Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   Cape Air (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/39132-cape-air.html)

9kBud 08-15-2010 06:24 AM

I don't think there is a company policy about commuting on work days. However, it's pretty hard to do that since day one on most Midwest lines start at 0500.

Speedbird172 08-15-2010 06:35 AM

In general a lot of the schedules are built for AM or PM starts, but not a lot of them are mixed in one work week. For example at the moment my schedule is 4 days starting at 1230, so great if I wanted to commute on day 1, but I get done (in my outstation) at around 930p, after which there are no more flights back to BOS, so I would be stuck trying to commute home on my day off if I was going to do that. The upstate NY bases out of ALB do have schedules that are a little more commuter-friendly (day 1 starts 10-11am ish, day 4 ends 11am ish), and they also work on a 4 on 5 off rotation so if you could hold one of those it would make commuting life a little easier. This place really is a different beast than the other 121 regionals as far as schedules go.

minitour 08-15-2010 08:13 AM

So when you bid and are awarded a base/route/run/whatever, is that yours "until you die" or do you get to deal with someone of higher seniority bumping you out of it in a week/month/year/whatever?

Just wondering how realistic it is to move (relocate) to one of those outstations. It wouldn't be terrible, I guess (home every night, etc.) if you didn't have to worry about always getting bounced around.

I have zero commuting experience since I've always lived in (or in driving distance of) base...or been home based.

-mini

Speedbird172 08-15-2010 07:22 PM

Yea that's the problem being junior here is getting bumped...we're trying a new system which is supposed to offer some more stability (not sure how) but still a lot of people aren't too happy with having to move around this coming winter. All in all though I'd say it's the only major gripe about the company, and being junior I can't complain all that much as I knew it was part of the deal when I came here. And being 'stuck' in the Virgin Islands for the winter won't be the worst thing in the world:cool:

LakeshoreFlyer 08-15-2010 07:23 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, and help, Speedbird and others. Cape Air is truly a different airline, isn't it? That's what is so attractive to me. After spending a couple of decades in the bigs (as a flight attendant) it's refreshing to see a Company that it's employees actually care for. The commuting, and relocating, sound especially brutal for 9K versus other traditional airlines. You've helped me realize that I won't be doing the trip to Atlanta on August 28th for Fltops.com's hiring event. Thanks for the input, and enjoy the flying. Maybe someday.....

robthree 08-15-2010 08:02 PM

mini,

9K has a brand new base rights LOA. It is designed to allow you to move to an outstation and not be bumped out by a more senior pilot.
Once you hold a permanent position in a station you can only be displaced by a senior pilot who's own permanent position has been eliminated(ie a base reduction or closing).

That said, there is no guarantee that the line values in a base will remain consistent from one bid to the next. You could hold a 4/5, 35 hour(weekly) min line one bid and have a 51 hour 5/2 the next.

There are several people who have moved to the outstations and enjoy that kind of flying and lifestyle.

KAT3 08-16-2010 11:13 AM

Do you know if the FO seniority bid system inherited the new rules?

By the way speedbird, did you happen to work at DWC way back in the day? Regardless, GO SOX!

Speedbird172 08-16-2010 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by KAT3 (Post 856631)
By the way speedbird, did you happen to work at DWC way back in the day? Regardless, GO SOX!

Not sure about way back in the day but I was a CFI there '05-'07. Would you be flying that Cherokee way out in the pacific by chance?

Ruff T 08-27-2010 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by rocketman3746 (Post 855392)
just got the call! Sounds like a class of 10-15. Home study starts on the 7th of September. Not sure of bases. Northeast sounds unlikely though.

Congrats on the class date! Are there any other people on here that were offered the same date? The reason why I ask is cause I'm in the pool as well but I didn't get a call :confused:

benwilder 08-27-2010 06:30 AM

Not sure how much this helps, but I was added to the captain pool in early march and didnt get a call either, (atp mins with written done but no atp). Called krista about a week ago but never got a response. When I interviewed they said the pool was at 15 and they would be adding about 5 from our group that was interviewing.