Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight

Old 06-15-2010, 02:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat
Thumbs up

I think Oldog knows what he's talking about.

Last edited by freightdog; 06-15-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: Frieght Dog
Default Any news?

Anything happening in the new-hire dept. over at amflight lately? Website still says last new-hire class suspended etc. Last rumors I heard were the guys who were in the class will get called back late summer... This accurate (as best your crystal ball can discern)? I was talking with a former amflight pilot and he suggested i give the asst. Chief a call via dispatch (which he gave me the number) and chat with him. I've considered it but opted not to thinking "why pester the guy". Now reconsidering. Could this be a constructive way to getting an edge? Is this common practice (been out of the job hunting market for awhile)? Thanks...
Old 06-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: 747 Captain, retired
Default Ameriflight

Originally Posted by verticalspeed View Post
Thinking of going to work for Ameriflight. I'm currently employed by a 135 Canyon tour operator flying 402's. Can anybody give me an idea of what it's like working for the company. Do their aircraft have autopilots? What is a typical day like? Thanks
I worked for Ameriflight for 9 years. I look back on my time there fondly. They do not have a seniority list and at the time I worked there, brown-nosers and good looking women jumped ahead of the very informal seniority system. Their equipment is maintained, in my opinion, in acceptable condition and you will build time fast. Most of the equipment is Single-Pilot crewed and as the Director of Training used to say: "Ameriflight is like a self-cleaning oven". In other words, You make a bad decision and you die - which happened 3 times while I was there. There were some deaths after I left- one mechanical and one ATC mistake and one guy fell asleep.
If you are reliable and don't damage the airplane, you will get along well at Ameriflight.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by Petethedog View Post
Anything happening in the new-hire dept. over at amflight lately? Website still says last new-hire class suspended etc. Last rumors I heard were the guys who were in the class will get called back late summer... This accurate (as best your crystal ball can discern)? I was talking with a former amflight pilot and he suggested i give the asst. Chief a call via dispatch (which he gave me the number) and chat with him. I've considered it but opted not to thinking "why pester the guy". Now reconsidering. Could this be a constructive way to getting an edge? Is this common practice (been out of the job hunting market for awhile)? Thanks...
Calling the ACP or CP about hiring or potential hiring while there's guys on the street, isn't exactly the best practice. Especially since you don't know the guy. I'd wait until the pilots sent hom from class are recalled. Once that happens send in your resume wait a few weeks then start making phone calls.
Just my .02
Old 07-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Line Holder

Position: PA31 Cptn
Default recalls

Good News! There is movement! The first recall has taken place and it looks like they expect others to slowly get called back. If anyone has any info as to what bases are running short on pilots or where there are pilots upgrading from and leaving open chieftain spots let us know!
Old 07-02-2010, 04:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by find a way View Post
Good News! There is movement! The first recall has taken place and it looks like they expect others to slowly get called back. If anyone has any info as to what bases are running short on pilots or where there are pilots upgrading from and leaving open chieftain spots let us know!

A new hire will VERY likely get Oakland or Portland...
Old 07-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Part Time

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Chief Pilot PC-12NG

We finally had a BE99 bid open up in upstate NY for an outstation. It's been the first bid since March, and let me tell you that people were starting to get restless. We've had 2 pilots leave within the past week in PDX. So as of right now, PDX is short one pilot before the recalled pilot arrives. Besides that I'm not sure what's going on at the other bases. We just have a lot of senior frustrated pilots that can't upgrade to turbine because there's no new business.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Question

I'm wondering how long had those two pilots (that recently left PDX) been waiting for their upgrades? How many pilots does Ameriflight have based in PDX, and OAK and what is the average length of tenure in those junior bases at the present?
Old 07-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2009
Position: PT Inbound

The two pilots who left PDX have left the company. The last round of bids for BE99 upgrades took two pilots from PDX to the BE99 (one in Omaha, NE, and the other, an outstation of PDX in Redmond, OR) back in March. They actually won the bid in Feb but finally went to BE99 School in March. Both had been with the company for less than 6 months.

Another pilot left PDX about 8 months ago for for a dual qual BE99/PA31 in Seattle after about 6 months with the company. Other than that, the rest are either here to stay or are too junior to move on yet.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Fly Boy Knight View Post
The two pilots who left PDX have left the company. The last round of bids for BE99 upgrades took two pilots from PDX to the BE99 (one in Omaha, NE, and the other, an outstation of PDX in Redmond, OR) back in March. They actually won the bid in Feb but finally went to BE99 School in March. Both had been with the company for less than 6 months.

Another pilot left PDX about 8 months ago for for a dual qual BE99/PA31 in Seattle after about 6 months with the company. Other than that, the rest are either here to stay or are too junior to move on yet.
Why would anyone want to leave AMF for the regionals??? AMF is a place to stay to transistion into Majors, Corporate, AirMed and others but not the regionals...