Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Time off and 135

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 08:04 AM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
“Who” is not giving you the time off per the regs? It’s not the “company”, it’s an individual acting in name of the company who’s got his own interpretations.
So who is it? The Chief pilot? The DO?
Are they the same person?
If you’re 135 you have a FAA POI.
See if you can get the other pilot to play ball with you, if not go at it alone.
Arm yourself with some documentation and interpretations and go see whomever it is, CP or DO.
Don’t know what state you’re in but record the meeting on your phone.
Ask your CP or DO for an interpretation from the POI. If he refuses then offer to get one yourself.
Don’t threaten (yet) but insist that you would greatly appreciate your POI’s input in this.

Here’s my personal opinion without looking anything up:
This is a common 135 scam.
POI will do a paperwork inspection ( which is always looking back) and see all legal rest.
But they should look forward too, they rarely do.

If this argument gets out of hand and you get fired then get an aviation attorney to contact the FAA to whistleblow on your behalf.
You’ll have a TMAAT story to tell at your airline interview: yes I’ve been fired because I refused to participate in illegal and unsafe practices.
With only two pilots your employer is in a very weak position to threaten.
...and just to add - your training contract isn't worth jack if you get fired because of this.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:55 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
“Who” is not giving you the time off per the regs? It’s not the “company”, it’s an individual acting in name of the company who’s got his own interpretations.
So who is it? The Chief pilot? The DO?
Are they the same person?
If you’re 135 you have a FAA POI.
See if you can get the other pilot to play ball with you, if not go at it alone.
Arm yourself with some documentation and interpretations and go see whomever it is, CP or DO.
Don’t know what state you’re in but record the meeting on your phone.
Ask your CP or DO for an interpretation from the POI. If he refuses then offer to get one yourself.
Don’t threaten (yet) but insist that you would greatly appreciate your POI’s input in this.

Here’s my personal opinion without looking anything up:
This is a common 135 scam.
POI will do a paperwork inspection ( which is always looking back) and see all legal rest.
But they should look forward too, they rarely do.

If this argument gets out of hand and you get fired then get an aviation attorney to contact the FAA to whistleblow on your behalf.
You’ll have a TMAAT story to tell at your airline interview: yes I’ve been fired because I refused to participate in illegal and unsafe practices.
With only two pilots your employer is in a very weak position to threaten.
The who is the DO, as there is no Chief Pilot as the last one quit after about 3 months of service. But it bleeds over to the general corporate culture from the DO, in that when asked about days off, the Flight Followers and HR people will give confused answers like "there aren't any for a 2 pilot crew"

Yeah, this seems par for the course for small 135 operators, which is sad.

Gonna kick this around with the guy I fly with and see if we can bring this up to the DO together. If he balks, then its possible i could have a means to breach my training contract because they are in breach of the FAR's regarding Crew Rest.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: JAFO- First Observer

Who has The Responsibility and Authority to Exercise Operational Control, i/a/w OpSpec A008 and 14 CFR 119 and 135? I will give you a hint, it is NOT the Part 91 Aircraft Owner.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Any 135 that is STILL trying this crap should have their ticket ripped off the wall imo
Old 09-05-2018, 11:01 AM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Any 135 that is STILL trying this crap should have their ticket ripped off the wall imo
Unfortunately the FAA is a blind paper tiger in these cases and many others.
Except when they deal with an airman that made an honest omission on their initial medical application 30 years ago.
Then they act like rabid pit bulls foaming at the mouth.
God bless the FAA.