Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Information on Avenge King Air ISR flying

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 12:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: King Air PIC

Originally Posted by Clue32 View Post
Word around the water cooler is that Avenge is dead. MAG apparently bought Avenge outright last week after they were (unsurprisingly) unable to staff the contract. Haven't found a press release yet though. Anyone have an official release?
Same as others, I can not personally confirm this. My source though was a former Avenger that by way of his current Avenge contacts saw the E-mail that the President/Owner of Avenge sent out to his employees. Seems pretty legit to me that they are going away.

Any comments from the guys that were in the process of interviewing for them?
Old 09-20-2017, 06:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: BE350 PIC

Wow. Never expected that.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2017, 11:11 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2016

It is true and neither MAG or Avenge can staff their contracts.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013
Position: King Air PIC

Originally Posted by flynhigh2004 View Post
It is true and neither MAG or Avenge can staff their contracts.
I was aware that Avenge was having trouble manning the planes, hence why they had to default the contract. My understanding was that they transferred the contract to MAG. I was not aware that MAG was also having trouble manning the planes. Could it be possible they default as well?

Perhaps these events could lead to a pay increase across the ISR platforms. (Wishful thinking I know)
Old 09-28-2017, 01:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: B757 Ca, Retired.

Originally Posted by MilitaryAV8R View Post
I was aware that Avenge was having trouble manning the planes, hence why they had to default the contract. My understanding was that they transferred the contract to MAG. I was not aware that MAG was also having trouble manning the planes. Could it be possible they default as well?

Perhaps these events could lead to a pay increase across the ISR platforms. (Wishful thinking I know)
More pay per day will help, but the fact is that the number of available, qualified, willing, and suitable to go downrange pool of pilots is shrinking.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

I was aware that Avenge was having trouble manning the planes, hence why they had to default the contract
I was under the impression that MAG bought Avenge after they lost the contract to them. I got an email from MAG last week stating they had updated minimum requirements. It turns out the new mins are the same as Avenge was calling for just before the won the contract. I think MAG bought Avenge(and the contract) and they're having to lower mins to get pilots who will work for cheap enough in order to staff this contract and still make a profit.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by F224 View Post
More pay per day will help, but the fact is that the number of available, qualified, willing, and suitable to go downrange pool of pilots is shrinking.

Bring business class Travel to and from work back and they’ll decrease attrition by 10-15%...
Old 09-29-2017, 02:53 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Originally Posted by Otterbox View Post
Bring business class Travel to and from work back and they’ll decrease attrition by 10-15%...
I've said that 1000 times! I'd take 25-50 less off the day rate at current daily prices for a biz class seat. I'm going to loose that money in taxes probably anyway, why not just have them pay it for transportation costs instead.

I think it's less about what it costs (To the Army on their contracts) than it's appearance of extravagant spending.

Nobody defaulted on the contract btw. Also, F224 nailed it. The pool of pilots qualified to meet the requirements set forth by the customer is just a puddle.

Good on MAG for eating what they killed!
Old 09-29-2017, 10:52 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: 145, MQ-9
Default shortage, due to clearance stupilations

There will be a shortage of L3/MAG pilots because before you could be boots on ground and have a security clearance in the works, as of July, one must have the background check adjudicated and complete before being in theatre. The replacement pilot numbers coming in are a fraction of those going out.

This is a HUGE change and pretty much limits the hiring pool to those with a clearance currently, i.e. Guard, Reserve or some other gov agency types. All others will take a year+ to get their clearance.

Many are leaving the King Air ISR world to pick up SWA, Delta, United jobs at home. You can imagine what living deployed is like, especially for pure civilians who've never had the pleasure and perspective of a mil guy fighting the war since 9-11. It wears on those with a family and gets old fast. The pay is fair, but seeing your kids before theyre grown and gone and seeing other better paying contractor gigs might be a factor.

MAG is run very well, Avenge...as others noted, reaped what they sowed.

Its an easy flying job, MAG and L3 are two very different contracts and planes, look into both and decide if youre more of an ARMY or Air Force type of flyer/culture person. Also decide which lifestyle is easier.
Old 09-30-2017, 08:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Tu-95 PIC

Originally Posted by ClonePilot View Post
There will be a shortage of L3/MAG pilots because before you could be boots on ground and have a security clearance in the works, as of July, one must have the background check adjudicated and complete before being in theatre. The replacement pilot numbers coming in are a fraction of those going out.

This is a HUGE change and pretty much limits the hiring pool to those with a clearance currently, i.e. Guard, Reserve or some other gov agency types. All others will take a year+ to get their clearance.
This change has been in place for a while. I've met a few individuals who have been hired and had to wait 8 months after receiving the offer letter to start the job.