Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Advice on new hire salary negotiating

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 07:28 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2013
Default Advice on new hire salary negotiating

Good morning,

I was hoping to get a little advice on whether negotiating salary for a new hire at a 135 company exists?

Currently, I am the DOO and lead pilot for a part 91 cooperation on the west coast. We have 3 pilots and fly 2 Piaggio Avanti's. I manage the entirety of the aviation department from maintenance, hangar space, the logistics, business side etc. All transparency, my salary is between the 80-100k mark. I have 1300 hours, so by no means a lot but I thoroughly enjoy my job here and flying the Italian catfish. Building multi turbine time has been a treat. There might be a changeup soon though as my partner recently got offered a job in HI and will most likely take it, which will have us both move to HNL. I know with my time though, I am not going to make the kind of salary I am making currently. I'm seeing most right seaters for 135s in HI make in the 50 to mid 50s. If one was to be offered a job over there, is there any wiggle room/negotiating when it comes to salary or are the numbers pretty much set in stone based on the left vs right seat?

I appreciate any kind of advice on this matter and thank you in advance!

All the best.
Old 04-16-2022, 01:26 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2018

In general, if you’re looking at a company with a seniority based payscale, you can’t really negotiate. A senior PIC at a prestigious company, with a perfect resume that is already typed in an aircraft operated by the company is STILL going to start at year 1 pay as an SIC.

91 ops are typically better about negotiating, just make sure you negotiate a “pay scale” and “days off” and stuff you take for granted elsewhere.
Old 04-16-2022, 01:43 PM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

No bro, they pay what they pay unless they’re the ones approaching you and trying to poach you from your current employer.
No offense but how can you be DO with 1300hrs?