Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Cape Air (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/39132-cape-air.html)

wizepilot 07-16-2010 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by minitour (Post 840623)
Any expansion rumors for the mid-atlantic area?

PA, OH, IN, WV even?

-mini

I interviewed back in 07 for a Captain slot, and they offered me a position. I am from Indiana, and they were going to start the South Bend-Indy-Evansville run. I ended up turning down the position because, then, they said this run was a trial and would run for only 7 or 8 months. Well, that was exactly the way it was. I was not going to lose my job after this time frame and move out East. So, I doubt they will do Indiana again anytime soon.

robthree 07-17-2010 07:36 AM

mini,
Anyplace there is government cheese to be had(EAS routes), Cape Air will go. Without a subsidy or an obvious market (like ACK-HPN) they aren't going.

The IN flying was subsidized by a state grant. EVV wanted to continue after the trial period. SBN did not. Loads weren't there to continue unsubsidized, and the one remaining route didn't justify the allocation of resources.

Crism,
FO's are required on every leg in the STL market, due to the AA marketing agreement. Elsewhere, they are required only to cover inop Autopilots in IFR conditions. So assume one or two each in BWI, ALB, FLA, & the Carib; and a half dozen or so in New England.

I count 133 402 Captains on the Seniority List published today, plus 10 "PIC" qualified FOs who should upgrade in the next few months, and I think there were 136 positions on the bid. So there are a few immediate vacancies, and I'd guess the current rate of hiring will continue, but I don't see the flood gates opening this year.

NightIP 07-17-2010 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by robthree (Post 842353)
I count 133 402 Captains on the Seniority List published today, plus 10 "PIC" qualified FOs who should upgrade in the next few months, and I think there were 136 positions on the bid. So there are a few immediate vacancies, and I'd guess the current rate of hiring will continue, but I don't see the flood gates opening this year.

I definitely don't know about flood gates either, but I can definitely imagine some hiring to cover attrition as the year goes on. Lots of people getting recalled, getting new jobs, etc. all of a sudden. :D

Way2Broke 08-02-2010 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by NightIP (Post 842391)
I definitely don't know about flood gates either, but I can definitely imagine some hiring to cover attrition as the year goes on. Lots of people getting recalled, getting new jobs, etc. all of a sudden. :D

747 and 757/67 type jobs. :)

NightIP 08-02-2010 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Way2Broke (Post 849355)
747 and 757/67 type jobs. :)

Don't worry, robthree still wins. Somehow a 767-300ER weighs half what a 747 classic weighs. How does that thing even fly? :D

minitour 08-02-2010 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by NightIP (Post 849819)
Don't worry, robthree still wins. Somehow a 767-300ER weighs half what a 747 classic weighs. How does that thing even fly? :D

Money. Lots.

-mini

VAviator 08-02-2010 07:36 PM

I know this isn't really on topic for where this thread is now, but just curious as to where guys go on to from Cape. If I started with around 500 hundred multi and ATP mins, worked for 2-3 years, what kind of jobs could I be looking at? Also considering no turbine time in the logbook as well.

I'm trying to take aim at my next "step" in this career and, like everyone else, trying to reduce the total number of "steps" to end up where I want to be (which is a fractional, with most interest in Avantair at the moment.)

Thanks!

NightIP 08-02-2010 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by VAviator (Post 849829)
I know this isn't really on topic for where this thread is now, but just curious as to where guys go on to from Cape. If I started with around 500 hundred multi and ATP mins, worked for 2-3 years, what kind of jobs could I be looking at? Also considering no turbine time in the logbook as well.

I'm trying to take aim at my next "step" in this career and, like everyone else, trying to reduce the total number of "steps" to end up where I want to be (which is a fractional, with most interest in Avantair at the moment.)

Thanks!

Just about everywhere, to be honest.

We've had at least one pilot interview at JetBlue recently. We've had a number of pilots go to fractional, corporate, and charter gigs. Many to regional airlines. I'm off to a heavy-jet ACMI carrier, and robthree is as well. Heck, I think there may have been a Cape Air ATR pilot go off to Continental some time back.

Take your pick. This is good flight time that will get you places. Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise just because it doesn't burn Jet A.

9kBud 08-02-2010 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by NightIP (Post 849842)
Just about everywhere, to be honest.

We've had at least one pilot interview at JetBlue recently. We've had a number of pilots go to fractional, corporate, and charter gigs. Many to regional airlines. I'm off to a heavy-jet ACMI carrier, and robthree is as well. Heck, I think there may have been a Cape Air ATR pilot go off to Continental some time back.

Take your pick. This is good flight time that will get you places. Don't let anyone ever tell you otherwise just because it doesn't burn Jet A.

Granted, you do have some turbine time. We'll see how it goes for me a couple years down the road with truly no turbine time.

NightIP 08-02-2010 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by 9kBud (Post 849872)
Granted, you do have some turbine time. We'll see how it goes for me a couple years down the road with truly no turbine time.

That's true, and is the case for many of the people moving on from Cape Air at the moment. That said, fractional/charter/corporate gigs should be well within a 9K pilot's grasp, even without previous turbine experience. The multi PIC is great for checking boxes for insurance.

And if you really want the turbine time, there's always the ATR...