Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Ameriflight To Southwest

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 02:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005

I think that's one reason i'd like to fly 135 before I jump right to the regionals, if that's where I decide to go. Right now im doing Aerial Surveying, I was instructing and flying traffic watch before that. Just trying to see and try a little bit of everything while i'm young.

Plus that multi time will be a lot nicer than dropping a few grand to get to 100 ME TT.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:13 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2006

Some captains at Air Cargo Cariers with Shorts 330 and 360 pic time have gone to FedEx and ATI. Some used good connections to get interviews though.

It was nice to see posts indicating part 135 turboprop time can get you some good jobs.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: 737 Captain
Default ???

Originally Posted by TransMach View Post

It's the WHOLE PACKAGE!

If you want to get to the majors/LLCs/Worldwide Freight carriers, get the whole package together.

TransMach
Seriously now, what does your "package" have to do with flying airplanes?
Old 11-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006

Southwest fires pilots for takeoff — of their uniforms
By Chris Woodyard, USA TODAY
Southwest Airlines has fired two pilots for allegedly turning their cockpit into a clothing-optional playpen.
The pilot and co-pilot — both men — were dismissed for allegedly taking off all or most of their clothes in the cockpit of their aircraft.
Maybe if thier package was good enough they wouldn't have been fired. Heheheheh!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2013, 10:05 AM
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by CaptainTeezy View Post
Does anyone know if anyone has ever worked at Ameriflight and gone directly to Southwest or any other big 121 carrier with out any 121, military, or Turbojet experience??? Thanks!
Numerous direct to SWA -- as well as most other US majors and regionals and even a few large foreign carriers. This isn't a guarantee that every 1500-hour Chieftain driver is an automatic hire at the majors, but they'll pick the best candidates they can find, and they've found quite a few at Ameriflight. They like our real-world IFR scheduled line flying training and experience.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2011
Position: E175, Left
Default 7 year old thread!

It's aliveeeee
Old 07-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2012

Seven years in this business is too old for accurate hiring information today.

We hopefully will have a better information in the next year or so.

As far as I know we haven't hired any AMF pilots since early the last decade.
Old 07-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: 'Bus Driver Right Seat

Originally Posted by Oldog View Post
Numerous direct to SWA -- as well as most other US majors and regionals and even a few large foreign carriers. This isn't a guarantee that every 1500-hour Chieftain driver is an automatic hire at the majors, but they'll pick the best candidates they can find, and they've found quite a few at Ameriflight. They like our real-world IFR scheduled line flying training and experience.
There's a handful of us over at Allegiant right now that came straight out of the Metro, Brasilia, etc. A lot of my coworkers went on to some pretty nice 135 gigs as well. As SWABlue pointed out the last 10-years are a bad indicator for a lot of hiring trends.

BTW, thanks to John for reviving a 7 year old thread!
Old 08-24-2013, 07:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010
Position: 747 Captain, retired

Originally Posted by CaptainTeezy View Post
Does anyone know if anyone has ever worked at Ameriflight and gone directly to Southwest or any other big 121 carrier with out any 121, military, or Turbojet experience??? Thanks!
Yes. I spent 8 years at Cal Air Charter (Ameriflight) and went straight to UAL. Ameriflight offers some of the most challenging flying experiences available to a low-time pilot. Ameriflight primarily is a Single-Pilot operation that operates day and night, in challenging weather conditions. Like the great J. Hazlet once said: "Ameriflight is like a self-cleaning oven; if you are a weak or unsafe pilot this job will chew you up "(Im paraphrasing here)
Old 08-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by krudawg View Post
Yes. I spent 8 years at Cal Air Charter (Ameriflight) and went straight to UAL. Ameriflight offers some of the most challenging flying experiences available to a low-time pilot. Ameriflight primarily is a Single-Pilot operation that operates day and night, in challenging weather conditions. Like the great J. Hazlet once said: "Ameriflight is like a self-cleaning oven; if you are a weak or unsafe pilot this job will chew you up "(Im paraphrasing here)

Would you disagree then, that this industry as changed, and the relevant gap between AMF and the majors has not increased in size?