Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Air Med jobs.... Work schedule?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by gsoflyer View Post
Could any of you guys working in air med care to answer my original question... ;-)
Just wondering about schedules.... :-)

Thanks!
Depends. For a 135 who picks up AA flights in addition to normal stuff, I think it's rare. For companies who focus on EMS, I think it's standard. I've seen one that doesn't do it.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Could any of you guys working in air med care to answer my original question... ;-)

Thanks!
I answered your question back on Page 1, post #6.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:20 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Turboprop guy..

Originally Posted by KingAirDriver View Post
I answered your question back on Page 1, post #6.
King Air Driver... yes you did! :-)
And thank you!!
I just figured a bunch of other people were chiming in so I wanted their opinions too :-)

Anybody here know of a company called Lifeguard Air out of Pensacola, FL? I grew up there... would be nice to go back.... Thanks
Old 07-01-2013, 12:36 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2013
Position: C90 air ambulance pilot

Thanks!
I work for an air ambulance company in the Mid West,
We work 8 and 6 as capt and 10 and 5 as an FO
Old 07-07-2013, 03:46 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2011

We have an 8 day on 4 day off schedule. 1/2 hour call out during the day, one hour at night, but we fly more charter than ambulance flights.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Slightly less broke side of RJ

Was hoping to get into this side of the industry and i have about 4k tt with 2k multi 135, just curious where to start.

Those that work/worked in EMS have any tips for finding the positions when they open? Any flight departments that should be avoided like the plague? etc etc

A C90 or light jet EMS gig in the northeast would be a dream job.
Old 07-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Originally Posted by l2flare View Post
Was hoping to get into this side of the industry and i have about 4k tt with 2k multi 135, just curious where to start.

Those that work/worked in EMS have any tips for finding the positions when they open? Any flight departments that should be avoided like the plague? etc etc

A C90 or light jet EMS gig in the northeast would be a dream job.
There are semi-frequent postings on the orange site. Unfortunately fixed wing EMS is really tough to find in the northeast, especially single pilot stuff. Most single pilot EMS will be based out of sparsely populated areas. The central, southwest, and northwest have a lot going on.
Old 07-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012

What the the typical Mins for FO's and what plane do they use FO's in. I am assuming the king air work is all single pilot?
Old 08-30-2013, 05:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: 320 right side

I've been in the air ambulance field for 13 years now, flying out of north Carolina. 2 king air B200's and 2 Citation Ultras. 2 pilots on both. The hospital owns all the airplanes along with 3 helo's. schedule is 5 on 5 off for FO's and 4/4 for captains. We rotate days and nights 12 hour shifts. Our company is not a time builder since we have the great schedule, but I'm home every night unless I'm on the night shift. I the past 13 years I've probably done 9 or 10 overnights. The pay standard, could be a little better, great people to work with, as the nurses work for the hospital also, so we fly with the same group all the time. We fly in all weather, however we don't get questioned if we cancel a flight due to weather. It's not worth pushing the envelope. We have never had an incident (knock knock) and that's due to the high level of training and recurrency we have to go through. All in all a great place to be if you like quality of life instead of high pay.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:35 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2009
Position: 680+

King Air Driver... yes you did! :-)
And thank you!!
I just figured a bunch of other people were chiming in so I wanted their opinions too :-)

Anybody here know of a company called Lifeguard Air out of Pensacola, FL? I grew up there... would be nice to go back.... Thanks
I grew up in Pensacola and have heard of them. I knew one of the nurses that worked for the company in another city... Did you go to high school in Pensacola?