Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Air Cargo Carriers Inc. Info

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 10:39 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Default Air Cargo Carriers Inc. Info

Is anyone out there currently flying for Air Cargo Carriers?
Any general info is appreciated.
My time 575/149
Thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: CE-650

Just do a search for Air Cargo Carriers, and you'll see some good info on here.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: MD11 FO

Check out the posts in the 121 cargo forum. For some reason even though ACC is FAR 135 it ended up over their. It has alot of good info. Maybe the Mods could move it or show it in both.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Originally Posted by grizzz View Post
Is anyone out there currently flying for Air Cargo Carriers?
Any general info is appreciated.
My time 575/149
Thanks
DONT COME HERE. I am an FO and have been here 3 months. Unless you can't go anywhere else, don't come here. High attrition and it's for a reason.

If your still interested in ACC give me a private message. I will answer any questions and give you specifics.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:13 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2007

What would you do to change ACC, is it equipment, routes, bases, pay? Sorry to play 20 question's but your there I'm not, (YET)
Old 03-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: CE-650

I put in my application a couple weeks ago, and i thought it was good, i'm interested to see what bgmann has to say.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:47 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2006

If your interested on the jist at ACC PM me, I will copy and paste the info I have.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Yes & Yes!

Originally Posted by bgmann View Post
DONT COME HERE. I am an FO and have been here 3 months. Unless you can't go anywhere else, don't come here. High attrition and it's for a reason.

If your still interested in ACC give me a private message. I will answer any questions and give you specifics.
bgmann might be a little disenchanted with ACC right now. I'm flying for them currently, bgmann is right in warning you about being careful this is the type of flying you want to do, but it can be an ok first job for some.

The equipment is all Shorts SD3-30's and SD3-60's. They are 1980's era aircraft with very basic avionics and comms, no auto pilot, not very comfortable to fly in the winter months in the cold or wet. They are turbine ME so you are building that time and upgrade can be as soon as or close to you getting 1200 hours depending on company need (as bgmann says due to attrition). The company makes everyone sign a one year $7500 training contract. They are not likely to let that go if you leave after a few months...will send you to collections to collect the debt from what I have heard. Routes are pretty much given based on seniority, so when you are new, you are likely to get a base you do not want such as Charleston, WV or Beckley,WV (these two locations seem to be our junior F/O slots). A night typically starts at your base, loading the plane(we are a feeder for two companies, UPS & DHL. DHL loads the plane on their routes. We help load/unload on UPS routes at the outstation bases) flying inbound to the sort(SDF or CAE) waiting for the unload, sort, and reload, flying back to base. We get paid a base salary, so block time, flight time, duty time does not play into the equation. Most crews on UPS runs see duty times of 12 hours or more a night. The night schedule can be hard to get used to, it has for me.

If you want more info let me know. Hope this helps as well.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Originally Posted by bgmann View Post

Flying for ACC and night freight is not cushy flying by any means, but what exactly is the huge problem with ACC?

I hope you didn't go there expecting it to be cushy.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Default Sissies need not apply.

As with everything in life, there are many points of view on the same issue. When making a decision on your future (and even more so for a future in aviation) its best to be informed and know the facts about a course of action, before making that decision.

It seems to be the above poster, didn't really do his research to know what he was getting into before he applied at ACC and now finds (shock horror) that the position isn't all beer and skittles. I applaud anyone who changes their situation if they are unhappy about it, but really doesn't it seem odd to only work somewhere for such a short time, if you knew what you were getting yourself into?

Night Freight isn't for everyone. There very well may be loading involved, being up when you should be asleep, flying old equipment... the list goes on. There are scheduled runs that only fly during the daytime however and like any company you have the chance to bid for them.

Saying that, one gets the opportunity to hand fly a transport category aeroplane in quite diverse weather patters, upgrade to PIC of >12.5k lb aircraft quicker than other routes and really hone your decision making skills. This type of flying will make you a better pilot, and for those out there that still enjoying manipulating the controls instead of babysitting an autopilot i urge them to give it a go. The shiny jets will still be there in a year or two.