Grand Canyon/Scenic Airlines

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Grand Canyon/Scenic Airlines

Old 03-06-2010, 06:16 PM
alchemist

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by minimwage4 View Post
More importantly are there still people paying for an old 206 to go up to the canyon? I guess they're dirt cheap. I was in Vegas a while back and I saw one of these GC tour boutiques, it looked like a 3rd world travel agency with no one in it.

I'm not surprised, it was pretty 'iffy' operations when I worked there in 05, but last I heard more helicopter operations now and 206 planes are being used for customers who wants to fly in a plane for a couple of hours type deal. I can't say too many bad things about grand canyon flying or other operators there, they did give me the opportunity to work and build hours/experience
Old 03-11-2010, 05:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Left

Flying the canyon will be one of the better experiences in your flying career. I did it back in 97-98. Flying beat to death 402 A-C models. Its some of the toughest flying conditions to get in with underpowered and under equipped airplanes. You will learn a lot as a pilot from the experience. You will be using the MEL seemingly more than your checklists. Remember the stuff that shows up on the MEL usually breaks on the last leg of the day at the outer marker inbound. Enjoy it.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:02 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: DHC-6 right seat

Originally Posted by cl601pilot View Post
Flying the canyon will be one of the better experiences in your flying career. I did it back in 97-98. Flying beat to death 402 A-C models. Its some of the toughest flying conditions to get in with underpowered and under equipped airplanes. You will learn a lot as a pilot from the experience. You will be using the MEL seemingly more than your checklists. Remember the stuff that shows up on the MEL usually breaks on the last leg of the day at the outer marker inbound. Enjoy it.
I have had the complete opposite experience with MELs. I maybe had 2 in 2 years. But that is in the otter as opposed to the 402. But great flying and great experience.
Old 03-11-2010, 08:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by DiputadoVolador View Post
I have had the complete opposite experience with MELs. I maybe had 2 in 2 years. But that is in the otter as opposed to the 402. But great flying and great experience.
When I wrote "beat to death 402's", what I really meant was barely airworthy. The company that I worked for had absolutely crap maintenance. Air Vegas and Eagle had much better maintained aircraft than we did. I would have given up really important body parts to have gotten to fly the Otter.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 PM
18 Day Gear Monkey

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Phenom Gear Jockey

Originally Posted by cl601pilot View Post
When I wrote "beat to death 402's", what I really meant was barely airworthy. The company that I worked for had absolutely crap maintenance. Air Vegas and Eagle had much better maintained aircraft than we did. I would have given up really important body parts to have gotten to fly the Otter.
Sounds like a fellow King pilot. I put in some time over there flying those death traps and then went on to TSA in 2007. Good times, but scary some days too. Can't beat making deals with God on short final to 1G4 when the wind is howlin. Oddly enough, I miss the hell out of it.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Herbie View Post
Sounds like a fellow King pilot. I put in some time over there flying those death traps and then went on to TSA in 2007. Good times, but scary some days too. Can't beat making deals with God on short final to 1G4 when the wind is howlin. Oddly enough, I miss the hell out of it.
No not King. They were the only operator that seemed like they were worse than ours. I flew for Sunshine out of VNY. We would fly direct from VNY or anywhere they could get paying passengers out to the Canyon. You have to love a a proposed 2:00 leg with :30 minutes reserve. Even though it seemed to always take 2:15 to get there and back. Those were fun times. I really do miss a lot of what went on with that flying. We also seemed to have a lot of late night crew meetings that are very memorable.