Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Avjet out of BUR

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Space Shuttle PIC
Default Avjet out of BUR

What's the latest with Avjet out of BUR? I hear they have added some new airplanes including a G150 and a few G-Whizzes. Do you need time in type to be hired? I have also heard that the pilot schedule can be difficult with limited time off. Is that still the case?

What's the latest news - more hiring? Any impressions of the place (good or bad) welcome...

PMs welcome too.
Old 08-13-2008, 11:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: 320 F.O.

I worked there for 2 years and I have to say hands down it is the best on demand 135 charter company I have ever been afiliated with. There management is top notch and there pilot group is above average. If you get on the right airplane with the right owner life is very good at avjet. If you get on with a high volume demanding owner life is pretty tough. They never take days off/vacation days back (unlike some Charter companies out there) and they always conduct themselves in a classy professional manor. There pay is also above average. All and all about as good as you will ever find for on-demand charter and you only fly the most famous of people with them. I flew past presidents, religous leaders, captains of industry and the who's who of Hollywood will I was there. I didn't kmow how good it was there until I left it and worked for other charter companies, until then I was a commuter pilot for Business Express based in Boston.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:50 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2008

I worked for Avjet a little over a year ago and also thought greener pastures prevailed and left. Boy did I learn a hard lesson! Avjet is by far the best 135 charter airline around. Once you leave, even under good terms it is hard to get back. They are a great company and treat the pilot group well. I would go back in a flat second if they offered me the opportunity. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:22 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Space Shuttle PIC

How big is the pilot group? Are pilots dual-rated or do they tend to only fly one aircraft type? I hear they fly a lot on average - are there ever any hard days off per month or are you constantly on the beeper?
Old 08-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

Are their mins negotiable or no? id love to move to so cal for a decent paying job.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Line Holder

The pilot group was roughly around 60 give or take? (they do have contract guys on the roster as well), They are growing and adding several additional G-Rides (150, 350, 450, 550). Not sure about expansion with regards to other A/C in the fleet since I am a G-IV driver. The question regarding dual ratings is a little more difficult to answer since it depends on how you are hiring on, ie. as a "Floater" or specifically for one type of aircraft. The days off vary and if you are a "Floater" hard days off may be minamal (3 FAR days per month). However, very unlikely you will have fewer than 12-15 days off per month. Now if you are on a sweet 91 airplane with one of the outstanding owners Avjet manages for, you can sit back and collect the cash and smile all the way to the bank.

But please don't just take my word for it, call the Chief Pilot and talk to him, he is very friendly and sets the tone for a great place to work with structure and utmost respect and appreciation for the pilots. Also their maintenance facility on property is incredible. Avjet is a fantastic company and like I said I would not think twice if they invited me back.
Best of luck to you.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by flyinaway411 View Post
Are their mins negotiable or no? id love to move to so cal for a decent paying job.

As far as I know they are Hard. However you might be the exception and I would encourage you to try. You have nothing to lose.