Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Air Cargo Carriers 2022

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2022, 06:50 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: On the quest for 1500
Default Air Cargo Carriers 2022

What's the recent goings-on at ACC? Anybody currently there that can shed some light on the company?
From what I've heard its a great first flying job. Night flying mostly but some day routes?

What's the average monthly hours? I'm sure its different per base.

Can you bid Reserve?

Which carriers do they have CASS agreements with?

Do most pilots just use crashpads? The bases are kind of out of the way.

Where are guys going afterwards? Regional? LCC? ACMI?
Old 10-30-2022, 01:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2015
Position: Yes

Curious myself, applied Friday. Hoping to here something back.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:28 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2021
Default ACC

Originally Posted by GeneralPilot View Post
What's the recent goings-on at ACC? Anybody currently there that can shed some light on the company?
From what I've heard its a great first flying job. Night flying mostly but some day routes?

What's the average monthly hours? I'm sure its different per base.
Varies widely from base to base. If you are part of the MKE/SDF system, you can get 80 hrs a month, and more with wx issues. The Columbia, SC looking at maybe 45-50 and PHX is 35ish per mo. The PHX-TUS is a real time killer.

Can you bid Reserve?
There isn't a true reserve bid line, but after training you can kinda hold out on reserve till you get what you want, or the company tells you where you are going. That happened to a newer guy not too long ago and he's now enjoying Augadilla PR.

Which carriers do they have CASS agreements with?
There's a lot, WN, AA, DL, UA (cabin only), and a lot more.

Do most pilots just use crashpads? The bases are kind of out of the way.
Crash pads in most of the bases aren't really a thing since you are out and back every day. You will need a full rental, either room, apartment or cheap hotel. Some of the bases are inexpensive to live, but they lack available properties to rent.

Where are guys going afterwards? Regional? LCC? ACMI?
Everywhere. There's been several who are going to FedEx, Kalitta, Spirit, etc. ACC is indeed every bit as much a regional with the crew environment and type training.
Old 12-15-2022, 01:46 PM
On Reserve

Thanks! Seems like a great place to be.
I hear FO classes are delayed til Spring and that they need Captains.
Old 12-17-2022, 03:43 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2021

Originally Posted by 4Sammich View Post
Everywhere. There's been several who are going to FedEx, Kalitta, Spirit, etc. ACC is indeed every bit as much a regional with the crew environment and type training.
Just so we're clear I think ACC is a decent place.

So here we go.

Aint nobody going from ACC to fed ex. Yes. There was one guy back in the 00s. He did. What everyone forgets to mention is that he was a fighter pilot prior. So I don't think it was the SD3 type that helped him. Since I left ACC in the last 10 years I haven't heard of a single ACC pilot going straight to fedex or UPS without going to an ACMI first. All these candidates either became ACMI PICs or had management experience or had family at the company they were hired at.

ACC is not every bit as a regional. Crew yes. Type yes. (a nice conversation piece at recurrent). Even Providing cargo lift the same way a regional provides regional lift is the same.

But:
1)Most dispatchers at ACC don't have a dispatcher's certificate. They are 135 flight followers.
2)You do not fly pressured aircraft. So you don't get any experience in the Flight levels.
3)The SD360s don't have FMCs or autopilots so you don't learn that aspect of modern jets.
4)The benefits and pay at ACC aren't as good as a regional these days
5)There's no Union. (Can be a pro or a con)
6)Commuting is highly discouraged and often not possible. No flights to Danville/ SBO/BKW (If you bring it up in your interview it will hurt you. I promise you)
7) The job is significantly tougher on you than flying RJs. If you can handle it - great. (No APU, cold winters, slow props in icing, long night backside of the clock flying)
8) Not everyone gets a sweet schedule. Some people get a week off every 2-3 work weeks. But the moment the company is short on pilots prepare to work all the time. Makes having a life pretty tough.
9) Planes are old. The rumors about jets and Dorniers or whatever are decades old.

Good things about ACC
1) Solid IFR experience
2) CAs make good money
3) Upgrade is merit & seniority based (They won't upgrade an *********)
4) If you hate winter, Caribbean is very nice.
5) You can get in at 250 hrs and start making good $$$ quick if you're a hard worker and willing to play ball.
6) You can work with management most of the time, however I've seen them do bad things to good people.
7) CASS and KCM.

Where do people go? Spirit, Frontier, Jet Blue.
ACC is not a bad company. It's a great start. It's a great place to work if you live in SJU or in one of the outstations.
But lets call a spade a spade.
Old 12-17-2022, 05:52 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2022
Smile FO hirings 2023

Would really like to know when FO hirings would resume. Any insight would be great!
Old 01-03-2023, 07:03 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2021
Position: Nunya Business

Would anyone whose recently been through their interview process like to shed some light on it? Just trying to get prepared for it. Thanks!
Old 01-04-2023, 12:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by FlannelDaddy View Post
Just so we're clear I think ACC is a decent place.

So here we go.

Aint nobody going from ACC to fed ex. Yes. There was one guy back in the 00s. He did. What everyone forgets to mention is that he was a fighter pilot prior. So I don't think it was the SD3 type that helped him. Since I left ACC in the last 10 years I haven't heard of a single ACC pilot going straight to fedex or UPS without going to an ACMI first. All these candidates either became ACMI PICs or had management experience or had family at the company they were hired at.

ACC is not every bit as a regional. Crew yes. Type yes. (a nice conversation piece at recurrent). Even Providing cargo lift the same way a regional provides regional lift is the same.

But:
1)Most dispatchers at ACC don't have a dispatcher's certificate. They are 135 flight followers.
2)You do not fly pressured aircraft. So you don't get any experience in the Flight levels.
3)The SD360s don't have FMCs or autopilots so you don't learn that aspect of modern jets.
4)The benefits and pay at ACC aren't as good as a regional these days
5)There's no Union. (Can be a pro or a con)
6)Commuting is highly discouraged and often not possible. No flights to Danville/ SBO/BKW (If you bring it up in your interview it will hurt you. I promise you)
7) The job is significantly tougher on you than flying RJs. If you can handle it - great. (No APU, cold winters, slow props in icing, long night backside of the clock flying)
8) Not everyone gets a sweet schedule. Some people get a week off every 2-3 work weeks. But the moment the company is short on pilots prepare to work all the time. Makes having a life pretty tough.
9) Planes are old. The rumors about jets and Dorniers or whatever are decades old.

Good things about ACC
1) Solid IFR experience
2) CAs make good money
3) Upgrade is merit & seniority based (They won't upgrade an *********)
4) If you hate winter, Caribbean is very nice.
5) You can get in at 250 hrs and start making good $$$ quick if you're a hard worker and willing to play ball.
6) You can work with management most of the time, however I've seen them do bad things to good people.
7) CASS and KCM.

Where do people go? Spirit, Frontier, Jet Blue.
ACC is not a bad company. It's a great start. It's a great place to work if you live in SJU or in one of the outstations.
But lets call a spade a spade.
Touchè. Moment there’s a downturn they’ll be back to their old ways. Job was always nicer when you were a refuelling stop away from MKE. The job will definitely teach one to cover one’s backside, but largely an irrelevant career stop these days THANK GOD.
Old 02-03-2023, 06:20 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by KermitFlyer View Post
Would anyone whose recently been through their interview process like to shed some light on it? Just trying to get prepared for it. Thanks!
My interview was pretty straight forward. A few HR questions (what do you know about ACC? TMAAT, etc), then a few aviation questions from the Chief Pilot (brief a plate, describe the engine system of your most flown aircraft, captain arrives intoxicated what do you do 'hint: its not pulling them aside...')
Was done via teams. Got a welcome to ACC email a couple days later and I'm in their FO pool currently. FO classes are delayed as they needed to prioritize training captains first, like most other airlines right now...
Old 02-03-2023, 06:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Originally Posted by GeneralPilot View Post
My interview was pretty straight forward. A few HR questions (what do you know about ACC? TMAAT, etc), then a few aviation questions from the Chief Pilot (brief a plate, describe the engine system of your most flown aircraft, captain arrives intoxicated what do you do 'hint: its not pulling them aside...')
Was done via teams. Got a welcome to ACC email a couple days later and I'm in their FO pool currently. FO classes are delayed as they needed to prioritize training captains first, like most other airlines right now...
I've been asked this once before during a Skpe interview.........so what is the right answer?