Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

FBI's aviation program

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:45 PM
Che Guevara

Joined APC: Aug 2005

Originally Posted by jungle View Post
They have several aircraft(varies) and last time I checked you had to be an Agent. Their policy of making Agents pilots istead of pilots agents has already cost them dearly. My info is probably dated, but I doubt much has changed. Not really the place to be if you want to be a pilot.
Border patrol is the same way. I have no idea why they do it but they do.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:17 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2006

MikeB525 what kind of airplanes did they fly in NJ, do they only do small single engine?
Old 12-04-2006, 09:02 AM
Bored

Position: Grumman Torture Device (weekends only)

Border patrol is the same way. I have no idea why they do it but they do.
One, because even in a plane you are subpoenable, not to mention you need to know the rules regarding law enforcement while you are flying (why on my drug ops deployment we had Coast Guard guys on a Navy ship and why we always flew with them, and why we couldn't share our intel with them as it became subpoenable after a bust, and we didn't want to burn our sources)

Two, if you put an officer in a plane, they are a cop first and pilot second which means they probably are not going to go to XJT after they get 1500 hrs. Good use of taxpayer dollars.

Spongebob
Old 12-04-2006, 09:57 AM
Che Guevara

Joined APC: Aug 2005

Originally Posted by Spongebob View Post
One, because even in a plane you are subpoenable, not to mention you need to know the rules regarding law enforcement while you are flying (why on my drug ops deployment we had Coast Guard guys on a Navy ship and why we always flew with them, and why we couldn't share our intel with them as it became subpoenable after a bust, and we didn't want to burn our sources)

Two, if you put an officer in a plane, they are a cop first and pilot second which means they probably are not going to go to XJT after they get 1500 hrs. Good use of taxpayer dollars.

Spongebob
You could still hire a pilot and send him to the accademy. And noone leaves to go to XJT. They start out at $70+ and if they work an extra 2hrs a day they get a 20% bonus. Who the hell would leave that. Subpoenable doesn't mean anything if the pilot works for the agency. Rule regarding law enforcement is easier than learning to fly from scratch. The guys in the air rarely communicate with any illegals. They more or less use FLIR and their eyeballs to communicate with ground units only.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006

I saw their hanger once at Lakehurst while on a Civil Air Patrol activity. It's pretty much what you thought; biggest aircraft was, IIRC, a Caravan. I think the others included RG Skyhawks and Skylanes.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:34 PM
On Reserve

Default Marlboro Airport

Mike,

Were you referencing Marlboro AIrport in Marlboro MAssachusetts? That parking lot airport in front of the apartment buildings that is only 1700 feet long I think?

I'm thinking about doing some short field work there... its so small man and those trees are too close to final.

Originally Posted by MikeB525 View Post
I saw their hanger once at Lakehurst while on a Civil Air Patrol activity. It's pretty much what you thought; biggest aircraft was, IIRC, a Caravan. I think the others included RG Skyhawks and Skylanes.
Old 04-18-2021, 09:24 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2021
Default FBI Aviation

I was a FBI Agent for 27 years.
I flew for 22 of them.
I started as an observer as I learned to fly.
My instructors were two agents. One was a former Navy instructor the other was a ex USAF KC-135 IP.
He was on furlough from a major carrier. All three of us subsequently retired as full time pilots.
I obtained my Private on my own.
I was eligible for GI Bill Flight straining so I expended all my benefits.
Received my Multi Engine, Instrument, Commercial CFI Multi and Instrument.
I subsequently applied and was transferred to the WDC area. So were my former instructors.
I was able to attend Flight Safety for the Mitsubishi Marquise, Commander Jet Prop, and the Sabreliner series.
Also flew several different piston twins. Plus a Citation V just before I left. Received my SE ATP on my own, ME when typed in the Sabre.
We did FLIR surveillance, expedite transportation, evidence transportation, aerial photography, and executive transportation.
A great job, I flew to all the contiguous 48 states, Central/S. America, Canada, and US Caribbean Islands.
I retired in 2021 making about a 100k+. I made as much in retirement as my take home pay.
My military service counted towards my annuity.
I never went back inside an FBI office for assignment and always had a take home vehicle.
I flew Sabres and the Hawker 800 for 10 years as a corporate pilot.
The last I knew my old unit got rid of all the turbo props except a DHC 8. Jets are GVs and Citation(s).
Field office aircraft were C-210s and C-182RGs and Caravans. The 210s and RGs have been replaced by C-206s.
Helicopters are a different bailiwick.
Jet Rangers, Bell 412s, Aerospatiale, and some Blackhawks.
We had a few NAPs (non agent pilots) but only one lasted to retirement.
An entirely voluntary program agents flow in and out.
Many would prefer to be investigators.
Some are only part time positions in smaller offices as opposed to Chicago, Detroit, Miami, and San Juan to name a few that the positions are full time.
I had a good career both as a street agent and pilot.
A few guys left for the airlines over the years, others opt for management.
A believe there is a pilot recruitment slot in the application process.

Last edited by the1dogman; 04-18-2021 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Addition to text.
Old 04-18-2021, 04:39 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2021

Originally Posted by kochankr View Post
hi, this might not be the right section to post this but wouldn't really fit anywhere...

in anycase, does enyone know anything about the FBI's aviation program? i really can't find much info on google...
The FBI pilot program has evolved quite a bit from the 2006 post. For one, they are hiring non-agent pilots all the time. They are mostly posting pilot positions on Indeed from time to time and for various cities. It’s a GS11/12 position and you are flying almost everyday if the weather is VMC. There is a 6-8 week training class everyone takes for job specifics and then flight training is conducted in house with on-board instructors. If you are into law enforcement and flying, then it’s a great career. It not a point A to point B type of job. Its serving your country in the field offices AOR.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2011

Originally Posted by MadMax72 View Post
The FBI pilot program has evolved quite a bit from the 2006 post. For one, they are hiring non-agent pilots all the time. They are mostly posting pilot positions on Indeed from time to time and for various cities. It’s a GS11/12 position and you are flying almost everyday if the weather is VMC. There is a 6-8 week training class everyone takes for job specifics and then flight training is conducted in house with on-board instructors. If you are into law enforcement and flying, then it’s a great career. It not a point A to point B type of job. Its serving your country in the field offices AOR.
Are they posted on USA Jobs as well?

I saw what looked like an old posting for non-agent flying position out of New Jersey, but there were no flight hours or any other required experience listed on the posting.
Old 04-25-2021, 12:52 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2020

Originally Posted by kaputt View Post
Are they posted on USA Jobs as well?

I saw what looked like an old posting for non-agent flying position out of New Jersey, but there were no flight hours or any other required experience listed on the posting.
Mins are 500 total time, 100 XC, 50 inst, 25 night.
Should be on fbijobs.gov