Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

thefalken,

Shot you a PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: CE-650

Sorry, I was busy watching pitch perfect 3.

We are hiring for 1 LZU copilot. The flyer is up to date. You can send me or AJ the resume. The ideal candidate is the same as previous posts. 700-1000 hours, and lives local to LZU or has ties to the LZU area.

Also, we are searching for 2 captains for RDG. Prefer 2500TT, this has a little wiggle room, but not much. Please send RDG resumes to [email protected]

We only have captain positions open in RDG. There are opportunities to transfer to one of the other bases if the staffing at the current base will allow it and there is a need at the other base.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Someone asked how often we aren't able to make a flight happen. This is very rare. One reason we have not lowered our mins is because we expect our captains to be able to shoot precision and non precision approaches down to mins every night, up to 10 times while single pilot. We have one run with 9 legs in the NE, it does happen once in awhile.

In order to prevent delays or cancellations for our customers, we may reposition the aircraft before an expected storm were to hit so we minimize any delays. We will also use satalite airports and larger class B airports when the weather is low or bad. The dispatchers also work closely with ground logicstics to drive specimens to other locations when we need to adapt. So the chances of an actual cancelled leg is rare due to all the operations in the background.

Our mx is also top notch and we have spare aircraft you can swap into. So departing with a broken airplane or breaking down on the road is rare. I'm in my 5th year and have only had one night I had to get a hotel due to mx issue, bad magneto in a baron.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

The day of a RDG captain. At 4pm all pilots receive a nightly breifing via email of any changes, weather, or special notes. Then depending on the run show time, you show up to the airport around 7pm, 30 min prior to departure, check notams, weather and preflight. Flight plans are already filed. Check with dispatch for any last minute changes. Depart rdg on your scheduled run. You'll pick up anywhere from 50lbs-1000 lbs of specimens at your stops, some stops are pickups, some drop offs, some pick and drop off. You'll return to rdg by 4am after doing 6-9 legs depending on which scheduled run you were assigned. Most paperwork is all done on the iPad, so you send it off to dispatch, verify they received it, and you're driving home about 20 min after returning home.

You will do this 4 times a week with weekends off.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

I cannot find where it was written before but what kind of uniform does the pilot wear?
Old 03-12-2018, 01:21 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2013
Position: B-767 FO

Nomex flight suits are provided and required to be worn when flying. Underneath, that is pretty much up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2018, 04:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by thefalken View Post
Nomex flight suits are provided and required to be worn when flying. Underneath, that is pretty much up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great, thanks for the reply!
Old 03-14-2018, 09:52 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2013
Position: B-767 FO
Default LZU FO Night

FOs would be assigned to one of two runs five days a week:

LBQ850 departs LZU at around 1830 and returns about 0030.

LBQ860 departs LZU 2000 and returns about 0330.

A typical day on the 850 would be arrive around ~1700. Call dispatch to let them know you are there. Check weather / NOTAMS. Check your run sheet which will be waiting on the printer for you to know how many empty specimen bags need to be loaded. If you are on this early run, I believe you'll be in charge of loading each aircraft with the correct number of empty bags. Not a hard task, just roll the mail cart full of bags around to each plane and throw the empties in.

You will depart LZU to ABY. Unload any empties and load the specimens being delivered, being sure to check for correct destination and keeping count. This is a quick turn, then onto DHN. DHN to ECP. There is a short wait for a courier in ECP, then onto PNS. PNS to BFM. BFM back to LZU.

When you return to LZU, a few other routes will also be returning (midnight is a very busy time on the ramp). You'll unload your local specimens to the waiting driver. Using the mail carts, you'll take the remaining bags to the waiting PC12 (out of RDG). Once you help load the outbound PC12, you are done for the night. Call dispatch, check out and check in for your route the next day.

A couple of things to keep in mind, you're being paid for your duty time, not flight time. You know your schedule weeks out. You do your job and go home. No sitting around the airport or staring at hotel walls. Weekends off. Plenty of vacation time. With the known schedule, I think you could easily take on a student or two if you wanted to CFI as well.

I remember a decade ago when young pilots were riding in the Barons and helping sling bags, without pay or benefits, just to network. It may not be the perfect situation, but I think it is a step in the right direction.
Old 04-02-2018, 04:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015
Position: Right Seat

Im working towards this.... i applied back when i only had around 320 hours. But im coming up on 550 now and should be around 700 in the upcoming months
Old 04-07-2018, 08:41 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2014

This may be a stupid question, but why doesn't Quest fly specimens on the West coast? It sounds like a good gig but haven't seen anything like it over here.