Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Best Hand Held Nav/Com

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: I only fly multi-winged airplanes.

Originally Posted by AVIATORCFI View Post
CAPTAIN TEEZY,

If you are flying cargo single pilot IFR , buy yourself good flashlight, GPS 396 with nexrad weather and ICOM IC-A24 handheld; you won't regret.

Hey thanks...I am definitely getting that handheld....with time/money I WILL get a GPS with WX. I have used the 496 and 396, they are AMAZING. Thanks again AVIATIORCFI.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:06 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2009

I've had the Sporty's model for almost 10 yrs. Not the smallest radio, but it's about the cheapest. The CDI is a great feature for "plan B." As others have recommended, keep spare batteries in your case. Another recommendation that I haven't seen yet is to purchase the headset adapter. In the a/c, a handheld radio is very hard to hear without a headset if you have to use it.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: I only fly multi-winged airplanes.

Originally Posted by RadarP3C View Post
I've had the Sporty's model for almost 10 yrs. Not the smallest radio, but it's about the cheapest. The CDI is a great feature for "plan B." As others have recommended, keep spare batteries in your case. Another recommendation that I haven't seen yet is to purchase the headset adapter. In the a/c, a handheld radio is very hard to hear without a headset if you have to use it.

That is what I was wondering about...let me know if you see that headset adapter.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2009

Originally Posted by CaptainTeezy View Post
That is what I was wondering about...let me know if you see that headset adapter.
Here's the link to Sportys for the adapter....Headset Adapter (for SP-200 & JD-200 NAV/COM) - Sporty's Pilot Shop