Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Left 121 regional for 135 Cargo??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Default Left 121 regional for 135 Cargo??

What were some of the big differences between the two after switching? I've been at Trans States on the EMB145 for a couple of years.

Best places to work? QOL/pay/equipment/work environment? I've had Ameriflight highly recommended so far and I would ultimately like to start building TurbPIC asap.

mostly back side of the clock? What would be the best way to get runs during the day?

typical day? Start at 2am make one flight, stay there a while and fly back at about 7am?

I feel pretty ignorant with this stuff, so thanks for your patience.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

I made the switch and havent looked back. Our company was on demand before, however we just got a couple of scheduled runs for UPS.
QOL of life and pay? at my company FO pay is on par to 2nd or 3rd year FO pay at a regional, and thats working about 6-10 days a month. On the downside you are on call about half the month some may not like that, I dont mind just depends on you. About 60-70 percent of our trips were day trips yes occasionaly we did get a call at 2,3,or 4 am, thats just the way the buisness is. the new scheduled UPS stuff will be backside of the clock I dont mind though the new schedule is very very attractive. I dont know anything about Ameriflight other than what i see on here, I dont think they are affiliated with Ameristar who is one of our competitors im sure someone who knows better will chime in. Anyway I made the switch and love it, not all may feel the same way though, good luck in your venture
Old 11-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: UPS 757/767 Capt ONT

I don't think it's so much back side of the clock. It's an early show, like 4 to 5am. Fly 1 to 1.5 hours, crew rest at the outstation (hotel or company apartment), show again at 5 or 6pm. Then back home. Four to Five days a week. That's very much a broad generalization but that's how it used to work when I did it. I also think there are certain niche bases and trips that, with seniority, a guy could work into to sort of customize the job. My friend had a good gig going for a while where he was home every night though his base was in a different city. It was a DHL run, though, and didn't last.

I'm speaking of Amflight, by the way.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:51 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2006

I liked flying freight, but like the regional life better. I think the key is going to a quality freight company like Ameriflight or Airnet. I chose a dumpy one that didnt pay as well as the above.
Old 11-08-2008, 04:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

i'd recomend airnet but we're a bit overstaffed at the moment (36 furloughs). I'd say what makes the good 135's good is not only the pay but a devotion to maitenence.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:57 AM
Line Holder

Position: CRJ-900 F/O

I came from a Falcon 20 pt135 place that was run really good and I really enjoyed my time there. But I have been at XJ for about 8 months and it has been soo much better. If you want to fly a lot more and to different places the pt.135 might be better. The quality of life I enjoy at XJ is ten times as good as it was at the freight place, schedule is awesome, and the planes are brand new.
The pt.135 was on call 24/7...sometimes released on weekends. Paperwork out the nose for every pt.135 leg. Pt. 121...I had 18 days off last month...had a slightly higher check then my pt.135 buddies sitting around on call.
To answer what the first post asked about specific companies....right now just find a somewhat stable job (if that exists) and keep it. Not much out there right now in the way of jobs.