Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Should Golf be allowed on layover?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008

tell him your doing charity work, In this economy everyone needs help.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:52 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: ATP, CFII, MEI, Chief Flight Instructor, Charter Captain CE402, CE421, BE58

I know the pro at the club and he said he's got clubs for me...I prefer to play with my clubs. That's not the point. If I'd been late or the customers had said something, it stops immediatley, no question. Not the case, they don't care and it's not interfering with anything but my chi.
Old 05-04-2009, 06:03 AM
Flying Farmer

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: Turbo-props' and John Deere's

I'd have to ask, what is it hurting? No harm, no foul in my book. Not like it's hampering the safety of the flight, nor hindering the time schedule of the flights, so I'd tell'm, in a nice way, to kindly place his lips upon your rear end.

Now, in this time of high level's of unemployment, I'd also be careful, because you are replaceable very easily too. Kind of a crappy situation.
Old 05-05-2009, 09:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

Just a thought, but could the company be concerned that your golfing has the appearance of using the aircraft and the customers dime for personal use.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: ATP, CFII, MEI, Chief Flight Instructor, Charter Captain CE402, CE421, BE58

Ziggy, I'm using the aircraft to get the customers where they need to go and do my job. Another part of my job is waiting for those customers. During my wait I'm spending about half of it to do some golfing. The complaint did not come from the customers as well. Nice thought but, no
Old 05-13-2009, 10:05 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Captain G1 & EMB120

Sounds just like a more personal thing with the boss. He is paying you and you are spending some of your day playing golf. I bet he is a bit taken back by it and the crunch of the economy probably does not help his opinion in his mind. He also probably is a bit jealous that he is not able to spend a few hours per day playing golf and still pull down the same pay.

He hired a pilot. He is paying for your professional FLIGHT abilities. I would simply state that to him in a very nice way and see if you can get him to tell you exactly why he has a problem with it. I can see both sides but lean toward the pilots point of view. If you are never late, never get customer complaints, or cause the company any additional money then there should not be a problem with what you do in your down time. I would present that as a point in your discussion. I would definitely discuss this with him before it could lead to more and more micro-managing of your down time.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: E-170

You should be able to do whatever you want on your layover. Its a matter of company policy. I can do whatever I want as long as im there when my passengers are ready. I agree its not cool but i wouldn't lose my job over it.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2009

Is the Plane cleaned up, ready for the next leg? Are there any unfiled Jepp revisions? Did you clean the windows? If you answered those questions correctly, go play Golf! If the customers show up unannounced and your not there, your fired!
Old 06-07-2009, 11:33 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: LR45

I would also point out that just being a proficient golfer is an excellent buisness tool. Heck, you may just find more buisness for your company while you are out strolling the links. If anything, someone on your plane plays golf and they sure do like it if thier trusty pilot can b.s. with them about new shafts and hybrid clubs!
Old 06-08-2009, 12:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

I am too lazy to look at the other page to see if I answered already. But heck yes it should be allowed!!!