Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 08:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Cool Truth!

Originally Posted by majorpilot View Post
^^^^THIS^^^^^

Increased competition for pilots, greater regulatory scrutiny, and implementation of SMS in 135 will help eradicate the industry of these cockroach operators who exploit pilots, cut corners and endanger the public. No matter how personally painful it may appear, never hesitate to tell these scumbags where to go … no gig is worth your or someone else’s life. And if something ever does happen, rest assured you’re the one they’ll be the first to blame.
Absolutely agree, Major..

But actually, most of the cockroach operators have either changed their ways or were destroyed by Covid-19 and the pilot shortage. Even the last bastions or Low pilot pay, pilot pushing, etc., South FL 135 or YIP operators have been forced to join the 21st century with regard to pilot pay, safety, and legality. Yes, there may be a few scumbag operations left, but they are few and far between as pilots today have so many employment options.. Definitely not like the “do it or you’re fired” Part 135 operators of the 1990’s when they took advantage of the thousands upon thousands of furloughed pilots on the street, including Delta and American furloughees..

But back to the original thread, EJM is a quality operation that does things “right” and is definitely NOT a half a$$ed operation. My friends there love it and recommend that others come to join them.
Old 10-17-2022, 04:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post

The pilot shortage has finally hit the Corporate world, with their pilots leaving for the Majors in droves. I feel that we are finally reaching the “bridge to far” when Coca Cola is advertising for pilots, and the 30+ year grip that the Corporate world is slipping to the point that the are going to actually offer real schedules and even home basing. IMHO…
Coke can’t keep pilots because they’re on call 24/7 flying all over the world. Corporate needs to learn that days off matter. And if you’re scheduled for a day off, KEEP it a day off. Don’t change my “weekend off” to “oh, we need you this weekend” on Thursday night.

I left corporate because of that.
Old 10-18-2022, 07:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by JTwift View Post
Coke can’t keep pilots because they’re on call 24/7 flying all over the world. Corporate needs to learn that days off matter. And if you’re scheduled for a day off, KEEP it a day off. Don’t change my “weekend off” to “oh, we need you this weekend” on Thursday night.

I left corporate because of that.
This, along with work rules, retirement, top end pay, ancillary duties, etc. They got to abuse people for too long, due to the economic environment.
Old 10-18-2022, 02:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2021

There are a few parts to the "we don't hire airline pilots" mantra. Some of it is deserved, some of it is not. I have seen first hand someone retire from the airlines and get into corporate aviation, and not have any clue what they are getting themselves into. Yes, you have to load bags, and file your own flight plan, and clean the airplane. You just landed and the airplane is broken? You can't just pack up and go to the hotel, you need to figure out how to get the airplane fixed, and probably stay there and oversee the work. Some of that comes as a shock to the people that don't do their homework. I have also seen people that are aware of the world they are getting into, and they do just fine. But a few bad apples can leave a bad taste.

The other part is what other posters have alluded to, airlines guys wanting to do things the right way clash with the "wild west" mentality of some departments. If you're one of those operators, you only want to hire one of the good ol' boys, not one of them darn airline types.

What operators are going to have to do is make sure the airline person you are interviewing knows exactly what the job entails. Let them come along on the jumpseat for a few trips. You also have to make sure that you are striving to do things the right way. Straight 91 gives you a lot of leeway when it comes to operations, be sure the prospective new hire realizes this, but also invest time and money in creating a just safety culture, and do things the right way and the safe way.
Old 11-01-2022, 05:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Yes Ma'am, No Ma'am

[QUOTE=Diverb;3511815]what is the rationale behind flight departments not wanting to hire a retired airline pilot? Sure there’s the age but they are coming with a ton of experience and they probably already have health care and that’s an expense of the flight department doesn’t need to pay[/QUOTE

EJM Hires retired airline pilots. The only accounts where a retired 121 pilot isn't a good fit are the accounts that fly a bunch of international.
We have a few accounts that are all retired airline guys.
Thats not EJM's rules, its ICAO.

Fly Safe!
Old 11-02-2022, 12:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Standing in front of the tank with a shopping bag
Question Hey, why don't you guys start an EJM thread?

[QUOTE=flyjbh;3524787]
Originally Posted by Diverb View Post
what is the rationale behind flight departments not wanting to hire a retired airline pilot? Sure there’s the age but they are coming with a ton of experience and they probably already have health care and that’s an expense of the flight department doesn’t need to pay[/QUOTE

EJM Hires retired airline pilots. The only accounts where a retired 121 pilot isn't a good fit are the accounts that fly a bunch of international.
We have a few accounts that are all retired airline guys.
Thats not EJM's rules, its ICAO.

Fly Safe!
Hey JBH,

Why don’t you all start an EJM thread and an actual EJM profile on the profiles page here on APC? It would be great for recruiting and Brand awareness.

Last edited by B727DRVR; 11-02-2022 at 12:35 PM. Reason: More stuff
Old 12-24-2022, 06:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Yes Ma'am, No Ma'am

[QUOTE=B727DRVR;3525303]
Originally Posted by flyjbh View Post

Hey JBH,

Why don’t you all start an EJM thread and an actual EJM profile on the profiles page here on APC? It would be great for recruiting and Brand awareness.
A good question. Since EJM is basically a group of hundreds of separate accounts, we have been fortunate to have a lot of word of mouth candidates available to us. So far, our application numbers are very high, but an info page on EJM could be helpful. Each account is different, so accurate info for one posting could be inaccurate for another. The best way to find out more on EJM, is to ask any friends you have that work here. You have a few friends here, ask away!
Old 12-24-2022, 11:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

[QUOTE=flyjbh;3558892]
Originally Posted by B727DRVR View Post

A good question. Since EJM is basically a group of hundreds of separate accounts, we have been fortunate to have a lot of word of mouth candidates available to us. So far, our application numbers are very high, but an info page on EJM could be helpful. Each account is different, so accurate info for one posting could be inaccurate for another. The best way to find out more on EJM, is to ask any friends you have that work here. You have a few friends here, ask away!
Can one just apply for a job on the EJM page and have several departments take a look at you or is it just the one posting the job?

I’d be interested in a floater position but, I don’t often see them posted.

EJM and Jet are great companies but I have very little insider knowledge.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-25-2022, 06:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Gulfstream Pilot

[QUOTE=AA717driver;3559056]
Originally Posted by flyjbh View Post

Can one just apply for a job on the EJM page and have several departments take a look at you or is it just the one posting the job?

I’d be interested in a floater position but, I don’t often see them posted.

EJM and Jet are great companies but I have very little insider knowledge.

Thanks in advance.
You have to apply individually for the positions posted on the website. The applicants/resumes are not cross referenced for other posted positions.
Old 12-27-2022, 06:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

[QUOTE=Amphibian;3559647]
Originally Posted by AA717driver View Post

You have to apply individually for the positions posted on the website. The applicants/resumes are not cross referenced for other posted positions.
Thanks, Amphibian!

TC