Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Military (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/military/)
-   -   USAFR Pay (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/military/2419-usafr-pay.html)

L'il J.Seinfeld 02-03-2006 07:04 PM

USAFR Pay
 
I wish someone had explained this to me before I got off AD. I got my dream job at UPS, but the USAFR is saving me right now. My first year pay at UPS is $800 after taxes every 2 weeks. In the USAFR I can easily make 3k a month. I do not claim to be an expert, but this is how I understand the system works. I am sure others will correct any mistakes I may have included.

There are 5 ways to get paid working in the reserves.

TP Training period TP is a 4 hour block where you get paid 1/30th of your monthly base pay plus 1/30th of your flight pay. You do not get housing or subsistence. There are two types of TPs; flight and ground. You can do two flight TPs in a single day. That's how you get paid for 2 days and only work 1. You can also do a ground and flight TP but not 2 ground TPs in the same calendar day. You are allocated 48 TPs in a year and you can only do 16 per quarter. You do not have to complete all of your TPs.

Annual Tour Day You have 15 days of annual tour to do. You can break them up however you wish and they are paid the same as if you were on active duty.

Man Day There are two types of man days and they are Reserve and Military. Military is when the active duty needs help and pays the Reserve member. A man day is paid as if you were on active duty i.e. 1/30th of your basic pay plus BAH, fly pay and any other allowances. A man day would be used for sitting Alert, getting you PHA done, or travelling on a TDY to get your alt chamber renewed. Reserve Man days are what get curtailed when money gets tight.

RUMP I forget what it stands for. It is a 4 hour block where you get paid 1/60th of your base pay and fly pay. It involves doing special non-mission related duties such as Awards and Decs. The limit is 24 and you can do 2 Rumps in 1 day.

UTA UTA days are the best. Units have a UTA weekend every month. They count as 4 TPs so you get paid for 4 days while working 2. You can also reschedule them if you can't make the scheduled unit UTA.

So if your goal was to make as much money as possible without taking a deployment you would at least be able to do the following:
48 UTA TPs (12 months X 4 TPs=48pay days)
15 Annual Tour Days
48 TPs
24 Rumps=12 pay days

That totals 123 pay days. There are unlimited man days right now if you accept a deployment. Under federal law you can miss work at your civilian job in order to do mil duty. I ususally do 8-10 days a month with the Reserves. That means I get 15-20 USAFR paydays. Once I get to second year pay (assuming we get a FedEx-type contract) I would lose money if I took mil leave and will probably only do the UTA weekend and one flight per month in order to maximize time at home. Each pay day you get counts as 1 point towards your retirement. You get 1 point for every day you spent on AD. Right now an O-5 retirement pays something like 45 cents per point per month and starts at age 60.

Thank God for the USAFR. As much as I hated the AD and the corrupt leadership, I love the reserves and the folks in the unit. It's amazing how much you can accomplish when you don't care who gets the credit.

TankerDriver 02-03-2006 07:42 PM

Good post L'il. Sounds similar to the ANG. I'm assuming it's the same? I'm looking to Palace Chase to the guard and it looks like I will probably need to get a civilian flying job also. I agree 110% with you about AD. Of course, the money will be hard to leave. As an O-2, deployed as much as I am, I'm bringing in over $60k a year, plus the cost of benefits. It's not too shabby, but I'm willing to take a pay cut to leave.

Barrel Roll 135 11-08-2007 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L'il J.Seinfeld (Post 15846)
I wish someone had explained this to me before I got off AD. I got my dream job at UPS, but the USAFR is saving me right now. My first year pay at UPS is $800 after taxes every 2 weeks. In the USAFR I can easily make 3k a month. I do not claim to be an expert, but this is how I understand the system works. I am sure others will correct any mistakes I may have included.

There are 5 ways to get paid working in the reserves.

TP Training period TP is a 4 hour block where you get paid 1/30th of your monthly base pay plus 1/30th of your flight pay. You do not get housing or subsistence. There are two types of TPs; flight and ground. You can do two flight TPs in a single day. That's how you get paid for 2 days and only work 1. You can also do a ground and flight TP but not 2 ground TPs in the same calendar day. You are allocated 48 TPs in a year and you can only do 16 per quarter. You do not have to complete all of your TPs.

Annual Tour Day You have 15 days of annual tour to do. You can break them up however you wish and they are paid the same as if you were on active duty.

Man Day There are two types of man days and they are Reserve and Military. Military is when the active duty needs help and pays the Reserve member. A man day is paid as if you were on active duty i.e. 1/30th of your basic pay plus BAH, fly pay and any other allowances. A man day would be used for sitting Alert, getting you PHA done, or travelling on a TDY to get your alt chamber renewed. Reserve Man days are what get curtailed when money gets tight.

RUMP I forget what it stands for. It is a 4 hour block where you get paid 1/60th of your base pay and fly pay. It involves doing special non-mission related duties such as Awards and Decs. The limit is 24 and you can do 2 Rumps in 1 day.

UTA UTA days are the best. Units have a UTA weekend every month. They count as 4 TPs so you get paid for 4 days while working 2. You can also reschedule them if you can't make the scheduled unit UTA.

So if your goal was to make as much money as possible without taking a deployment you would at least be able to do the following:
48 UTA TPs (12 months X 4 TPs=48pay days)
15 Annual Tour Days
48 TPs
24 Rumps=12 pay days

That totals 123 pay days. There are unlimited man days right now if you accept a deployment. Under federal law you can miss work at your civilian job in order to do mil duty. I ususally do 8-10 days a month with the Reserves. That means I get 15-20 USAFR paydays. Once I get to second year pay (assuming we get a FedEx-type contract) I would lose money if I took mil leave and will probably only do the UTA weekend and one flight per month in order to maximize time at home. Each pay day you get counts as 1 point towards your retirement. You get 1 point for every day you spent on AD. Right now an O-5 retirement pays something like 45 cents per point per month and starts at age 60.

Thank God for the USAFR. As much as I hated the AD and the corrupt leadership, I love the reserves and the folks in the unit. It's amazing how much you can accomplish when you don't care who gets the credit.

This post is pretty old and I've decided to revive it since it's so great. Does anyone else out there have any tips on maximizing pay or just some good ol' knowledge and making the system work for you? I just started at my new C-130 unit and from what I hear, there are some guys out there that have the system down to a science.

reCALcitrant 11-08-2007 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrel Roll 135 (Post 260084)
This post is pretty old and I've decided to revive it since it's so great. Does anyone else out there have any tips on maximizing pay or just some good ol' knowledge and making the system work for you? I just started at my new C-130 unit and from what I hear, there are some guys out there that have the system down to a science.


Burn up all your UTA's and TP's as fast as you can. All other time request man days. If they need you and you have used all your UTA's and TP's, they have to give you AD days. Also, if you live out of town from your reserve unit, you get paid a travel day in and out. I.E. Monday-travel to unit (mileage plus per diem plus AD day. Tuesday-Thursday AD. Friday-Travel. Same as before. This means 5 days of AD pay for 3 days at the unit. Of course you are traveling on the other days. Also, using UTA's and TP's together makes billeting easier. Always on a 40A and no money on the charge card. On the Man days you get per diem, file a travel voucher, and get reimbursed. Makes the paperwork simpler. Hope this helps.

Stella 11-09-2007 05:38 AM

Thanks for reviving this post Barrel roll 135. This is a great post. Nobody ever tells you this stuff while your on active duty.

REAL Pilot 11-09-2007 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stella (Post 260570)
Thanks for reviving this post Barrel roll 135. This is a great post. Nobody ever tells you this stuff while your on active duty.


Thats because its on a need to know basis.:)

Rocco 11-09-2007 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L'il J.Seinfeld (Post 15846)

Thank God for the USAFR. As much as I hated the AD and the corrupt leadership, I love the reserves and the folks in the unit. It's amazing how much you can accomplish when you don't care who gets the credit.

You are right about taking credit. Amazing what levels some people will go to for a "moment" in the sun.

Wont ever hear of anyone talking of the reserves. Very well kept secret. May change though, with the "right sizing", "force shaping"...er what ever...that is going on right now. Paying pensions and medical benefits for 40+ years is something the DOD is trying to get out of.

I guess you did not get the VSP:mad:

L'il J.Seinfeld 11-09-2007 11:39 AM

I actually left the USAFR last fall. I felt a little guilty, but only for a moment, for using the unit to feed my family that probation year. I decided that the USAF got a lot out of me and my fmaily sacrificed through the deployments and "using" the USAFR for the money was something I could live with. But in the end I could not commit to the unit the way you need to in order to serve.

Rocco 11-09-2007 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L'il J.Seinfeld (Post 260790)
I actually left the USAFR last fall. I felt a little guilty, but only for a moment, for using the unit to feed my family that probation year. I decided that the USAF got a lot out of me and my fmaily sacrificed through the deployments and "using" the USAFR for the money was something I could live with. But in the end I could not commit to the unit the way you need to in order to serve.


Did you just leave or go IRR?

L'il J.Seinfeld 11-10-2007 06:50 PM

IRR with no intention of going back to being a drilling reservist.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:30 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Website Copyright 2000 - 2017 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands