Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

SIC time question.......Sorta

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Default SIC time question.......Sorta

Ok, before the flaming, ranting, fighting begins let me explain the situation. I have read many of the threads relating to this "type" of question, but need some further input/calrification.

I have a potential offer for a "internship"(for lack of a better term) with a company that flies a King Air 350, single pilot, usually part 91. The internship would include a PIC type rating in the A/C in exchange for one year of service w/o pay except for travel expenses(ie hotel, meals, etc) with a conditional offer as a relief pilot after the year. This would probably turn into a full-time gig when the current pilot retires (3-5 yrs).

OK now the question(s):
1. If the flights are being flown 91, and we alternate legs, whoever is PF should be able to log PIC. Correct?

2. If I am acting as PIC(PF) but am receiving "training" that would/could be logged as dual received/PIC. Correct?

3. Is only way to log SIC time in this scenario is if the company requires one in an ops man flying under part 135? Is there any way to log SIC time under part 91? Must the other pilots type have the "second in command required" limitation for either 91 or 135 ops? Not that I really care about SIC time, but it would be nice to be able to legally log as much time as possible.

4. Would you do a deal like this? (I have a full-time job that would afford me the opportunity to do this and make 90 +% of the trips, so the no pay isn't really an issue.)

Thanks in advance for you thoughts.

Zoinks
Old 06-10-2008, 04:35 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

1. Only after you have recieved your type-rating may you log those legs, and yes they must be Part 91

2. You could log it as dual/PIC. Since you probably need experience with the aircraft. Now once again, you must already have the Type-Rating in this case. Otherwise just straight dual-given.

3. The company ops specs under 135 must require an SIC, or they have an approved SIC program and it's in writing for you to log it as such. I would log it as total time personally, not SIC

4. As long as you feel you're winning here. Is there anyway you can get it all in writing? Are you getting the type-rating at the beggining, or after a year? I know it's "intern," but there's another thread about someone being an "intern" and basically being taken advantage of. My understanding is at least that this type is being paid by the company, not you. Are they at least covering your expenses on the road?
Old 06-10-2008, 05:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: Left seat

To expand upon what Ewfflyer said:

3) I don't think there's any way you can log SIC in a B350 pt. 91.

4) Probably not. They need a pilot, they should pay for one.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:44 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
4. As long as you feel you're winning here. Is there anyway you can get it all in writing? Are you getting the type-rating at the beggining, or after a year? I know it's "intern," but there's another thread about someone being an "intern" and basically being taken advantage of. My understanding is at least that this type is being paid by the company, not you. Are they at least covering your expenses on the road?
Yes, I have seen and have a working copy of the "contract" and I would be getting the type up front, which is being paid for by them.

I guess there are a few items I left out. I have known these folks for quite some time. I provided primary flight training for two of the owners kids in the past. The way I look at it is they are doing me a bit of a favor, with the potential of future full-time employment at some point down the road.

EW, to clarifiy you feel that I would be able to log all the time I'm PF and/or receivind dual would/should be logged as PIC. Mind you I have no desire what so ever to go the airline route, so I'm not chasing turbine time for that purpose. I just want to be legal and have accepted time in my book if I were to try and go the corp or frac route.

Thanks again
Zoinks
Old 06-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2006

I guess if you like doing a job that a sack of old moldy potatoes could do... for free to boot.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:25 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by towhook View Post
I guess if you like doing a job that a sack of old moldy potatoes could do... for free to boot.

eeehhhhhhhhhhh, silly me I thought it might be a good way to get some turbine exp., a type(albeit not that big of a deal I guess) and possibly a job in the future.

[INSERT SARCASM]
Thank you so much for enlightening me, I now see the error of my ways, thank you, thank you, thank you.
[END SARCASM]

Zoinks
Old 06-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007

It would be very wrong to take it. There are jobs out there. Stab your fellow pilots in the back like that and it might hurt more than help.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:59 PM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
It would be very wrong to take it. There are jobs out there. Stab your fellow pilots in the back like that and it might hurt more than help.
Yes and no.......this is obviously a position that isn't needed, and sounds like it's being "offered" because Zoink's has proven himself in the past. This is definately an opportunity that could open some doors for him in the future if he choses not to stay with these guys, but honestly if they're treating him this good already, go for it. I do hope that after you build appreciable time that they do start paying you. You never did mention your TT, but I assume it's low????

I don't blame you on non-airline, I've been able to avoid them and union flying myself. It's just not for me.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:24 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: One of Power

I don't blame you on non-airline, I've been able to avoid them and union flying myself. It's just not for me.
I have too, but I still manage to get a paycheck out of it. Flying for free in return for a type is a lousy excuse. If you still live at home with mom and dad and have no respect for yourself, aviation and the time and money everyone has spent to get to where they are then by all means go for it. Once you step over the line of "flying for free" whats next? It's on the same par as an RJ course to get an interview. It's just not necessary.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:03 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Merky View Post
Flying for free in return for a type is a lousy excuse. If you still live at home with mom and dad and have no respect for yourself, aviation and the time and money everyone has spent to get to where they are then by all means go for it.
Perhaps I didn't make myslef clear in my initial post. I have a full-time flying job currently(it even comes with a paycheck) with a "sister" company of the one the offer is comming from.

I am currently working in a locale with a lot of "oil industry" companies. If you know anything about this you know it is even more of a "good 'ol boy" world than aviation.

Thanks to all of you for your advise/input. I was just thinking that this may be a good way to advance my skills/employablity in the future. I can and do understand some of the points people have made, on the flip side I am confused by some of the reactions, chalk it up to naivety perhaps. Again thanks to all that have responded.

You never did mention your TT, but I assume it's low????
Ah yes, I failed to mention this as well.

TT-2200 / PIC-2000 / MEL-850 / Turbine-250, give or take on all times
ME experience - Cessna 310, 414, 421 / Piper Seneca, Navajo, Cheyenne / Beech Baron, KA90

Thanks again all. And please keep the ideas/comment/suggestions coming.

Zoinks