Air Med jobs.... Work schedule?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 10:30 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Turboprop guy..
Default Air Med jobs.... Work schedule?

Hi,

I'm interested in air med jobs and was wondering if the week on/week off schedule is normal or the exception for this type of job.

Thanks...
Old 06-24-2013, 02:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011

Are you referring to the AirMed company - if so PM me
Old 06-24-2013, 03:12 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: GLG20

That seems to be pretty typical. My company does 4 on 4 off.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:23 AM
Line Holder

I'm not really looking at any particular company. I would like to apply to some if they work week on week off or better. I want to continue to live in North Carolina but don't mind being gone up to 15 days or even 30 days if I get same off in return.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:26 AM
Line Holder

BHMDiversion.... your box is full...
Old 06-24-2013, 04:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

When I flew EMS (single-pilot, C90s) it was 14 On, 7 Off with a 3-pilot base. 6-12 months later we went to a 4-pilot base and it changed to 7 On, 7 Off. We worked 12 hr shifts and carried a pager. At the time we were able to be "on call" from home as our response time was 30 minutes. I don't work there now, but they have to remain on base with a 15 min wheels' up time IIRC. They are still 7 On, 7 Off at most bases, but I believe some are 14/14 due to crew preference.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011

Sorry about that... Please resend and I can answer all questions for you
Old 06-26-2013, 06:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dream Job

I'm dying to get in this industry but everyone wants 500 hours of multi, which is tough to get. You'd think a multi ATP would be enough.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Originally Posted by tlove482 View Post
I'm dying to get in this industry but everyone wants 500 hours of multi, which is tough to get. You'd think a multi ATP would be enough.
Not to sound harsh, but there's a big difference in having fresh Multi-engine ink on a certificate and having experience in multi-engine aircraft. EMS jobs are very, very challenging. Often you're single-pilot (I was) and flying through (hopefully around) the worst weather at all hours of the night and into 3000ft strips in the middle of nowhere (black-hole approach, anyone?). It was a fun job and I sure enjoyed it, but minimums are there for everyone's protection- including yours.

The EMS industry is already under a huge microscope. Insurance companies, no doubt, are doing the driving on a lot of the AMEL minimums. My wife and I had to "suck-it-up" for a short time while I took a 135 multi-engine freight job that payed $1200/mo before taxes. You may need to do the same...sure, it sucks, but it's a good way to get 500-600 hrs of ME time in 6 months.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by tlove482 View Post

Originally Posted by KingAirDriver View Post
Not to sound harsh, but there's a big difference in having fresh Multi-engine ink on a certificate and having experience in multi-engine aircraft. EMS jobs are very, very challenging. Often you're single-pilot (I was) and flying through (hopefully around) the worst weather at all hours of the night and into 3000ft strips in the middle of nowhere (black-hole approach, anyone?). It was a fun job and I sure enjoyed it, but minimums are there for everyone's protection- including yours.

The EMS industry is already under a huge microscope. Insurance companies, no doubt, are doing the driving on a lot of the AMEL minimums. My wife and I had to "suck-it-up" for a short time while I took a 135 multi-engine freight job that payed $1200/mo before taxes. You may need to do the same...sure, it sucks, but it's a good way to get 500-600 hrs of ME time in 6 months.
I had a chance to chat with an EMS pilot one time at a small airport while waiting for some of my squadron friends to fly in. I asked about minimums required and he told me 3000TT . I said 'Wow! Most people I know getting out of the military don't have that much time.' The guy said - 'Yep - insurance mins ar the driving factor'.
As far as being challenging, a guy I work with flew some for a period of time. His story about his first call out in a snowstorm gives me a chill.

I agree - not a job for a newly minted anything pilot.
It does sound like an interesting job though and something that I could be interested in.