Night Cargo Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:51 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Fokker Dr.I triplane
Arrow Night Cargo Suggestion

Hello there,
I am facing a struggling decision. I have been unemployed for quite some time now, in that I had to finish my degree and flight training. I was able to gather a shy 300hrs tt and about 120hr multi. I am not sure I am cut for teaching (although I am almost done with the CFI course) and I cant afford the completion of the CFI course. I applied to the regionals about 10 days ago but nobody answer (for obvious reasons I suppose). I also applied at airnet but I dnt want to sign a 2+ years contract and get SIC in a baron.

To make a long story short, I heard about night cargo in small planes, flying checks, and I was wondering if anybody as any information regarding. I live near BWI in MD. I really appriciate your help. PM welcome

Baron
Old 02-29-2008, 05:39 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

You will really be in a tight spot, because 99% of the freight operators need you to satisfy the Part 135 IFR requirements, which are 1200TT, 500X-C(airport-airport), 100 night, and 75 inst(combined simulated/actual, and max of 25simulator towards the 75). So as far as jobs, maybe in the area you're in a Traffic watch job, banner tow, sky-dive, etc if you don't want your CFI.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

You'll probably have an easier time getting on with a regional than with a 135 operator with those times. Air Cargo Carriers might hire you to sic in the shorts though. The Airnet SIC thing isn't that bad I had to do it. You get paid for something most people charge for. Its not a lot but you can survive on it even with loans and other bills and rent you just wont be putting any away. Other than that pretty much everyone wants 135 mins. I think I saw AMF has a similar sic type program maybe check them out as well.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:07 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Fokker Dr.I triplane

Is it normal that regionals take 2 or more weeks to answer back?

thanks for your help guys
Old 02-29-2008, 09:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

I'd say get current, if your not already, and apply to anyone and everyone. Keep your chin up, many have been there before and gotten through the dark times.... builds character and something to talk about when you interview later on.

Air Cargo Carriers, callsign "Night Cargo", hire around your times but you may need an internal rec with less than 500. Still, you never know. Oh and 1yr contract, which you may not like but your kind of desperate, no?

Last edited by SD3FR8DOG; 02-29-2008 at 09:03 AM. Reason: add. info
Old 02-29-2008, 09:49 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Originally Posted by redbaron View Post

I would say chillllllll man. I don't have a good answer for that, this isn't the regional forum, but I'd say 2weeks is a minimum contact time, unless they are desperate. Things will happen, just give them some time. I'd definately say get current, that can/will hurt you.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Spartan

Hello there,
I am facing a struggling decision. I have been unemployed for quite some time now, in that I had to finish my degree and flight training. I was able to gather a shy 300hrs tt and about 120hr multi. I am not sure I am cut for teaching (although I am almost done with the CFI course) and I cant afford the completion of the CFI course. I applied to the regionals about 10 days ago but nobody answer (for obvious reasons I suppose). I also applied at airnet but I dnt want to sign a 2+ years contract and get SIC in a baron.

To make a long story short, I heard about night cargo in small planes, flying checks, and I was wondering if anybody as any information regarding. I live near BWI in MD. I really appriciate your help. PM welcome

Baron
You don't have the hours yet but flying night freight with 300tt is a sure way to kill yourself. Get your CFI, tow banners, jumpers, etc. It's called gaining experience and paying your dues. Expecting a company to call back within two weeks is not realistic , especially with your hours. So in the mean time, do something to enhance your resume.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Captain

Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
You will really be in a tight spot, because 99% of the freight operators need you to satisfy the Part 135 IFR requirements, which are 1200TT, 500X-C(airport-airport), 100 night, and 75 inst(combined simulated/actual, and max of 25simulator towards the 75). So as far as jobs, maybe in the area you're in a Traffic watch job, banner tow, sky-dive, etc if you don't want your CFI.
This is a VERY common misconception. I'd say that aside from the check haulers, the majority of freight is now flown in 2 crew A/C. Which you only need a commercial cert. to fly as SIC. Alot of your freight is flown in A/C like Lear Jets, Falcon 20's, Convairs, DC-9's, etc. The company I work for is one of the few operators out there still running small piston twins in charter freight, or on demand as it's know. Also with on demand it's not necessarily "night freight". Yes you'll get a fair amount of time flying at night, but it's not a purely night job. Last year about 50% of my flight time was at night. Check into some of the on demand operators. Though if you can get on with a regional I'd recomend that route over freight.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:13 PM

Joined APC: Dec 2007

I was current 121, with 1800TT/1000ME and it took RAH 2 weeks to call me, with a internal rec.

Keep flying, TSA and Go Jet (wouldn't go there if they did call) might call you after they have interviewed everyone who meets their mins.

PDT hires at roughly 400/50, but be ready to lock it down in training, as the dash is a complicated (but incredible) airplane. Training anywhere is intense, but PDT favors the high end of that scale.

Teach, tow banners, drop jumpers, or ride the right seat of a 135 op. We all had to do it, such is the manner of this industry.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:55 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: ATP, CFII, MEI, Chief Flight Instructor, Charter Captain CE402, CE421, BE58

Get your CFI, and do some of the other things the guys are suggesting. When you teach you learn a ton. As far as freight...I did it when I had the 135 hours and it was great experience (weather and ifr) for a year and a half and cranked out 1600 hours and got a real job (kinda). If you want to go the regional route, expect to sit right seat for several years and working a shi*** schedule. Any way you slice it, it's about paying your dues. Throughout my flight training I was working the line pumping gas AND networking. That has turned out to be one of the best things I could have done. Good luck to you.