Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

FAA coming after JSX

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2023, 06:02 AM
Mmmm wine

Joined APC: Feb 2020
Position: A220 FO

Originally Posted by Stratoliner View Post
JSX is absolutely exploiting the regulations in a way which contradicts the spirit of the regulation. If you go on the internet and search a route you want to travel, you see JSX. You can see a calendar with a timetable, and buy a ticket for a JSX flight in the future which is scheduled to happen whether you go or not. That is scheduled service. Now, the 135 exemption exists for the typical Caravan, King Air, and Pilatus operators that typically go to very small, rural areas, often under EAS contract; these aircraft are usually 9 seats or less. Cape Air is a perfect example, as are similar operations in Alaska. These airlines do not compete with scheduled 121 air carriers and are not in the same business. The exemption exists precisely to allow for scheduled service to tiny markets where 121 rules would make commercial operation not feasible. This isn't the business JSX is in. JSX takes the 50-seat Embraer 145 and seats 30 in it, because 30 seats is the limit of the exemption. JSX doesn't serve small markets off the beaten path (there's a few EAS-type exceptions), they provide scheduled service to established markets. Sure places like Lajitas are EAS-type flying, but don't act like Westchester, Concord, and Opa-Locka aren't scheduled service to NY Metro, Napa Valley, and Miami. Now I'm not mad at JSX for taking advantage of this, it's enterprising activity and good for them. But from the FAA's perspective, it is unfair to 121 operators to allow an airplane to operate as a scheduled air carrier using Transport Category jets to (mostly) competitive cities without following the same rules.

You may like the service, or think that 121 rules should be changed, but to argue that JSX isn't taking advantage of a loophole is disingenuous. Not only do they get to compete directly with 121 carriers without the accompanying rules, costs, and restrictions, but they get to market their regulatory advantage as a 'luxury' service.
This is extremely well said.

Selling the idea of "flying on a private jet" which is simply a regional airliner that is scheduled to fly routes that ANYONE can book, sounds like scheduled airline service to me. It is a super cute way to skirt regs but what JSX is doing is absolutely not in the spirit of the regulations. It will be fine until it isn't. If JSX has any accident, it is all over. The optics of an airline skirting regs to get around hiring piots that the rest of the industry is required to hire will be troubling to the public who has no idea...
Old 11-01-2023, 06:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
I am not a "boomer." I am in favor of raising the mandatory retirement age. I am in favor of bringing JSX, et al, in line with the appropriate Part 121 regulations.
#identifiesasboomer
Old 11-01-2023, 07:25 AM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by Gspeed View Post
#identifiesasboomer
You think that's an insult, don't you?

You think that's intelligent, don't you?

You think that constitutes a reply, or a complete sentence, don't you?

It's become an insult du jour to refer to someone as a "boomer" to suggest that they're old, or out of touch, or not progressive, and yet those who say it don't seem to understand what constitutes a "baby boomer," which I am not. Neither am I out of touch, though I do speak in complete sentences. It's an attempted insult applied to those who don't agree, and as such, is a week substitute for rational thought or intelligence.

JSX has grown beyond the bounds of its provision. If it continues to operate, then it should do so as a supplemental carrier or stake down a scheduled 121 certification, but it's not longer anything that resembles a 135 operation. One can't stay in kindergarten forever.
Old 11-01-2023, 07:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

You think that's an insult, don't you?

You think that's intelligent, don't you?

You think that constitutes a reply, or a complete sentence, don't you?

It's become an insult du jour to refer to someone as a "boomer" to suggest that they're old, or out of touch, or not progressive, and yet those who say it don't seem to understand what constitutes a "baby boomer," which I am not. Neither am I out of touch, though I do speak in complete sentences. It's an attempted insult applied to those who don't agree, and as such, is a week substitute for rational thought or intelligence.

JSX has grown beyond the bounds of its provision. If it continues to operate, then it should do so as a supplemental carrier or stake down a scheduled 121 certification, but it's not longer anything that resembles a 135 operation. One can't stay in kindergarten forever.
You sound offended.
#ouchie
Old 11-01-2023, 07:59 AM

You sound offended.
#ouchie
I'm not offended. You sound like an idiot.

An idiot who lacks the ability to contribute to the thread.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

I'm not offended. You sound like an idiot.

An idiot who lacks the ability to contribute to the thread.
Whammy! You hurt me good!
Old 11-01-2023, 08:14 AM

This message is hidden because Gspeed is on your ignore list
The signal-to-noise ratio has marginally improved.
Old 11-01-2023, 08:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

The signal-to-noise ratio has marginally improved.
A boomer-wannabe and a quitter?
Old 11-01-2023, 10:18 AM
Gets Everyday Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016
Position: Relaxed

Just remember, boomers invented PCs, laptops, iPads, phones, the internet, etc.