Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Handheld GPS

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: 717 Sidekick
Default Handheld GPS

Going into Dallas under IMC I heard a fellow cargo operator (to be unnamed) say to ATC "I can take a shortcut direct to a fix on the arrival. I have my handheld GPS onboard." ATC didn't really acknowledge so the pilot tried the attempt a second time. It hurts my head to think that pilots at the 135 operation level are unaware you can't be /G with a handheld. Be careful out there.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Left seat...of my Jeep

and now its on tape......Kudos to ATC for not responding and probably saving his butt (and a bunch of paperwork). Now someone needs to find this guy and enlighten him.
Old 02-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

What makes you sure he was /G with a handheld? That's a pretty big assumption if all you heard was what you put in your post. Direct routings are given every day by ATC to pilots with handheld GPS who have filed something other than /G.

The conversation usually involves some version of direct routing ion a radar environment with the understanding that the aircraft is on radar, is choosing a heading based on the situational awareness being provided, and an expectation that if there is a course issue, ATC will advise.

"I have my handheld GPS onboard" is often shorthand for all that, with both the pilot and ATC aware of the requirement that GPS not be used for primary navigation.

A longer version of the conversation might be something like this real one:

ATC: Proceed direct FIXNAME
Pilot: We're VFR GPS only. It looks like a heading of 275°. Will you advise of course deviations?
ATC: Will advise. proceed direct FIXNAME on that heading.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:14 AM
Line Holder

whatever he filed..he filed, but, wouldnt you consider that above stated instance as using a handheld for primary course guidance and navigation?

Last edited by jeepthrills; 02-03-2010 at 03:48 PM. Reason: clarification on my verbage!!
Old 02-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009
Position: E-170

Originally Posted by jeepthrills View Post
whatever he filed..he filed, but, wouldnt you consider that instance using a handheld for primary course guidance and navigation?
It is not legally possible to fly direct to an intersection or other rnav waypoint without being /g.

You can use your handheld to fly direct a vor, or some other land based fix regardless of distance using a handheld if you ask for a heading (and here the words "when able direct")

It is also a question if you request VFR-on-top can you can use your handheld gps, or pilotage to fly direct to a fix?
Old 02-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Day puke

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: Out.

It really depends on the opspecs.

At a previous employer, we were authorized to fly off airways and outside the service volumes as long as we could reliably fix our position at least once per hour.

Perhaps a better way is to request a vector until direct.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by propjunkie View Post
It is not legally possible to fly direct to an intersection or other rnav waypoint without being /g.

I agree 100%...but as stated by the OP, it sounds like treading in dangerous waters, regardless of what is accepted, or commonplace.
ask for heading to keep it legal, but as stated above...sounds risky. just my $.02
Old 02-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Left

Originally Posted by NoyGonnaDoIt View Post
"I have my handheld GPS onboard" is often shorthand for all that, with both the pilot and ATC aware of the requirement that GPS not be used for primary navigation.

Musta missed that section in the AIM...

Old 02-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: BEECH 1900 PIC

Originally Posted by propjunkie View Post

You can use your handheld to fly direct a vor, or some other land based fix regardless of distance using a handheld if you ask for a heading (and here the words "when able direct")

It is also a question if you request VFR-on-top can you can use your handheld gps, or pilotage to fly direct to a fix?

What about Loran/INS/VOR RNAV recievers? /g is not the only way to RNAV.

That being said, under most circumstances I would agree, however some 135 operators have a provision in the ops specs that allows them to area navigate without the use of any RNAV equipment (provided of course that certain requirements are met). Most notably of these is the ability to reliable fix your position at least once an hour using VORs. Another is operating within the Standard Service Volume of Airway VOR's. Basically, your Dead Reckoning on an IFR flight plan, in IMC conditions which is not precluded by the FAR's

As far as handhelds helping to provide "situational awareness" during this "area navigation" I believe the FAA has no real concern as long as it's not being utilized as the primary means of navigation.

Originally Posted by TMoney View Post
Going into Dallas under IMC I heard a fellow cargo operator (to be unnamed) say to ATC "I can take a shortcut direct to a fix on the arrival. I have my handheld GPS onboard." ATC didn't really acknowledge so the pilot tried the attempt a second time. It hurts my head to think that pilots at the 135 operation level are unaware you can't be /G with a handheld. Be careful out there.
If this operator did indeed have this op specs provision and the requirements of the provision were met, this communication was absolutely not necessary. A simple request to proceed direct to the fix would have sufficed. Of course the other glaring possibility is that this pilot was indeed in violation. However, speculation is about all that can be done considering such limited facts. We should probably not rush to judgment.
Old 02-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: 747 Captain (Ret,)
Talking

Many, many years ago I was a new hire second officer on the 727 out of CLE. After level off at 280 on the all nighter to LAX, the CAP told the F/O to request direct LAX. ATC came back "gee, I didn't know you guys had INS on your 727s". The F/O came back "no, we don't have INS, but we do have ACARS". (The CAP then choked on his coffee.) ATC then said "OK, cleared LAX via ACARS direct". We had a good laugh, then went direct via the creased map method.

Note: This was when VLF/OMEGA and LORAN were just coming into common use, and I'm sure ATC really had no idea what any of them were.

Joe