Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Thrive Aviation (KLAS)

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 11:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015
Position: 320/A

Any thoughts/knowledge on how Thrive is for retired 121 folks? I have over half a decade to go, but I'm thinking about getting my ducks in a row. My first step has been to start flying the BD-500 in order to get in touch with domestic operations and smaller airports once again, after a career with 75% or so long-haul international flying. Plus I am getting intimate with Collins Proline Fusion, which I hope would translate well to the bizjet world.

I began my career as a recip twin 135 pilot, cross-utilized as a G-II SIC, so the realities of 135 vs. air carrier are not a mystery to me. After 35+ years in a cushy 121 lifestyle, a move to getting newspapers & coffee, slinging bags, filing flight plans, etc. will be harsh and I "get it," so I'm really only going to look at upper-echelon operations that might have a predictable schedule and home-basing or happen to have a base in KLAS.

If DE Capt. or a few months' upgrade is not a possibility, I'd be leaning toward SIC on a large jet that flies mostly international. I'm not one of those guys that would go out and get type rated on a Gulfstream with my own funds, but I'd consider pursuing a CE 525 type, as I perceive it to be the most versatile rating relative to popular contemporary jets, with the idea of getting some time in type however I can, and then engaging in contract work.

I'm open to hearing about the realities of Thrive and any other post-121 employment strategies. TIA.
zippinbye is online now Report Post
Old 04-27-2022, 03:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

If DE Capt. or a few months' upgrade is not a possibility, I'd be leaning toward SIC on a large jet that flies mostly international.
FYI, if you are 65 or over you are limited to how much international you can do if you are flying Part 135. Asia/Europe/PACOTS/NATS are out. Carib, CA and SA are still possible.

If it's Part 91 (Corporate/Private) age is not a factor.

When you go from 121 directly and get that Unicorn DEC Part 91 job, let us know so we can be envious.

Thrive hires retired 121 people. The CP is one.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:59 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2010
Position: Looking

Originally Posted by Tela View Post
This post absolutely hits it on the head.
Run.
FlyForHire;

Thanks for alerting everyone to the truths underlying the image they attempt to present.

Watch your back.
Don't trust anyone!

Last edited by DesertFalcon; 05-18-2022 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-20-2022, 06:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Cool Don’t pay for ANY type rating now..

Originally Posted by zippinbye View Post
Any thoughts/knowledge on how Thrive is for retired 121 folks? I have over half a decade to go, but I'm thinking about getting my ducks in a row. My first step has been to start flying the BD-500 in order to get in touch with domestic operations and smaller airports once again, after a career with 75% or so long-haul international flying. Plus I am getting intimate with Collins Proline Fusion, which I hope would translate well to the bizjet world.

I began my career as a recip twin 135 pilot, cross-utilized as a G-II SIC, so the realities of 135 vs. air carrier are not a mystery to me. After 35+ years in a cushy 121 lifestyle, a move to getting newspapers & coffee, slinging bags, filing flight plans, etc. will be harsh and I "get it," so I'm really only going to look at upper-echelon operations that might have a predictable schedule and home-basing or happen to have a base in KLAS.

If DE Capt. or a few months' upgrade is not a possibility, I'd be leaning toward SIC on a large jet that flies mostly international. I'm not one of those guys that would go out and get type rated on a Gulfstream with my own funds, but I'd consider pursuing a CE 525 type, as I perceive it to be the most versatile rating relative to popular contemporary jets, with the idea of getting some time in type however I can, and then engaging in contract work.

I'm open to hearing about the realities of Thrive and any other post-121 employment strategies. TIA.
Hey Zipp,

Good luck in your post-Part 121 endeavors, but it is absolutely unnecessary for anyone to pay for ANY type rating in this pilot hiring market.. It’s not 1995 any more, there aren’t 20,000 Legacy, Military, etc. on the street, and therefore, there is no reason for an experienced pilot like yourself to pay for their type rating. It heartens back to the pilot wearing the “Will fly for food” T-shirts of the 1990’s, where todays pilots are like “you better pay me my money!!!”, LOL. Also, it can set up a dangerous precedent where companies are back to “hey, we’ve got pilots willing to pay for their own training again” vs. this is the cost of doing business.

As far as your prospects with International Part 135, the Age 65 ICAO Annex is going to be a problem for you. For example, our Company will not put you in a Gulfstream past age 62. And while there are many Part 91 corporate operations, “predictable schedule” or “home-basing” aren’t words normally found in a Part 91 operator’s vocabulary. There are the Part 91 gigs out there that are the unicorn companies that have the same pilots working there for decades, sadly, they are the exception rather than the rule.

Good luck and don’t waste your money on any type rating!
Old 05-30-2022, 04:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015
Position: B777 CA

Originally Posted by zippinbye View Post

Zippmbye,

My two vents for what it’s worth.

I’m a spoiled legacy Widebody international CA. I have a little more time then you with 8 1/2 years till age 65. I might consider post 121 airline flying with a part 91/135 jet captain flying depending on the pay and QOL at the time.

Something to consider. I believe age 65 has a 50/50 chance of being moved upwards in your career time frame. If not and age 65 stays in place you can be assured the 135/91 jet job market in five years will look nothing like today. With age 65 retirements and 5 more years of a massive pilot shortage and massive legacy and 121 hiring the job market will be far more favorable for former 121 pilots in the 135/91 world then vs today. The supply and demand equation will take care of that. So I think todays realities will look completely different in five years for the better.

Of course that goes without saying this is subject to no catastrophic US or world financial events or other types of catastrophic industry events. Also agree with others never pay for any training or types.

Best of luck.
Old 06-02-2022, 07:09 PM
Wrenching on avionics

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: sitting

Originally Posted by flyforhire View Post
The Chief Pilot seems to care but will turn on a dime if crossed.
Man, isn't that the truth!
Old 06-07-2022, 10:21 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2022

Is there a contract for thrive?
Old 03-31-2023, 11:04 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2020
Position: Boeing 737 CA

Good friend is about to retire 121 and looking at Thrive.

Where do they do training? Is it in house?
Do you get to choose which airplane you fly?
What is the medical insurance like?

He wants to go for a couple years 65-67. Doesn't want too much stress.
Old 04-07-2023, 01:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Originally Posted by Mainline Mulier View Post
Good friend is about to retire 121 and looking at Thrive.

Where do they do training? Is it in house?
Do you get to choose which airplane you fly?
What is the medical insurance like?

He wants to go for a couple years 65-67. Doesn't want too much stress.
LOL! Sorry, not laughing AT you, just at the concept. The 135 world is so tight for planes and pilots, nobody will give a guy looking for “a retirement job” a first glance, let alone second.

Your friend might be able to find a cushy 91 job that fits the bill but it’s kind of a unicorn for retired guys with no history in corporate. In 135? No way.

All IMO, of course.
Old 04-07-2023, 10:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: B777/CA retired

Originally Posted by AA717driver View Post
LOL! Sorry, not laughing AT you, just at the concept. The 135 world is so tight for planes and pilots, nobody will give a guy looking for “a retirement job” a first glance, let alone second.

Your friend might be able to find a cushy 91 job that fits the bill but it’s kind of a unicorn for retired guys with no history in corporate. In 135? No way.

All IMO, of course.
I have two friends that recently retired that are either starting or have started at Thrive. Neither one thinks it will be anything but work but they are looking forward to it.

Part 135 is not for kicking back. Anyone who thinks so will be setting themselves up for failure.