Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Help on buying a twin

Old 07-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Round Two
Default Help on buying a twin

Looking for some help on buying a light twin like a navajo, 414 or even a cheyene. I've never bought a plane before and neither has the guy that is actually the buyer, I'll just fly it for him. Speaking of which I haven't flown any of these how are they, solid, good payloads, good range, fuel burn?

What should we watch out for or stay away from?
TT
time since overhaul
wing spars
maintenence nightmares
Avionics(I would be happy with 430/530)

It would be nice to get into something that we don't have to worry to much about and put it to work right away.

Typically how long does the buying process take once you've found the plane you want to buy?

Thanks for any and all help!
Old 07-02-2009, 02:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: KCCO

Send me a PM, I know a couple of guys in the aircraft brokerage business who can probably help you out. Sorry I couldn't be of more help up front!

P.S. - If you need a right seater....
Old 07-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Are you stuck on those airframes? My dad and I are selling an Aztec. PM for details.

TT is not much of a factor as time since overhaul on engines and props. Be cautions of planes with time since top overhaul, could be an indication of a previous mx issue. The whole buying process can be quick or drawn out. Usually a day to look over the log books and a test flight. Then you will want to have a pre buy inspection done, preferably at a mechanic of your choice. If you take it to someone that is friends with the seller, they could avoid and not mention some things. After the pre buy, get the finances in order and you are pretty much done. You could do all this in a few days if you have the time to do it. Another factor to look at is insurance costs for each airframe, as some will be higher than others. Our aztec has a G530 in it and it is pretty user friendly once you get the hang of it. The 4 and 530 are nice pieces of equipment that can do a lot. What kind of flights will you be using this for? Load and range etc? Also, be cautions of buying a plane from the south around FL due to corrosion issues. I'm sure there are more people that will chime in that have bought more planes than me and have more useful info too. Good luck
Old 07-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

This is where you'll want to hire a aircraft sales professional. They can help you access information about various aircraft. Also they will know tax issues and loop holes.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

I fly a 414A under part 135. PM me for more details.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by CloudPilot57 View Post
Are you stuck on those airframes? My dad and I are selling an Aztec. PM for details.

TT is not much of a factor as time since overhaul on engines and props. Be cautions of planes with time since top overhaul, could be an indication of a previous mx issue. The whole buying process can be quick or drawn out. Usually a day to look over the log books and a test flight. Then you will want to have a pre buy inspection done, preferably at a mechanic of your choice. If you take it to someone that is friends with the seller, they could avoid and not mention some things. After the pre buy, get the finances in order and you are pretty much done. You could do all this in a few days if you have the time to do it. Another factor to look at is insurance costs for each airframe, as some will be higher than others. Our aztec has a G530 in it and it is pretty user friendly once you get the hang of it. The 4 and 530 are nice pieces of equipment that can do a lot. What kind of flights will you be using this for? Load and range etc? Also, be cautions of buying a plane from the south around FL due to corrosion issues. I'm sure there are more people that will chime in that have bought more planes than me and have more useful info too. Good luck

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty sure he wants to stay in the Navajo size range, I'm hoping I can find a Cheyene that he'll step up to. Just got to compare operating cost and justify it. As for where I'll be flying, around the midwest and up to three times a week to Denver. The plane will be based in Spearfish SD, might have to make the occassional trip to the east coast. I've heard about planes from FL and corrosion, I'll tread lightly.
Old 07-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Found a Cheyene 1 in IA but it needs a paint job and updated interior really bad. Any thoughts on how muh a paint job would cost? Interior?
Old 07-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: E-170

I fly a Cheyenne II for 135. PM me and i can give you detailed specs.
Old 07-03-2009, 05:52 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: CR7 Capt.
Default What's the mission...

Airplanes are pretty subjective - we all have our favorites. But if you lay out the mission requirements - what stage length, how many passengers, how often, and what kind of weather. You (or the buyer might find the right twin is a single). And I suppose, if you're relatively inexperienced, the insurance cost may factor in, as well.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: C560/G200

also, what are your times? (If you plan on flying it, better be sure you can get insurance with you as pilot)

I fly a couple Navajo Cheiftains (Panther conversions) and would be willing to answer any questions on them.

I have been told by many to avoid the P-Navajos.