Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Kenmore Air

Old 08-19-2006, 09:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Sitting down and facing front. Why would you want to know that?
Question Kenmore Air

Does anyone know anything about Kenmore Air out of Seattle? I am sure that they hire off of internal recomendations, but does anyone know what kind of minimums they would be looking for? How much float time? Is instructing the way to get on with them? Anything?
Old 08-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Anything? Anything at all?
Old 08-21-2006, 05:25 PM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Kenmore

Get on as a CFI and work your way into float charter, but again why would you do that? Just go to a regional and work your way towards the left seat. None of us are so young that we can afford to burn a few years goofing off. In my experience the majors like young success. They don't understand people who pursue adventures in their youth when there are good regional jobs to be had.

SkyHigh
Old 08-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I don't think I want to end up flying jets. I would rather fly floats or tailwheel. People make money flying beavers on floats, and get to be home every night. There are quite a few places around here (Seattle and Vancouver area) that have 135 or corprate operations flying floats. I just cant figgure out how to get the float time to get hired by them.
Old 08-21-2006, 06:45 PM
Self Employed.

Default Floats

Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I don't think I want to end up flying jets. I would rather fly floats or tailwheel. People make money flying beavers on floats, and get to be home every night. There are quite a few places around here (Seattle and Vancouver area) that have 135 or corprate operations flying floats. I just cant figgure out how to get the float time to get hired by them.
Buy my float plane and build the time. It is the cheapest way to build float time. Keep it at RNT and get to know people about the area. That is what most end up doing unless they luck into a CFI float job.

I hate to break it to you but most those Beaver drivers don't make all that much. The jobs are mostly seasonal and the pay is low. 4 to 6,000 per season is common. Outside of that you have to luck into a good corporate gig but most of those guys are able to pull double duty on the citation as well. Even then they still don't make all that much.

I know from experience. I have flown floats in the Seattle area and in Alaska.

SKyHigh

PM if you would like some plane info or if you have any questions. I have the low down on almost every float operator in the NW.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: 767A (Ret)
Default Floats

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
I have the low down on almost every float operator in the NW.
Skyhigh,

How about Taquin Air in Ketchikan? I've taken Misty Fjord flights with them twice and was impressed. Seemed like a professional outfit with pilots who really enjoyed their work.

Tom
Old 08-21-2006, 08:33 PM
Self Employed.

Default Taquan

Originally Posted by tomgoodman View Post
Skyhigh,

How about Taquin Air in Ketchikan? I've taken Misty Fjord flights with them twice and was impressed. Seemed like a professional outfit with pilots who really enjoyed their work.

Tom
As with most Alaska flying jobs it only stays fun for so long and $3500 a month doesnt really go that far in AK. In the end most are right back where they started from wondering what they will do for a living and seaplane time isn't worth anything outside of Alaska.

Fun for a while but doesnt really do anything for life or career advancement.

SKyHigh
Old 08-21-2006, 08:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
I have the low down on almost every float operator in the NW.
Any info on Kenmore?

I know a few float pilots make descent money around here, although probably not most. I know that they aren't going to be the same as a pilot flying a jet. Perhaps the money is in Alaska? Even if the money really isn't great, I still don't see myself flying jets long term. Maybe for a while, but I really think that I would burn out. You kind of know where I am, want to fly floats (or tundra tires), don't want to go the jet route, what would you say is the best way to get there? Keeping in mind that I am a CFI and can't afford your float plane. Although, I would LOVE to buy a float plane, but working as a CFI doesn't give me the extra income to do that at the moment. If you ever find yourself flying it by yourself, let me know, I will come keep you company. Or, if you need someone to run the engine every now and then, I am your guy.

-Shaun
Old 08-21-2006, 09:09 PM
Self Employed.

Default Floats

Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Any info on Kenmore?

I know a few float pilots make descent money around here, although probably not most. I know that they aren't going to be the same as a pilot flying a jet. Perhaps the money is in Alaska? Even if the money really isn't great, I still don't see myself flying jets long term. Maybe for a while, but I really think that I would burn out. You kind of know where I am, want to fly floats (or tundra tires), don't want to go the jet route, what would you say is the best way to get there? Keeping in mind that I am a CFI and can't afford your float plane. Although, I would LOVE to buy a float plane, but working as a CFI doesn't give me the extra income to do that at the moment. If you ever find yourself flying it by yourself, let me know, I will come keep you company. Or, if you need someone to run the engine every now and then, I am your guy.

-Shaun
If your dream is to fly floats and tundra tires then I would head for Alaska and work on the docks for a season or two. Also, you could get hired at Soundflight or Kenmore as a float CFI and build time that way. In the end though it is always the same. You will realize that the money is bad, there are few women, there is no future in it and you might just get killed. Those who stay end up as poor lonely bush geeks without a life.

I can give you a long list of names to phone who would tell you the same story. I have one friend right now who has been a Beaver pilot for the last 10 years or so and every spring he does everything he can in efforts of getting out of the life he so diligently worked to get into. He works seasonally for a lodge and can't stand it anymore. To get his break he had to buy a Cessna 172 on floats in order to get his initial time. Insurance is non-existent for most new seaplane pilots. However you can waste a lot of summers waiting for opportunity to strike that might never come.

Flying that fun bush stuff is like eating a Twinkie. Tastes great but empty calories.

Many who fly for the airlines wouldn't do it except that it offers a schedule, benifits and as close to a normal life as one can get and still fly. If I thought I could earn a real living as a seaplane pilot in SEA I would be there in a heartbeat.

I received a tip that Kenmore was hiring caravan pilots a year or so ago and I had a interviewed if I wanted it. The pay was 2400/month. No thanks. Perhaps if I ever become financially independent I could do something like that but in SEA that wouldn't go far at all.

SKyHigh

Last edited by SkyHigh; 08-21-2006 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: A320/321 FO

When I was in college, our chapter of Alpha Eta Rho went to SEA for the whole Boeing 'shah-bang' and we went for a ride on one of Kenmore's Turbine-Otters, and our pilot was a Captain on the CRJ for SkyWest. He said that he flight instructed on float planes for about 500 hours, and now he just flys for them on the side on his off days. (I think Kenmore req's are 500 Float time) He says that it is nice to be able to actually 'fly' an airplane...other then just pushing buttons on the RJ day after day...

Lax