Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Metro drivers....need help finding some info

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 02:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: Chair Flying
Default Metro drivers....need help finding some info

I was just given a class date on short notice to attend flight saftey San Antonio to get PIC type . I'm just looking for info on what to expect and what I should focus on this weekend. Thank you. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005

Just like any training catch up on the limitations and memory items. The flows in the Metro aren't hard at all. Id say the most complicated system is the engine. Good luck
Old 09-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

Here is a comprehensive review from another forum:

The Metro.
The cockpit was designed by a midget and anyone of even normal size is very uncomfortable in them. Especially if you have long legs as the pedals are simply far too close to the seat so you have to bend your legs so far that it's practically impossible to get your feet onto the pedals at anything like a comfortable angle.

Fortunately the brakes, although fitted, don't actually work; they are there for show only and to amuse the ground engineers. So it's really not that important to get your feet where you would normally have them.

The control column was designed by a personal trainer, to improve your fitness by means of a continuous physical workout whenever any movement at all is required as they forces needed to move any control surface is in the tens of kilograms. If you can't benchpress two or three hundred kilograms, forget it.

Fortunately again, the engineers that designed the Metro had a sense of humour and made the ailerons so they don't really work much. They will roll the aeroplane roughly as fast as an oil tanker can turn, but no faster.

While on the subject of controls, I must mention the rudder; like most small aeroplanes it also control the nosewheel steering and this is where the Metro engineers must still be peeing their pants with laughter, with the nosewheel system being the result of something like ten completely unrelated bits of machinery all incorporated to make the Metro perform the complex tasks of .... left ..... and ...... right. The nosewheel system requires approximately two weeks to do a complete systems test on the taxi out to the holding point and so many Metros must return to be refueled before flight. Fortunately it works randomly but the aeroplane can be steered on the ground by means of futilely stabbing at the brakes (I use the term loosely) and moving the power levers to vary the noise left to right.

Then there's the stall detection and Stall Avoidance System, which is designed to kick in just before landing; to do this, it senses a completely normal airspeed in the landing configuration just before landing, and then activates the stick pusher without warning, thus making the Metro land on the nosewheel and bounce down the runway.

Normally this would be uncomfortable for the passengers, if you are carrying any, but they are probably still unconscious from the lack of pressuristation due to the Metro being fitted with door seals made from molten ear wax and the bleed source a small 12 volt hair drier fitted to each engine. Even though the door seals may keep a tiny fraction of the air in the cabin and they whistle a loud revelry to keep the passenges awake, they are often wearing foam ear plugs to block the noise and are likely to be blacked out from the cabin being something like 1,000' below the cruise altitude.

Fortunately, the Metro engineers had already considered the dual problems of trying to keep the passengers subdued and also making the ailerons a mere amusement, so they gave the machine a tiny little thin wing that only works when you are travelling along at many hundreds of knots. The wing is also very handy for smacking your head into, to remind you how lucky you are to be in aviation .... in case you had forgotten.

Speaking of engines, again the Metro engineers excelled themselves by choosing engines that have the unique blend of being complete and utter p***ks to start unless you have a nuclear power station plugged in (good forethought again - the ground power plug is often on the side of the nacelle near the prop, to help keep the ground crew cool as they unplug you), they also make more noise than said nuclear power station blowing up, and they also take 1.2 weeks to complete a start cycle. So at least when flying a Metro you develop the ability to think ahead. The propeller is also capable of reverse pitch, and this is used to make more noise on landing with the noise reflecting on the airframe to slow it to taxi speed.

Back to the cockpit. While it may seem great fun to blast around the skies in a semi-pressurised aircraft that can barely be controlled - assuming it'll start - you can't actually see where you're going due to the windows being too small. To be fair there's a large-ish window on the side, but it often vibrates so much that nothing useful can be seen from it. This is assuming you're lucky enough to be flying in warm weather, for in colder conditions that require window heat only the window directly in front of each pilot has a tiny section of it heated, so if you thought you couldn't see much before you will see even less now.

The various controls & instruments in the cockpit were strategically positioned by means of a very large shotgun and many cases of beer I suspect. Fortunately, most of them don't read very accurately or indeed at all. A large number of the switches were labelled by means of picking suitable-sounding words from a brown paper bag. The radar is merely a Nintendo Gameboy converted to black & white, yet still has the batteries removed so it doesn't work. Every internal light is designed to illuminate dimly and also burn you if you foolishly fiddle with it to make it brighter.

If you do decide to go attempt to commit aviation in one, you first have to tackle the front door. It's hinged at the bottom and has a single handle to open & close/lock it. Sounds simple, but again the trusty Metro engineers decided that the door should be fitted with a totally reliable lift-assist device that detects the strength of the person trying to operate it, and if the person is weak then the door is scheduled to get no assistance at all, and vice-versa. The chains fitted to either side to stop the door from (mostly) plunging deep into the ground when opening are also designed to fall to the side when closing the door to make it jam, with the bonus of also damaging the door seal. But the Metro engineers weren't finished there, they decreed that even if you'd managed to lift the heavy door up and grow another arm or two to get the chains out of the way, then it has just enough twist in it so it simply won't shut. Well some doors are scheduled to only shut when slammed for the 3rd or 4th time with at least a grunt and swear word. It's then impossible to visually sight if the door is close as the inspection ports for the door pins are made from cataracts extracted from the eyes of old pilots. Fortunately it works nearly perfectly every single time you shut it from outside, though it must be a member of the flight crew that shuts it, not any old person on the ground. Engineer humor again I suspect ....

I like the water/meth on takeoff.

Does that answer your question?

You've been warned...

GF
Old 09-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: 767A (Ret)

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
The cockpit was designed by a midget and anyone of even normal size is very uncomfortable in them. Especially if you have long legs as the pedals are simply far too close to the seat so you have to bend your legs so far that it's practically impossible to get your feet onto the pedals at anything like a comfortable angle.
They must have heard there was going to be a pilot shortage...
Old 09-20-2012, 09:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: G650 Captain

ROFL....Galaxy that was a stellar description of the Metro.

Determined...say hello to the "San Antonio sewer pipe", err the "Texas lawn dart" err the "Metro" for me. It wast my first ride in the 121 world. Its been said that if you can fly the Metro you can fly anything.

There are some good things about it. Well okay, a couple. First those ailerons that the engineers didn't move when the airlines wanted an increased MTOW and now reside about six feet inboard of the wingtip provide for a stable ride through turbulence....unless of course you really got tossed about and need said ailerons to right your ship. Second, bring the power to idle and the speed levers high and have fun doing a 10,000 foot downwind leg visual approach. Gotta get your kicks somehow.

Oh, and have fun doing single engine ILS approaches where you have to lean forward and look over the yoke because you can't see the attitude indicator due to the fact that you are using almost full aileron into the good engine because those ailerons are so ineffective in their new inboard position.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

That was spot on.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:18 PM
Rubber dogsh#t out of HKG

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: Senior Seat Cushion Tester Extraordinaire

Galaxy,

I agree with everything except for what you said about the size of the cockpit. I am 6'5" and had no problem with room in the cockpit. It was comfortable, even for the 4.5ish hours from SDF to ELP.

To add; If your load is aft heavy enough, you might have a problem with latching the cargo door. Just get a line guy to get his shoulder about where the tail stand is and push up. With coordination, the door will latch every time.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2011
Position: AT802

Wow! And to think I always wanted to fly one.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Radials Rule View Post
Galaxy,

I agree with everything except for what you said about the size of the cockpit. I am 6'5" and had no problem with room in the cockpit. It was comfortable, even for the 4.5ish hours from SDF to ELP.

To add; If your load is aft heavy enough, you might have a problem with latching the cargo door. Just get a line guy to get his shoulder about where the tail stand is and push up. With coordination, the door will latch every time.
You got to be kidding. I'm 6 ft and my back is not happy with me. I can't imagine.

On a side note, don't worry about that puddle of Jet-A under the fuselage. It's perfectly normal.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: LR-60

Originally Posted by stis202 View Post
On a side note, don't worry about that puddle of Jet-A under the fuselage. It's perfectly normal.
Awesome thread! Good luck in Upgrade!