Single Pilot 135 Startup

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Single Pilot 135 Startup

Old 08-18-2017, 07:03 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2017
Default Single Pilot 135 Startup

Hey, guys. I recently left a 135 gig freight dogging single pilot in a Caravan, and I'm exploring the idea of starting my own single pilot 135 operation (singe pilot, not single PIC). In my efforts to draft a business plan, the biggest obstacle I'm running into is determining market demand for a piston single or light twin (Seneca or similar).

The FAA's activity survey from 2012 seems to indicate piston 135 operators averaged about 240 hours per aircraft annually. That seems high and sometimes those numbers involve some complexity. Based on what I can tell from being around the biz for many years and some admittedly rudimentary research, I think a decently safe bet for a light twin in the Midwest is around 125-200 hours per year. If there's anyone that has experience with a single-aircraft operation like this, let me know what your take is on that. The last thing I want to do is undershoot the mark by 50 (or more) hours and struggle to break even. There are some good brokers in my area (plus FlyOtto) that tell me there's decent demand for a light twin, but they didn't get into specifics in terms of hours per year, etc. There seem to be quite a few flying around out there.

I'm very familiar with the cost side... Operating cost, etc. But, estimating revenue hours has proven to be difficult and there's really no clear information out there that I've been able to find yet.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: JAFO- First Observer

I can't speak to your marketing questions, but another aspect to consider is the FAA 135 certification process. It is lengthy and frequently overwhelming if you have never been through it.
Even if you pay a consultant firm to prepare documents, such as the PASI and compliance statement, you still must be actively involved and very familiar with all the requirements. If you have not yet done so, research FAA Order 8900.1, Volume 2, Air Carrier Certification Process so you will know what to expect. It could take a while just to get to "your turn" in the CSOP queue if FSDO resources are tight (most likely they are) due to staffing, retirements and hiring freeze.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: And hold

You're better off smashing your head with a brick. I am doing something similar with a group of people starting a small airline. Think Sandpiper air from the TV show Wings.

Knowing what to expect we took both tracks. We applied for a certificate AND bought one. That was nearly 3 years ago. We have yet to have gotten approval for either one. We missed a deadline (only one and the FAA had yet to meet any deadline) and they put us back in the wait list.

We are still waiting on the purchased certificate to be approved for transfer. It likely will never be. Meanwhile we throw 10s of thousands down the drain maintaining the operation that isn't allowed to operate. And there isn't a damn thing we can do about it.

I salute your efforts and wish you well but you're in for a very rough and long gruelling ride. The FAA has ZERO oversight and ZERO desire to actually do their jobs. Claiming staffing shortage, limited budgets and overwhelming need. Meanwhile when you walk into their office nearly everyone is standing around drinking coffee.

Brokers BTW are like used car salesmen. They tell you what you want to hear. And none of its true. Want real numbers, go talk with other operators. I think you will find that the passenger charter business is a losing battle. In my area 12 charter companies went out of business in 3 years and the remaining 4 are still living paycheck to paycheck.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: JAFO- First Observer

Interesting... Well air carrier certificates are non-transferrable, so I'm wondering how you "bought one"? It might be possible to purchase the underlyng assets of the "business". However, if 100% of the Part 119 management personnel "change hands" all at the same time, then the new team and "owner(s)" must prove they are "fit, willing and able" to conduct operations with the highest level of safety. Thus a "re-certification" process is required.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: And hold

Originally Posted by PerfInit View Post
Interesting... Well air carrier certificates are non-transferrable, so I'm wondering how you "bought one"? It might be possible to purchase the underlyng assets of the "business". However, if 100% of the Part 119 management personnel "change hands" all at the same time, then the new team and "owner(s)" must prove they are "fit, willing and able" to conduct operations with the highest level of safety. Thus a "re-certification" process is required.
Yes, we bought "the company" who had a certificate. Do not need a re-certification. All the new management are significantly more qualified than previous owners. All have 20+ years of 121, 135, and military flight experience.