Joined APC: Aug 2007
Default Airnet bad News

The Columbus Dispatch : AirNet to move main hub to Chicago

AirNet to move main hub to Chicago
Corporative offices to stay in Columbus
Wednesday, September 24, 2008 10:39 AM
By Tracy Turner

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
AirNet Systems said today it will move its primary hub and operations to Chicago and reduce the number of flight and planes it now offers. In one of his first moves as the company's new chief executive, George Gonzalez said the decision provides the company more "flexibility." There was no immediate word on how central Ohio employment could be affected.
"We determined it was necessary to redesign the airline network following intensive review and analysis to determine the best course of action for AirNet's future," he said in a statement, calling the company "well-positioned and growing."
Gonzalez, 48, was named last month as the company's second chief executive in about two years. Gonzalez said the company will keep its corporate and administrative offices, airline operations and customer resource center in Columbus.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Which one doesn't belong?

"Flexibility"
"Well Positioned"
"Growing"
Furloughing.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: F/O- G-V/550

Originally Posted by Gchamp3 View Post
Which one doesn't belong?

"Flexibility"
"Well Positioned"
"Growing"
Furloughing.
Well I guess "growing" doesn't belong, Gonzalez is selling airples and reducing flights, yet he's talking about growth?? What the hell... Typical CEO, tells investors one thing and his employees something different......I do agree with the Chicago move, gotta go where the action is, but Chicago is A LOT more expensive than Columbus.
Old 09-24-2008, 03:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Good luck to all Starcheckers.

Some of the most fun I've had in this business was flying around alone in an AirNet chieftain.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:39 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2008

This company is toast.......

Craig Washka got let go today....

How is the company growing when they are furloughing and letting the head of pilot hiring go?

I heard Bayside management is planning on shutting the door around the 1st of the year, and they are going to milk profits through the fourth quarter.............and then liquidate......

The real reason they are moving to Chicago is for tax purposes......for the fiscal year of 08'. It is all but a done deal now.....what a shame.....

A great pilot group has been let down by management......
Old 09-25-2008, 02:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by CharlieBrown999 View Post
This company is toast.......

Craig Washka got let go today....

How is the company growing when they are furloughing and letting the head of pilot hiring go?

I heard Bayside management is planning on shutting the door around the 1st of the year, and they are going to milk profits through the fourth quarter.............and then liquidate......

The real reason they are moving to Chicago is for tax purposes......for the fiscal year of 08'. It is all but a done deal now.....what a shame.....

A great pilot group has been let down by management......

I wish you were lying, but it all makes too much sense. Washka getting canned is truly the end of an era. He was the posterboy for that damned company.

The Airnet that we signed up for is dead.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: CFI in training

That sucks, I just talked to Craig the other day, and he was a nice guy. Even took the time to talk to me about my hours and things my low-time ass can do to try to get a job, even though they weren't even thinking about hiring any SICs at the time. Sucks that they let him go, and I wish him all the luck he may need...
Old 09-26-2008, 03:07 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2007

Wow! Yeah, I talked to Washka a few weeks ago too! I didn't know the situation was like that but I guess that is what happens when all the mgmt changes and wants to completely "restructure"
Old 09-26-2008, 04:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by Gchamp3 View Post
I wish you were lying, but it all makes too much sense. Washka getting canned is truly the end of an era. He was the posterboy for that damned company.

The Airnet that we signed up for is dead.

No doubt. I can't believe he was there all of those years. He interviewed me 14 yrs ago at 3:00 in the morning. Needless to say I wasn't hired. I was to tired to take a written test, and fly the sim at 0300!
Old 09-26-2008, 07:49 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: Cessna 310

I just talked to Craig again today and he said Airnet had no plans to let him go. He kindly explained that even though things are rough for the whole industry at this time, Airnet is going through a major restructuring....not folding its doors. He also said the furlough now may not last very long at all. They are moving to Chicago, but that's because there's been a major shift in their market and Chicago will be more efficient for the Company. In other words, they just picked up alot of new business, but the check-hauling is going away.
So everyone keep their heads and hopes up for Airnet. It's a good company going through some major changes. The good news is that this furlough is the first one in 34 years and it may not even last that long. Don't give up the seniority number!