Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums - Connect and get the inside scoop on Airline Companies

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ. Join our community today and start interacting with existing members. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.


User Tag List

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 08:12 AM   #1  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,619
Default Unofficial Guide to Advanced Entitlement (APA)

Definitions

Advanced Entitlement (AE) - A position awarded based on your preference
Voluntary Displacement (VD, not a disease) - If the company has posted surpluses in your category, you can elect to volunteer to take the displacement in lieu of a junior pilot
Mandatory Displacement (MD) - You are forced out of your category due to surplus
Conversion - Getting assigned to your new category
Initial Operating Experience (IOE) - After your simulator training your checkout in the airplane with a Line Check pilot
Transoceanic Operating Experience (TOE) - Extra check out for pilot's going to international flying

Bid Postings

Management will post vacancies and surpluses whenever they want to. Generally you have about 3-6 per year depending upon the level of fleet changes. The standard bid has a 210 day window from bid closing to when they are required to convert you. The company has the option to specify a 365 day window for one bid a year (they just used this option for 2009).

After the bid closes, they will post the award within a few days. Sometimes it is the same day, sometimes it is 5 or 6 days. Shortly after that, they will post a projected training schedule so you can get an idea when you are going to the school house. When you are approaching your training, you have to order your new aircraft publications (can be done online) and they will either be shipped to your house (I think you have to pay for it) or they will send them to your base. All training requires you to complete a home study course before going to class.

When you are in training, you will get converted to your new category. If your training is scheduled to end before the 16th you will be converted in that month. If your training is scheduled to end after that, you will be converted in the next month. For example if your training is scheduled to end June 10th you will be converted June 1. If your training is scheduled to end June 20th you will converted July 1. After training, you are on the hook to get your IOE/TOE. If you have important family events in that time you can try to call the IOE planners ahead of time and they usually will work with you.

After your IOE/TOE is complete, you have two options for the rest of the month. You can get a reserve line with pro-rated X-days or you can get a blank regular line. If you take the blank regular line, you can try to pick up trips, but if you don't get a trip, then you get no pay. The pay for the time you are in training and IOE/TOE is too complicated to put down here, generally you get a prorated portion of the ALV for the month.

Conversions

For AE's and VD's, pilots are trained and converted in seniority order. They can put a more junior pilot ahead of you for one month, after that you get pay protection. Displacements are done in inverse seniority order.

If you get an AE or VD, you will lose your vacation selections and will have to rebid them in your new category. (they process vacation move-ups every month). If you get an MD then you will keep your vacations in your new category.

One thing to remember is that all pilots in a prior bid can be converted ahead of you, even if they are junior.

Displacements

If you are displaced (MD), then you can take any positions in any base that your seniority can hold. If you take a VD, then you can displace into any position in any base that the pilot who would have been displaced (mandatorily) instead of you can hold. For example, you are seniority 5000 and elect to take a voluntary displacement. If you didn't take the displacement, then a more junior pilot would have been forced to take a displacement, his seniority is 5600. You can move to any position that seniority 5600 can hold throughout the system.

Freezes

Freezes start on the DATE OF THE BID AWARD for AE and VD. They usually last 24 months. If you are already on a 767 and go to another 767 (ER or 767-400) then your freeze is 9 months. If you get an MD you don't have a freeze.

Preferences (Pref Card)

You have many options to enter when you make your bid. You can specify regular line only, or top XX%, or top XXX in the category. They try to honor those choices pretty well, but since you are converted in seniority order it is possible you could be more junior than you specified until all pilots are trained. Most pilots give themselves a little slack on the percentages because it doesn't always work exactly.

You have to make individual entries for AE choices, VD choices, and MD choices. They stay in the computer until you change them. EXCEPTION: Once you get an award, they are all erased. You will get a popup message when they have posted a new bid to remind you to check your bids. Make sure you don't have something sitting in there that you put in three years ago, but no longer want.
alfaromeo is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 08:37 AM   #2  
Gets Weekends Off
 
siemprerojo's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Boeing 757 First Officer and Cessna 182H financier
Posts: 106
Default

Thanks again for the information and taking the time. You are making us FN lives much easier.
siemprerojo is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 09:12 AM   #3  
Inventory survival kit ..
 
Nosmo King's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Seeking no jacket required rotations
Posts: 1,069
Default

Quote:
If you are displaced (MD), then you can take any positions in any base that your seniority can hold. If you take a VD, then you can displace into any position in any base that the pilot who would have been displaced (mandatorily) instead of you can hold. For example, you are seniority 5000 and elect to take a voluntary displacement. If you didn't take the displacement, then a more junior pilot would have been forced to take a displacement, his seniority is 5600. You can move to any position that seniority 5600 can hold throughout the system.
Now has to be modified to:
If you are displaced (MD), then you can take any positions in any base that your seniority can hold UNLESS FENCED FOR THE OTHER PRE-MERGER PILOT GROUP. If you take a VD, then you can displace into any position in any base that the pilot who would have been displaced (mandatorily) instead of you can hold UNLESS FENCED FOR THE OTHER PRE-MERGER PILOT GROUP. For example, you are seniority 5000 and elect to take a voluntary displacement. If you didn't take the displacement, then a more junior pilot would have been forced to take a displacement, his seniority is 5600. You can move to any position that seniority 5600 can hold throughout the system UNLESS FENCED FOR THE OTHER PRE-MERGER PILOT GROUP.
Nosmo King is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #4  
Back on TDY
 
Carl Spackler's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: 747-400 Captain
Posts: 12,496
Default

Are you paid for the home-study courses you are required to complete before beginning training at the school house?

Carl
Carl Spackler is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 11:23 AM   #5  
Gets Weekends Off
Thread Starter
 
Joined APC: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,619
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Spackler View Post
Are you paid for the home-study courses you are required to complete before beginning training at the school house?

Carl
Yes, one hour of pay for every three hours of CD run time. The CD run time is usually very liberal and you can get it done much quicker than the time allotted.
alfaromeo is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #6  
Line Holder
 
gripen's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: M88A
Posts: 87
Default

Thanks again for your effort helping us FNW newbies out.

The mention of IOE above reminded me of something I have been wanting to ask for a while. At NW some IOE trips are withheld before bidding, but "some" of them ends up on FO's "lines". Then if you get replaced for IOE you are on the hook for reserve on the days the trip/rotation worked. It used to be a good deal where you could sit at home being paid for the trip and you where only on the hook for the original trip. Now, however you are basically first to go out on reserve for any trip.

How does it work at Delta?
gripen is offline  
Old 01-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #7  
Line Holder
 
NoSoupForYou's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: DAL 7ER F/O
Posts: 90
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfaromeo View Post
Yes, one hour of pay for every three hours of CD run time. The CD run time is usually very liberal and you can get it done much quicker than the time allotted.
Minor point, but the CD runtime is based on non-stop viewing with no delay to respond to questions. I would submit therefore it is impossible to accomplish the CDs in the posted runtime- or anything even close to it.

Not a big deal, just saying...

Soup

PS- And Advance Entitlements have been more like 2 or 3 per year for awhile now...as opposed to 3-6.
NoSoupForYou is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 07:17 AM   #8  
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,027
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gripen View Post
The mention of IOE above reminded me of something I have been wanting to ask for a while. At NW some IOE trips are withheld before bidding, but "some" of them ends up on FO's "lines". Then if you get replaced for IOE you are on the hook for reserve on the days the trip/rotation worked. It used to be a good deal where you could sit at home being paid for the trip and you where only on the hook for the original trip. Now, however you are basically first to go out on reserve for any trip.

Its pretty much the same here. If you have an IOE on your trip, you are on the hook for recovery flying. Recovery flying is given out before they give trips to reserves. There are some restrictions, a recovery trip can't sign in before your original trip and it has to be back within six hours of the original trips release time. International though, they can get you back the next day. One small point....if your trip has an IOE only on a portion of it, you are not subject to recovery flying. So if you look at your trip and the first 4 legs have an IOE, but the rest of the trip is normal, don't drop it! If you fly any portion of your original trip you will not get recovery flying.
Xray678 is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 07:31 AM   #9  
Looking for a laugh
 
Justdoinmyjob's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,099
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray678 View Post
Its pretty much the same here. If you have an IOE on your trip, you are on the hook for recovery flying. Recovery flying is given out before they give trips to reserves. There are some restrictions, a recovery trip can't sign in before your original trip and it has to be back within six hours of the original trips release time. International though, they can get you back the next day. One small point....if your trip has an IOE only on a portion of it, you are not subject to recovery flying. So if you look at your trip and the first 4 legs have an IOE, but the rest of the trip is normal, don't drop it! If you fly any portion of your original trip you will not get recovery flying.
Isn't there also a part where, if they don't use you the first day, you have no further commitment? Example: They take a 4-day for IOE. You have 23K recovery on the first day, but if you don't get reassigned, you are free of duty for the next three days. My "When Scheduling Calls" is in my brainbag and I'm not sure about the exact verbage.
Justdoinmyjob is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 07:55 AM   #10  
Line Holder
 
gripen's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: M88A
Posts: 87
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray678 View Post
Its pretty much the same here. If you have an IOE on your trip, you are on the hook for recovery flying. Recovery flying is given out before they give trips to reserves. There are some restrictions, a recovery trip can't sign in before your original trip and it has to be back within six hours of the original trips release time. International though, they can get you back the next day. One small point....if your trip has an IOE only on a portion of it, you are not subject to recovery flying. So if you look at your trip and the first 4 legs have an IOE, but the rest of the trip is normal, don't drop it! If you fly any portion of your original trip you will not get recovery flying.
Thanks,

That is actually a slight improvement over our current situation, since they could have you show up 4am even if you originally had a pm report...
gripen is offline  
 
 
 

 
Post Reply
 



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Unofficial Guide to Delta Reserve alfaromeo Mergers and Acquisitions 21 06-14-2015 05:33 AM
Unofficial Guide to Delta PBS Bidding alfaromeo Mergers and Acquisitions 9 06-03-2014 07:13 AM
Unofficial Guide to Delta Scheduling (Definitions) alfaromeo Mergers and Acquisitions 13 01-14-2009 06:00 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:48 PM.