Airline Pilot Central Forums

Airline Pilot Central Forums (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/)
-   Part 135 (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/)
-   -   I hate USA Today. (https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/part-135/43972-i-hate-usa-today.html)

HungryPilot 09-17-2009 05:52 AM

I have worked at a number of 135 ops as well and I know there are a lot of bad ones out there. A charter company here in my city just recently went under (finally) and a few of their aircraft owners brought there jets over to our company. Because maintenance was so shady at the other company it was going to cost so much money to get what was before an 'airworthy' plane in legal working order again the owner said to park it. Yes the article made it's point I guess but really did not back up it's claim. It cited some accidents but really failed to deliver the connection between what was wrong and why it was a lack of oversight that caused it. Maybe it's just the ops I've been at and the FAA folks I know but I think there is plenty of oversight. The rules in place should be enough. Do we really want or even need more?

poor pilot 09-17-2009 06:23 AM

I've flown for a great 135 operator and the article is rings true from the things that I've seen.

i121ADX 09-17-2009 06:53 AM

The crew said they were fine to fly the leg from LIT - TOL. They fueled, got some coffee, and a pizza there from Supermarine. Do they still do that down there? Also, you have to have a crew that would work with you. We ended up giving that crew two days off for the hard work. It's not like I didn't reward them for helping us out in a jam. We needed the plane back in TOL for a trip. We had one Falcon up north at the time and it was having gear problems and MX didn't want to stay late and fix it.

And it's not like I did it religiously...I can only count on one hand how many times I've done it.

TPROP4ever 09-17-2009 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR (Post 679500)

I'm sure that a drug runner might not be the most honest person on the FAA medical :o

USMCFLYR

Ok agreed, but you would think someone would catch it by running his info, Hell you'll appreciate this, back 20 years ago when I was in Bootcamp, we had a guy get pulled out of company, on the second week seems a cocaine conviction caught up with him, keep in mind this was in the 80's, with antiquated computers so if they could catch it then, makes me wonder...;) There had to be a background there, so I'm guessing someone at the FAA realy dropped the ball on that guy..

USMCFLYR 09-17-2009 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by TPROP4ever (Post 679990)
Ok agreed, but you would think someone would catch it by running his info, Hell you'll appreciate this, back 20 years ago when I was in Bootcamp, we had a guy get pulled out of company, on the second week seems a cocaine conviction caught up with him, keep in mind this was in the 80's, with antiquated computers so if they could catch it then, makes me wonder...;) There had to be a background there, so I'm guessing someone at the FAA realy dropped the ball on that guy..

I do appreciate it - and it depends on who is doing the checking I guess. I mean how often do we hear on the news that some sex offender is working in the cafeteria at an Elementary School, and those people are suppose to be tracked darn near 100% of the time! There are definitely loopholes in the system that someone with savy can exploit :mad:

USMCFLYR

FalconDrvr 09-18-2009 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by i121ADX (Post 679328)

Grand Aire is a perfect example of this

pilot1278 09-18-2009 10:59 AM

I've worked for a 135 company and it was pretty shady at times, but some of the things in the article seemed to not have been researched thorougly. The heli company arranging a fixed wing charter for instance. The word arranging is pretty vague, and it could mean any number of things. Hell, I could "arrange" a fixed wing charter, by picking up the phone and calling a 135 fixed wing company myself.

It is my dream to fly for, or start a small 135 company at some point in the future and I really hope this article doesn't screw things up.

FalconDrvr 09-18-2009 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by pilot1278 (Post 680561)
I've worked for a 135 company and it was pretty shady at times, but some of the things in the article seemed to not have been researched thorougly. The heli company arranging a fixed wing charter for instance. The word arranging is pretty vague, and it could mean any number of things. Hell, I could "arrange" a fixed wing charter, by picking up the phone and calling a 135 fixed wing company myself.

It is my dream to fly for, or start a small 135 company at some point in the future and I really hope this article doesn't screw things up.

Don't worry articles like this are published several times a year. No one takes USA Today seriously anyways.

i121ADX 09-21-2009 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by FalconDrvr (Post 680548)
Grand Aire is a perfect example of this

Funny you mentioned them...

TPROP4ever 09-21-2009 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR (Post 679997)
I do appreciate it - and it depends on who is doing the checking I guess. I mean how often do we hear on the news that some sex offender is working in the cafeteria at an Elementary School, and those people are suppose to be tracked darn near 100% of the time! There are definitely loopholes in the system that someone with savy can exploit :mad:

USMCFLYR

Agreed, it definatly does happen unfortunately......I was just suprised that someone with that background could slip through all the way to CP. But what you say puts it in perspective, if it can happen there it can happen here.