Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Another unemployed pilot

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: Self employed

In California, you need to be paid ( I think ) within 48 hours. And that 401k is yours, not theirs (unless you weren't "vested", in which case your contributions are still yours).

File a claim with the labor agency in your state.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: C-172

Most of us work in an "at will" state where the employer can fire you for whatever reason or no reason at all, and where the employee can quit for whatever reason or no reason at all. So, this 135 company did not do anything illegal when it decided to fire you, but the way it went about it leaves a lot to be desired. The sad thing is that many companies are like that, whether the economy is in the dumps or not.

Actually, many employers find it very difficult to terminate or furlough someone without getting all emotional and personal about it. That is why some bring in outside HR people to do the hatchet work. For a small family owned operation like this one, they probably are so overwhelmed with other issues, they don't know the first thing on employee relations. I am not defending them (since I don't know them at all), but just pointing out this perspective.

If you did not get paid for work already done, you have a legal claim against the company and I urge you to pursue that. Regarding the vacation, most of the time, this is lost, but the 401k is technically yours and you should be able to transfer the amounts you contributed into another personal 401k account. You will likely not be able to get the employer contributions.

You should be able to go on COBRA for medical coverage. The premiums are very high and most people can't pay it given then they no longer have a paycheck.

The next thing you should do is apply for unemployment benefits. PM me if you have questions or are denied benefits.

If you can get anyone to talk to, negotiate the vacation, 401K and a severance package. Ask for educational help or career/job hunting help. Ask about part time or non-flying work. You have nothing to lose by asking.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2009

I'm not eligible for unemployment because I have a part time job which I now will be working full time.

Hopefully in June I should have another job that will relocate me to another country.. it wouldn't be the first time I've been an expat. I'm looking forward to this one because it will get me into bush flying
Old 04-29-2009, 11:39 AM
On Reserve

Sorry to hear that kind of news. The best of luck to you in your search for a new job. People (companies) like that sure have a lot to know about human relationships.
Cheers
Old 04-29-2009, 02:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: PA-44 Left Seat :P

Can you do us all a favor and give us the name of the company?
Old 04-29-2009, 05:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: F/O- G-V/550

Originally Posted by HectorD View Post
Can you do us all a favor and give us the name of the company?
not sure if that's a good idea, you never know what people will write and who will read it......why compromise a good referal??

My advice, take your losses and move on. I'd try to get as many LORs as possible (boss, pilots, etc)

Last edited by UCLAbruins; 04-30-2009 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:47 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2009

I have consulted with 4 different lawyers since I was not paid. One I filed a class action suite with, then I notified the department of labor. The DOL was very surprised, because they usually only deal with people that earn less than 10$/hr. They sent a letter to my former employer, but I doubt that will do anything. This was a coast to coast operation affecting hundreds of pilots... but nothing has worked, anyone have any further advise? The best I hear is that I won't see this money for another 10 years, and I will at best receive 10 cents on the dollar.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Line Holder

Position: CFI/CFII/MEI

N118NW - I am truly sorry to hear the news. I had a somewhat similar situation. I worked as a part-time CFI at my university for 1.5 years and applied for a full-time position after graduation. I never heard back from anyone about my full-time application, so I just assumed that I didn't get the job (there was only one opening). When emailing my boss, I said I looked forward to seeing them at the next semester's CFI meeting, and they said that I did not get the full-time position (which I assumed) and that since I didn't apply for a part-time position, there was no reason for me to turn up the next semester. I replied back saying I assumed that applying for a full-time position and not getting it would just mean that I would retain my part-time position. Apparently not. I had to email my boss almost a month after the fall semester ended to find out that I had been let go. They didn't even tell me - I HAD TO EMAIL THEM! I felt like Milton from Office Space. After coaching the flight team for 2 years (all of which was volunteer time), leading them to and winning competitions, volunteering for freshmen orientations, volunteering for Oral Review Nights for students, volunteering to fly children and give them lessons for their summer aerospace camps, giving tower and simulator room tours, and all the numerous other things I did, that's how I was let go. It felt like such a betrayal. I didn't even know they had a problem with me. I had a 100% first-time pass rate.

As someone else said, you cannot rely on others. So many times, people will let you down and turn their backs on you. That's just life I guess.