related wiring is heavily shielded to prevent such an event. It's possible that the ground on a shield or the EEC itself could be disconnected which could allow a stray signal to interfere with system operation.
bravo24 is offline  
Old 03-04-2008, 05:54 PM   #7  
Gets Weekends Off
 
CRJ1000's Avatar
 
Joined APC: May 2007
Position: B-747-400/8
Posts: 131
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
There's little doubt that at close range the SPY-1 phased-array radar on Ticonderoga class cruisers or Arleigh Burke class destroyers could interfere with various systems on a fly-by-wire civilian aircraft.
There was an F-16 back in 98 that went down about 100 miles from my friends FFG...it flew over a CG and started going crazy. The pilot ejected but froze in the cold water off Korea before he got picked up. http://www.f-16.net/news_article325.html

I don't think a mobile blocking device would have enough power to mess up a 777... but sure makes you think.

Last edited by CRJ1000; 03-04-2008 at 06:35 PM.
CRJ1000 is offline  
Old 03-04-2008, 06:06 PM   #8  
Rubber dogsh#t out of HKG
 
Radials Rule's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: Senior Seat Cushion Tester Extraordinaire
Posts: 588
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll Inverted and Pull View Post
I checked this on Snopes, but found nothing.

A friend sent this concerning the Boeing 777 that crashed short of the
runway in London a few weeks ago.


Well, the British aircraft accident investigation board has finally
come around to the conclusion that I made several weeks ago: the event was
RF-induced.

Prime Minister Dr. Gordon Brown's motorcade was passing under the
approach path of BA038. His security system utilised a RF transmitter to block out
any cell-phone triggered devices. Apparently this system has a two mile
range, and it caused the Boeing 777 EEC's (electronic engine controls) to sense a
"overboost" situation, thereby commanding a reduced-thrust situation for
the engines, simultaneously. Most interesting.

We'll see how Boeing and the BAA handle this one. This could be
potentially bad, in view of the simplicity of technology that the bad guys
could use to bring down an airliner.
me thinks that's just a conspiracy theory.

the engines were not running at all when the crash trucks arrived and the power loss was well before the road
Radials Rule is offline  
Old 03-04-2008, 06:36 PM   #9  
Retired
 
DYNASTY HVY's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: whale wrangler
Posts: 3,453
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll Inverted and Pull View Post
I checked this on Snopes, but found nothing.

A friend sent this concerning the Boeing 777 that crashed short of the
runway in London a few weeks ago.


Well, the British aircraft accident investigation board has finally
come around to the conclusion that I made several weeks ago: the event was
RF-induced.

Prime Minister Dr. Gordon Brown's motorcade was passing under the
approach path of BA038. His security system utilised a RF transmitter to block out
any cell-phone triggered devices. Apparently this system has a two mile
range, and it caused the Boeing 777 EEC's (electronic engine controls) to sense a
"overboost" situation, thereby commanding a reduced-thrust situation for
the engines, simultaneously. Most interesting.

We'll see how Boeing and the BAA handle this one. This could be
potentially bad, in view of the simplicity of technology that the bad guys
could use to bring down an airliner.
Will Mr.Rod Serling pick up the white courtesy phone!
DYNASTY HVY is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New BA 777 info boost Cargo 1 02-01-2008 03:38 PM
Computer failure most likely cause of 777 British Airways 38 accident bgmann Foreign 25 01-30-2008 11:26 AM
777 Pay? Piloto Noche Cargo 46 12-02-2007 10:16 PM
Question to CAL EWR and IAH 756 and 777 FO's. Lifeisgood Major 0 09-15-2007 11:10 AM
Airbus A350 muscles in on the 777 vagabond Technical 3 09-06-2007 02:51 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:09 AM.