Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Best Hand Held Nav/Com

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 07:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: I only fly multi-winged airplanes.
Default Best Hand Held Nav/Com

Hey all, I am hauling freight in a C402 and was just curious if any of you have gotten one of those hand held Nav/Coms. I think it would be an amesome tool if I had a complete electrical failure. Anyways I was just wondering how well it transmitts and receives standard 2 way communication and VOR/Loc signals and also if you have any info on which one is the best. Thanks all.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:51 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Man, you know you're having a bad day when all the lights go out in a twin. I've heard the Sporty's model isn't too bad, but I'm sure there's some better out there. Honestly the chances are slim, but honestly I'd probably spend my money on a hand-held GPS and a good LED flashlight before I put it on a Nav/Com honestly.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: The Right One

I have the Sporty's (SP-200) It Rocks, it is a great piece of gear for the money, mine is 5 years old, and it has held up amazingly well for what I put it through. It is one of the few that has a LOC function. Think carefully about how you will power it, I have always used the AA packs, you can always get them.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:55 PM
El Capitan

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
Man, you know you're having a bad day when all the lights go out in a twin.
Funny thing is that is exactly what happened to one of my friends years ago! He was flying a 402 back to Kotzebue, AK at night and basically one alternator fried itself and some how took out the other than the battery immediately died. Oh and did I mention his flashlight was in his flight bag stowed in the nose baggage.

He moved over to the right seat because it had a DG and he could just make out the instruments. He than let down over the ocean and was able to make out the lights of Kotzebue.

Last I heard he was flying for Fedex.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Hey guys thank you soooo much....I finally got some answers...and not just a bunch of ridicule and opinions that have nothing to do with my direct questions...thanks again to all who actually gave me some REAL insight.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:18 AM
Flying Farmer

Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

Originally Posted by CaptainTeezy View Post
Hey guys thank you soooo much....I finally got some answers...and not just a bunch of ridicule and opinions that have nothing to do with my direct questions...thanks again to all who actually gave me some REAL insight.
You're welcome. I think we all agreed on a good flashlight(that you keep next to you at night, not in a baggage compartment. A cell phone works in a pinch.

One thing I know is some handhelds really have short battery lives. Spare batteries for any of these and the flashlights should also be a must carry and accessible at all times.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:38 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Does anyone know where you can get a good used handheld. I looked on ebay, but they really seem very outdated, and anything new and worth a dang is more expensive than other online stores.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Ewfflyer View Post
You're welcome. I think we all agreed on a good flashlight(that you keep next to you at night, not in a baggage compartment. A cell phone works in a pinch.

One thing I know is some handhelds really have short battery lives. Spare batteries for any of these and the flashlights should also be a must carry and accessible at all times.
Why would you need a flashlight in a twin??? You made it sound like a complete electrical failure was kind of a dumb notion in your first post...don't you think that if you can have a situation where the lights go out...the coms and navs may go out too??? Again thanks for stating the obvious...I have 2 of my own personal flash lights in my possesion at all times...in fact one is a head lamp...so if I do have any electrical/light issues I just flip it on. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:15 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Really I would think a backup GPS and a couple decent flashlight's to be a common investment among anyone flying professionally. I have always been provided a spare one until now, that is the only reason I care to buy one.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: PA-31 LEFT SEAT

CAPTAIN TEEZY,

If you are flying cargo single pilot IFR , buy yourself good flashlight, GPS 396 with nexrad weather and ICOM IC-A24 handheld; you won't regret.