Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Is the North East considered Desirable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 04:02 AM
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jun 2006

Thanks for the input,

Jet- to each is own i guess. I have lived in New England my whole life and i wouldnt want to be anywhere else, I live in San Diego (when i am not in Iraq) and it is beautiful and i absolutely love the weather and the people and the busy airspace, but it just isnt for me.

Otto- Also good advice, that is my plan as of now, i will go to Florida and finish my last few ratings when i get back to the states and than instruct there for approximately a year or so until i get over 1000 or so tt, i am not shooting for minimums so i have to take the first job thrown my way, i would like to be fairly marketable and than once i have the hours i am going to shoot for something New England, or even NY. Another option i have is instruct until over 1000tt and hopefully 600 or so ME and than take a good starter position whether going wherever a regional will put me or wherever a 135 will put me to make myself even more marketable to some of those operations in New England..one thing that perked my interest is that one of those companies that ERJ listed, i cant recall which one at this moment flies mostly the caravan has on order a decent amount of Eclipse Jets i think it was (insert brand XX jet type in Eclipse spot if i was wrong) and that sounds nice to have a chance to live around there and fly the van and than move up to a VLJ..wont be making the high 100's of an airline pilot but potential for happiness and stability...maybe..
Old 06-06-2006, 04:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: CR7 Capt

Originally Posted by usmc-sgt
Thanks for the input,

one thing that perked my interest is that one of those companies that ERJ listed, i cant recall which one at this moment flies mostly the caravan has on order a decent amount of Eclipse Jets i think it was (insert brand XX jet type in Eclipse spot if i was wrong) and that sounds nice to have a chance to live around there and fly the van and than move up to a VLJ..wont be making the high 100's of an airline pilot but potential for happiness and stability...maybe..
I just saw my friend today that works for Linear air. He told me they are getting the VLJ's in Dec. They are still hiring and continue to hire. Their mins are 1500tt 300multi. I had been semi considering it myself. Getting tried of instructing or lack of with the several days of rain. I have 1100tt 150 multi and he told me I had plenty of time, so they seem flexable. He said they fly as much as a 100hrs a month, generally spend 3wks in Jan in the caribbean flying cargo. They are also going to start doing longer trips with the VLJ's maybe BED to DC. Good luck
Old 06-07-2006, 04:31 AM
Super Moderator

good luck to you as well, i think that will be something i will pursue in the future maybe as well, although a year or so after you..if they are still hiring. Sounds like a great outfit though and a good position for your friend to be in. Start out flying the props and now he has a great oppurtunity to upgrade to some jet time and expand his normal routes. thanks again for that info.
Old 07-11-2006, 09:35 AM
JoePilot

With VLJ's coming online I would think that that area would be a great place. Left and righ coasts as well.

Links to VLJ news and information here http://www.very-light-jet.com

I remember seeing information about this area specifically but haven't been able to track down that article. Not sure if I saw it at the above site or not.

Old 07-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by JoePilot
With VLJ's coming online I would think that that area would be a great place. Left and righ coasts as well.

Links to VLJ news and information here http://www.very-light-jet.com

I remember seeing information about this area specifically but haven't been able to track down that article. Not sure if I saw it at the above site or not.
I certainly have high hopes for the VLJ thing. I am also very much looking into Cape Air. QOL is a very important factor to me and i would like the oppurtunity to work around where my wife wants to live. I chose to join the military and bring her all over the country and it is her choice where we will live in the future. She is flexible though pretty much anywhere in the new england area and i would prefer not to commute, at least any more then i would have to until i gained senority to bid a MHT or BOS or Providence base. I think this VLJ thing could be a good deal though...anybody....what do you think the pay will be like for a VLJ? similiar to a king air or citation or smaller like a 421? Just curious as to what you think it will be looking like.

My hopes are high in pursuing this but if the QOL starts to go downhill and it affect my marriage negatively in more of a way then we are both willing to accept then i am bailing out and going the state trooper route. My father just bougth a plane and owns a hangar and my inlaws live on a private 4000' grass strip aviation community in NH so at least i will still have the sky. Only time will tell.
Old 07-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Hey, here is another one for you. Heritage flight in BTV. I interviewed with them yesterday in BTV. Very nice operation, good people, and a lot of the trips are out and back. They fly the King air 90 as well as a citation Encore, challenger 604 and the Excel. They are getting more King Airs and maybe another Excel. So there is room for advancment. www.flyheritage.com

Oh BTW, the Green Mountains were practicing and they are unbelievable . Never seen fighters up close before.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

ERJ- When i come home on leave or move back there (whichever comes first) we are going out for a beer.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by usmc-sgt
ERJ- When i come home on leave or move back there (whichever comes first) we are going out for a beer.

Sounds good...
Old 07-12-2006, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

...although if at that time i am just instructing.....you might have to buy
Old 07-28-2006, 04:15 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Right seat

usmc-sgt I m currently living in the nashua area and have lived in ne my whole life. Im flying a hawker now but i used to fly for alpha and its a really good company. They are hiring a lot and u need to have around 800 plus hours on average. Good schedule and good QOL. I saw in your original post that you are still on the low side for time and theres a few good flightschools in the area to get your ratings and time. Other than alpha and wiggins u also have airnow and as someone else said linear. In CT theres also tradewind aviation out of oxc with pilatus, caravans and some citations i believe. Well hope this helps