Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Leasing VLJs

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 06:12 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Default Leasing VLJs

Hi,

Is it possible for a group of investors to use a leasing company to acquire a few VLJs for a charter operation? In other words, we doubt that we can afford to buy them outright so we would consider leasing or renting. I understand that the majors lease a lot of their equipment, but is this practice common for small 135s, charters, small airlines, etc. ?

This is my first post so if I am in the wrong place for this question, please advise.

Any advice on this topic is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2008, 11:37 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2008

There are a lot of owners of small-large biz jets that allow 135 charter ops to put them on their ticket. As far as VLJ's it might be harder to find owners that would want that since they are so inexpensive (relatively) and might want the aircraft all to themselves. I also highly doubt that the VLJ companies themselves are leasing any aircraft right now because pretty much every one has been bought outright for the next 5 years of production. I think it will be hard to lease a VLJ in the near future until the market is "saturated" with them. Like I said before your best bet is to find some owners that want to lease them to you on your 135 certificate. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Originally Posted by Redbaron63 View Post
Hi,

Is it possible for a group of investors to use a leasing company to acquire a few VLJs for a charter operation? In other words, we doubt that we can afford to buy them outright so we would consider leasing or renting. I understand that the majors lease a lot of their equipment, but is this practice common for small 135s, charters, small airlines, etc. ?

This is my first post so if I am in the wrong place for this question, please advise.

Any advice on this topic is appreciated.

Thanks
Leasing a VLJ to a charter company WILL NOT make you money. The charter world is very competitive. Charter companies have to keep costs as low as possible. The best method for this is to lease a jet from a private owner that is only looking to reduce his/her costs. This means the owner of the aircraft WILL NOT make money from the deal. The benefits to the owner are cheaper insurance, free hangar space and pilots on demand rather than on the payroll. The negatives are quicker depreciation, more maintenance and less availability.

In my opinion, you will not find a charter company that is willing to lease a VLJ from you at a price that will allow you to make money.