Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

CFII & Check Airman

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 04:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2009
Default CFII & Check Airman

Curious if anyone can point me in the right direction here:

I'm a CFI/MEI/ATP holding a check airman authorization for both proficiency and line checks in the Lear 60. I'm not a CFII however. Since I can train and evaluate pilots in instrument operations, conduct 135.297 checks etc... is there a chance for me to obtain the CFII by submitting paperwork to the FSDO without a checkride? Has anyone ever done this? I couldn't find anything in the 8900 series.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Originally Posted by PW305 View Post
Curious if anyone can point me in the right direction here:

I'm a CFI/MEI/ATP holding a check airman authorization for both proficiency and line checks in the Lear 60. I'm not a CFII however. is there a chance for me to obtain the CFII by submitting paperwork to the FSDO without a checkride?

Thanks!
I could be wrong here, but I highly doubt it. The instrument rating on the CFI certificate is a separate add-on which has always required the check ride. Might want to contact the FSDO for their take on this.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks wizepilot,
I figured I'd tap the knowledge bank here before I make a call to the FSDO. I'm fairly sure I've heard of someone obtaining their CFI during their initial check airman observation... might not help in my situation but I've been surprised before.

Thanks again
Old 10-28-2011, 08:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: B-757/767 Capt.

If you find that it is possible, please post.
Thanks
Old 10-28-2011, 10:57 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2010

You could have gotten your CFII if you would have applied for it during you Check Airman observation ride with the FAA. You can not submit the paperwork after the fact, unless your FSDO is VERY easy going. Just obtain it on your next FAA observed .297 or Check Airman checkride.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: B-757/767 Capt.

Originally Posted by LittleJet View Post
You could have gotten your CFII if you would have applied for it during you Check Airman observation ride with the FAA. You can not submit the paperwork after the fact, unless your FSDO is VERY easy going. Just obtain it on your next FAA observed .297 or Check Airman checkride.
Are you sure you can get your INITIAL CFII on a check airman checkride?? I have heard you can renew but not apply for the initial. I hope I am wrong. Do you know the reg that allows it? I sure would like to apply at my next Check Airman / Designated Examiner renewal. I know you must get the writtens (knowledge test) on your own.
Thanks
CG
Old 11-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2007

You will, at the very least, need your written results I think. For the most part I think they will renew or re-issue. I have not heard of someone getting an initial.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: Jets and Props

You can do this at the ABQ FSDO. Call your local FSDO and find out. Can't hurt to try
Old 11-09-2011, 05:31 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2010
Position: Either One

Yes, do it through your POI and have him/her observe you during an initial new hire candidate during the approved in house course, flight training and checkride.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by PW305 View Post
Thanks wizepilot,
I figured I'd tap the knowledge bank here before I make a call to the FSDO. I'm fairly sure I've heard of someone obtaining their CFI during their initial check airman observation... might not help in my situation but I've been surprised before.

Thanks again
I would ask at least two fsdo's what their take on it because everyone interprets the law differently. If you don't have two near you, go to the one fsdo and ask at least two Inspectors and choose the one that says you can do it.