Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Miller-Aviation Info?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 01:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Talking Miller-Aviation Info?

Anyone have info. on Miller Aviation out of Portland, IN? Ewfflyer, I think I read you worked there.
What kind of schedule did you have?
Did it pay decent?
Did you have to live in IN?
Was it all back of the clock like Airnet?

Thanks!
Old 12-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Yeah I worked there for a little over a year and a half. Avg about 100hrs/mo. Operation has 11 C-310's(9 R-models, a "P" and a "Q"), a C-421C, and a C-404 Pay is graduated and actually not bad for living expense, $14k during training, $27k as soon as you pass your check-ride. Unfortunetly due to the size of the operation, he's not able to offer any benefits, but honestly most pilots move on after their year expires anyways, most benefits plans don't do much for you by then anyways. Plan on a 6-month raise also.

They fly all hours, all things, and expect to be in the 310 the first 12 months. I was about to go into the 421, but got my new job before the check-ride. They have several "bank-runs" that we(I say we because I still am in good graces with everyone, and still feel very strongly about my time there etc..) do 5 nights a week. Lots of dead-legs as all the planes are based out of PLD, unless you want to pay hanger rent yourself, and you have a place that's either at, or enroute to a regular route. So pretty much you need to live in/around Portland. Muncie is just down the road if you are the type that "needs something to do," but I grew up in this area, so I was very content on where I was at living arrangement-wise.

There are also passenger trips during the day we do using both the 310's and the 421. Probably starting out you won't get those until you get a month or so under your belt. 1-2 on standby duty most days, including afternoon-ish hours and evening(I always went home by 2am if no one called), pending how busy the prior night was, to be available for whatever pop's up. This is the all out unscheduled portion of the job(The bank-runs fall under unscheduled 135 btw, because it's contract work, not open agreement stuff), so if you're on stby, expect the unexpected.

If you have interviewed, going to, or accepted a job, feel free to PM me your number, I'll give you a call and we can chat. I probably forgot something or other, so I can hopefully answer you better at that time.

Erik