Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Air Cargo Carriers 2022

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2023, 08:03 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: On the quest for 1500

Originally Posted by cfii2007 View Post
I've been asked this once before during a Skpe interview.........so what is the right answer?
Obligatory disclaimer that different people accept different answers, but from the airline pilots I've talked to at the company I currently work as a tech for, you should be direct and up front.

"Sir or Ma'am, I smell alcohol on your breath, and you do not appear ok to fly. Go call scheduling now, and get off this trip, or I will call the chief myself."

again YRMV but I personally do believe that it is the best approach to the situation. and the Chief Pilot in the interview said he really liked my answer.
Old 02-03-2023, 08:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2021

The fact that they discourage or even dislike the answer you SHOULD be giving in that scenario, tells you everything you need to know about said operation. To low time pilots thinking about applying here, just understand that they want to hear the CORRECT answer in airline interviews. Airlines don’t mess around with this. If you show up and you notice the captain has been drinking, said captain ain’t flying. He’s calling out sick. And you’re telling him that. No repercussions.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:59 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: On the quest for 1500

Originally Posted by Cleared4appch View Post
The fact that they discourage or even dislike the answer you SHOULD be giving in that scenario, tells you everything you need to know about said operation. To low time pilots thinking about applying here, just understand that they want to hear the CORRECT answer in airline interviews. Airlines don’t mess around with this. If you show up and you notice the captain has been drinking, said captain ain’t flying. He’s calling out sick. And you’re telling him that. No repercussions.

That's what the CP told me too. He says most often, interviewees say the typical 'pull him off to the side and ask if he's ok' schtick. The only thing that makes sense to me anyway is to address it immediately and directly. pulling them too the side gives them an ability to persuade you otherwise.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Originally Posted by GeneralPilot View Post
That's what the CP told me too. He says most often, interviewees say the typical 'pull him off to the side and ask if he's ok' schtick. The only thing that makes sense to me anyway is to address it immediately and directly. pulling them too the side gives them an ability to persuade you otherwise.
I believe giving an answer similar to this....tell the CA to call in sick, they are not fit to fly. After that, the CP role played and tried to persuade me otherwise....I stood my ground and mentioned calling scheduling to report the CA unfit to fly.

The interview went well....but I did receive the TBNT letter...probably due to not having any turbine time or an ATP.
Old 12-12-2023, 06:51 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2023

Originally Posted by GeneralPilot View Post
My interview was pretty straight forward. A few HR questions (what do you know about ACC? TMAAT, etc), then a few aviation questions from the Chief Pilot (brief a plate, describe the engine system of your most flown aircraft, captain arrives intoxicated what do you do 'hint: its not pulling them aside...')
Was done via teams. Got a welcome to ACC email a couple days later and I'm in their FO pool currently. FO classes are delayed as they needed to prioritize training captains first, like most other airlines right now...
Are you still with the company? How has / was your time with them? Can you provide some insight on what an average work week is like? How many hours do average a year. Would you encourage a me to apply?

Thanks for the help!